Creation/Distribution of runes

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

I don't recall stating that the Night and Sun Runes' powers were conjoined. I stated that they were conjoined, which means connected. I never implied that they were ever anything other than two separate True Runes. Also, the Night Rune did not create the Dawn and Twilight Runes. Those runes were created when the Night Rune turned into a sword and severed the bond between the itself and the Sun Rune, but never does it imply that it created those two runes.

Proof supporting this lies in the fact that the Dawn and Twilight Runes shares abilities similar to the abilities displayed by the Sun Rune. I would imagine that the aspect of the Dawn Rune is more similar to the Night Rune, though. I believe that those two runes share aspects of the Sun and Night Runes and were created by both when they were forcefully separated by the Night Rune's action.

Essentially, the Night Rune simply abandons the Sun Rune out of jealousy based on Old Book 2. The Dawn and Twilight Runes are simply what resulted from the separation.

As far as the Sun and Night Rune never connecting again, this is not stated, but it is certainly implied. The Night Rune would always feel threatened by the Sun's dazzling light and would never decide to subject itself to that again. And the act of severing a bond that links two sentient beings can be likened to the separation of siamese twins. Once separated, adjoining the two to one another again would only come as a detriment to the other or both of them. The Night Rune severed the bond for a reason and I doubt it is to once again be overshadowed by the Sun. Hence, the Dawn and Twilight Runes were borne into existence to fill the void left by the Night Rune.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

The Prophet wrote:
As far as the Sun and Night Rune never connecting again, this is not stated, but it is certainly implied. The Night Rune would always feel threatened by the Sun's dazzling light and would never decide to subject itself to that again. And the act of severing a bond that links two sentient beings can be likened to the separation of siamese twins. Once separated, adjoining the two to one another again would only come as a detriment to the other or both of them. The Night Rune severed the bond for a reason and I doubt it is to once again be overshadowed by the Sun. Hence, the Dawn and Twilight Runes were borne into existence to fill the void left by the Night Rune.
But you have to remember that we do not know anything about Rune Physics or whatever. If the writers decide that it is in the best interest of the plot for the Night Rune to bind itself back to the Sun Rune then they can do it. Using logic while having insufficient knowledge of how True Runes react to situations like that will only get you so far. But it's certainly a good theory.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Insufficient? Well, I would argue that we do have sufficient knowledge in this particular situation on how this True Rune, the Night Rune, reacts in this particular situation. It is quite evident that the Night Rune has no desire to be conencted to the Sun Rune and it appears to be quite evident, based on how the authors portray the Dawn and Twilight Runes functions, that they are meant to fill the void left by the Night Rune.

Also, with our many encounters with the Night Rune we see that it is determined to be worshipped and admired, not to play second fiddle to anything, i.e. how it treats Viktor and how it treats Edge. It seems clear to me that there is no intention for the Night Rune to ever join back with the Sun and the fact that it severed their bonds implies a definite finality to their parting. But, I guess you are right that there is always a possibility.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

The night rune is very egotisical, cocky and selfish. Which I am guessing is the opposite of the sun rune? Since the opposite of night is day, so I do agree that even if it COULD connect to the sun rune again why would it? It has a will of its own, if the writers were to connect them, they would have to make it where the night rune was force to rejoin the sun rune, if not it would interfare with the night runes own personality and contradict it. And ofcourse, the Twilight/Dusk and Dawn were there to replace the night rune when it transformed itself into a sword and severed the bond, I think that's their role, nother more or nothing less.

Below is the information of Old Book Vol.2, you all probably know this already, but for the record I will copy and paste it here from the post that was made by Seldio in the S5 section of the forums.

Old Book Vol.2

The Sun Rune and the Night Rune

Long, long ago, the Sun Rune and the Night Rune were born into the world, their existence intertwined. They had a strong bond between them, as one controlled light, while the other reigned over darkness.

Before long, however, the Night Rune became annoyed by the dazzling
brilliance of the Sun Rune. The Night Rune could stand it no longer!
Turning itself into a sword, the Night Rune severed the bond between them, and went off on its own.
From the fragments of the bond left behind, the Dawn Rune and the Twilight Rune were born. Ever since the Sun Rune lost its other half, legend has it that these two new Runes have remained by its side, acting as guardians.

I just remember something, didn't the Dawn and Twilight/Dusk seem a bit similar to the Bright Shield and Dark Sword, with them fighting each other. It probably is just a coincidence, but I thought I would give it a little recognition.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Iku

Post by Iku »

umm... if the sun rune and night rune were joined does that mean a bearer could bear two true runes! (just a thought!) i like the idea of the dawn and twilight rune filling the void that the night rune left.... so that might mean that the night rune suppresses the sun rune and vice versa :o
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

umm... if the sun rune and night rune were joined does that mean a bearer could bear two true runes! (just a thought!)
Not necessarily. They are still two separate runes. It might be possible that because of the fact that they were 'conjoined', humans were incapable of bearing it. Then again, there are that can bear more than one True Rune. It's just not naturally possible, as far as we know.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

Thing is, we don't know when the two runes separated so we can't say if people were around to bear them at all. What we do know is that there had to have been a physical connection between the two runes in order for the Dawn and Twilight runes to be born from the shattered remains. And there are ways to bear more than one true rune. Windy found out about this and that is why she was chasing after the Soul Eater Rune.

That is what I was trying to say about the Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes. That they are the way the Rune of Beginning chooses to symbolize the Sword and Shield in the Creation Myth. I hope this was clearer than what I said at first.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
EternalOnslaught

Well, from the contents of the old books. I would say they were seperated atleast around the time of the Ancient Armes Kingdom? Since it doesn't give any details about the king bearing Night and Sun rune. In theory I suppose it would be possible to bear them, if they were joined, and it wouldn't make you insane either. But I am sure when they first seperated was probably ages ago.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Well, accoriding to information in Suikoden 3, the World is at least 1000 years old. I would assume it happened at a point shortly after creation. I would imagine the forceful separation of two True Runes (enough power needed where two unique runes) could cause a number of devastating effects on the real world. But, remember that Sierra has seen the Night Rune in another form and I am going to speculate that Zerase has also. Sierra is over 600 years old if I remember correctly, so I would say the split happened at least 600+ years ago.
EternalOnslaught

Makes sense, I know the Village of the Blue Moon was around before the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, anyways enough of that. Wouldn't the ressurection rune also be a lower class/tier of the night rune considering it does a lot of damage to undead/creatures of the night foes.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

There is not enough information on the Resurection Rune to make a concrete statement because it is possible that this Rune is related to the Soul Eater based on the life property of that True Rune. There has been much speculation about this rune and many thought it was related to the Soul Eater until the Darkness Rune appeared.

I would speculate that it is in fact a descendent of the Night Rune, because traditionally the translation of the kanji for this rune when it appeared was Exorcism. The Night Rune has the power to harm the creatures of the Night, but has not hinted to abilities of resurection, but recall that I speculate that thie True Rune has the ability to return the fallen, giving them another chance. This perfectly discusses the abilities of the Resurection Rune. So, right now, I will say that it is more than likely a descendant of the Night Rune. But, that leaves the problem of the Star Rune..and now you see why I hesitate to say with certainty that the Resurection Rune is related to the Night Rune.
EternalOnslaught

Perhaps, I see why you hesitated about that. Maybe every true rune has a special kind of rune? As I remember, from a script in S5, I believe Zerase said something about the Star rune being derived from the night rune, also she stated about this would be a different story if she had the actual night rune/sword when confronting Sialeeds who at the time beared the Twilight Rune.

Also, there is not really any indication that the Star Rune is a special type of rune, but the Dawn and Twilight was able to choose its bearer, unlike your normal, typical everyday rune. You could say the Star Rune choose Zerase but they didn't go into much detail in the game about it.
EternalOnslaught

Sorry if this is considering double posting(since it has almost a full day) but I had to type this =)

Magic Beast Rune/Anime Rune/Cursed Beast Rune - True Beast Rune

I typed in another topic that the Magic Beast Rune is the closest thing we have to the actual power of the beast rune on a human being and its affects, since the True Beast Rune was living on a inanimated object. Since this rune is most certainly derived/child of the beast rune, perhaps someone bearing this rune would be a bad ideal. I would start to assume that the True Beast Rune might have the same effect as it's lesser form on a human being by keeping them in a animal state for most of the time. This is all I have for now, your opinions and questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.