a reason for the relative easiness?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Suikoden is unique in the sense that you decide the game's difficulty. For example, in Suikoden III, you could go for the last boss with all of the True Rune bearers and PWN that biznatch. Now, if you want it to be extremely difficult...

Take these characters:

Sanae Y, Rody, Koroku...

They're not bad characters persay but they're not the "I win" parties either. :3 Just my two potch.
GrayMercury

Re: a reason for the relative easiness?

Post by GrayMercury »

lol...yeah, i guess you could say that. I always get the mid-power characters....mainly mages and whatnot...i hardly use good, strong melee characters...

but the boss i had the most trouble with was suikoden III...i hated that if you didn't kill off the water rune first it kept healing and reviving the other rune incarnates...

but other than that...i didn't really have a tough time with the other bosses....
"Master, Violence is Wrong." - - Dongo (SV)
Spiraling Entropy

Re:

Post by Spiraling Entropy »

EternalOnslaught wrote:notably the persona installments and nocturna, if you thought random battles where bad, you haven't seen anything yet. .
Oh! The horror!
In Digitized Remorse
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re:

Post by KFCrispy »

Falenan_descent wrote: Sanae Y, Rody, Koroku...

They're not bad characters persay but they're not the "I win" parties either. :3 Just my two potch.
well Rody is a powerhouse... almost all mages with a decent Lightning score can be lethal in Suikoden III. you can easily bump him up to S and turn him into just another Lightning/Thunder power mage. that's how I used to use him.. but it's fun coming up with new setups now. BECAUSE the game is pretty easy, I can do more creative things with the characters, so I'm working on that now. that's one sort of benefit from the easiness.... but of course it would mean more to me if the game were challenging and I had to create great setups for all characters to take on powerful challenges..
darkphoenix

Post by darkphoenix »

IMO Suikoden's first aim is not to be a challenge, the whole point is to unfold the story up to the end. If you need to start over your game 5 times for each boss, you'd lose the plot details. Making Suikoden of an average difficulty tends it closer to a book/movie thab any other RPGs.

Plus, beating the games also means recruiting 108 characters, which never appeared as easy to me, particularly in the last one.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

definitely. i lose scope of the story when i am item farming or doing all these steps to beat an optional super boss.... but it's nice to have especially after playing an extremely linear game once--however, Suikoden does have a few plot changes with optional deaths, exchangeable Stars, not getting all 108 SoD, etc... but i do speed through the text and scenes on most replays; it's not going to change, unfortunately.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

I remember people complaining about IV's lack of difficulty too. In fact replaying one and two they were quite easy too. Three was not hard ether it just had a lot of battles you should not win.

And yeah Suikoden V does seem to have the hardest recrutmen of the games. Ok II may have been harder do to a character that could only be gotten once in the entire game.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I find Suikoden 5 the middle. Its not the easiest game and it's not the hardest. Suikoden 3 is the tougest and Suikoden 1 is the easiest. I find Suikoden 2 easier then 5 and 4 harder.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Jam-Jul Lison

Post by Jam-Jul Lison »

I haven't played the 5th game yet. However as for game difficulties, I would like to say that game are pretty easy in terms of battles once you know what you are doing.

The first Suikoden I actually ever played was Suikoden 1. This right here proved to be hard for me at the time. I lost count of the number of game overs I got. The war battles were a pain at first and getting all 108 stars was something I could only dream of. After spending many painstaking weeks of playing it, well more like a few months, i finally beat it.

The next played Suikoden 2 which I bought after beating Suikoden. The load data thing, i did not do because i had deleted my suikoden 1 data to make room for my Suikoden 2 data. At the time I found this just as hard as the first one. Then when I eventually got to Luca Blight, an endless cycle of game overs began. Then when I eventually reached the final boss, I was wishing I was fighting Luca again. lol. I did manage to beat it though. Took a lot of game overs to do it. In the end I was very proud of myself for beating it.

Over the years I played through Suikoden a few more times and Suikoden 2 a bunch of times. Each time discovering something new. Now when Suikoden 3 was released, I was not aware of it. So the next game in the series I played was 4. Now this one was a challange for me at first. That was until I finally learned the greatness of water and flowing runes. In 1 and 2, I had developed a bad habit of just trying to blast my way past all the bosses with magic. Which is probably why I hated the bright shield rune at first in 2. However this true rune forced me to utilize my healing magic. Now by this point in my suikoden gaming, i was at least good at getting lots of stars of destiny. So needless to say, I got Ted on my first play through. Once I got the dojo guy, I would train my guys like crazy in there. However by the time I got to the final boss, i found that everything in that area was rather easy to beat. Especially considering I had ted in my party. I also had some healing runes on the hero and on ted.

With this newfound knowledge, i began to try it out on 2. My copy of one have already come up missing by this point. I found things to be even easier because of it. Luca Blight was no longer much of a challange, though the beast rune still gave me some problems.

Last Christmas I got Suikoden 3. I was really happy when I got this. At first I found it to be a little challanging in battles. Finding my way around was rather easy for me at this points thanks to online guides which I started using after my second play through of 4. However as the game progresses things seem to get a little easier. Then of course the final battle was probably one of the easiest. 4 true rune bearers + 2 dedicated healers, vs 1 true rune isn't exactly much of a challenge.

After that, I didn't play any of the games for a while. However after reading over stuff on Suikosource, I got the urge to play again. This time I experimented with the effect runes. In the past I used to just sell them. However when I began using them, the game became even easier. After beating the best rune again i decided to play through again. I just beat Luca Blight again the other day and have not played much since then. The reason being cause of the ease of which I beat Luca. More so then the time before that. Flick's party eliminated Luca in 2 Rounds. Viktor's in 3-4 rounds. With my hero's party, I defeated him in 2 rounds. Looking things now, I think my hero probably could have defeated him alone. With critical hits, he usually hits for a total of around 1000 damage. I have a fury rune and a double beat rune on him. So even without critical hits, he hits for around 1000 each turn. I also have the Friendship Rune on his weapon and have 3 fire emblems on him. His level is only in the 40's. I can't wait to see how hard he hits by the time I reach the beast rune. I am have tempted to use a codebreaker to replace his bright shield rune with a double-strike rune to see how much damage he does then. lol

The funny thing is, you can do similar stuff to this on 2, 3, 4 and i think 5 from what I have heard about it. However with 1, you are still limited to 1 rune. Because of how easy these seem to make the game, it stands to reason that in reality, 1 would be the hardest due to the 1 rune limit.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I found Suikoden 5 the easiest game if you follow the regular storyline. The characters int his game were harder to recruit then in most since I always find all 108 before reading any guides. If you look at it sidequest wise this one was one of the harder ones. Well to me anyway O_o
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

Jam-Jul Lison wrote:I haven't played the 5th game yet. However as for game difficulties, I would like to say that game are pretty easy in terms of battles once you know what you are doing.

The first Suikoden I actually ever played was Suikoden 1. This right here proved to be hard for me at the time. I lost count of the number of game overs I got. The war battles were a pain at first and getting all 108 stars was something I could only dream of. After spending many painstaking weeks of playing it, well more like a few months, i finally beat it.

The next played Suikoden 2 which I bought after beating Suikoden. The load data thing, i did not do because i had deleted my suikoden 1 data to make room for my Suikoden 2 data. At the time I found this just as hard as the first one. Then when I eventually got to Luca Blight, an endless cycle of game overs began. Then when I eventually reached the final boss, I was wishing I was fighting Luca again. lol. I did manage to beat it though. Took a lot of game overs to do it. In the end I was very proud of myself for beating it.

Over the years I played through Suikoden a few more times and Suikoden 2 a bunch of times. Each time discovering something new. Now when Suikoden 3 was released, I was not aware of it. So the next game in the series I played was 4. Now this one was a challange for me at first. That was until I finally learned the greatness of water and flowing runes. In 1 and 2, I had developed a bad habit of just trying to blast my way past all the bosses with magic. Which is probably why I hated the bright shield rune at first in 2. However this true rune forced me to utilize my healing magic. Now by this point in my suikoden gaming, i was at least good at getting lots of stars of destiny. So needless to say, I got Ted on my first play through. Once I got the dojo guy, I would train my guys like crazy in there. However by the time I got to the final boss, i found that everything in that area was rather easy to beat. Especially considering I had ted in my party. I also had some healing runes on the hero and on ted.

With this newfound knowledge, i began to try it out on 2. My copy of one have already come up missing by this point. I found things to be even easier because of it. Luca Blight was no longer much of a challange, though the beast rune still gave me some problems.

Last Christmas I got Suikoden 3. I was really happy when I got this. At first I found it to be a little challanging in battles. Finding my way around was rather easy for me at this points thanks to online guides which I started using after my second play through of 4. However as the game progresses things seem to get a little easier. Then of course the final battle was probably one of the easiest. 4 true rune bearers + 2 dedicated healers, vs 1 true rune isn't exactly much of a challenge.

After that, I didn't play any of the games for a while. However after reading over stuff on Suikosource, I got the urge to play again. This time I experimented with the effect runes. In the past I used to just sell them. However when I began using them, the game became even easier. After beating the best rune again i decided to play through again. I just beat Luca Blight again the other day and have not played much since then. The reason being cause of the ease of which I beat Luca. More so then the time before that. Flick's party eliminated Luca in 2 Rounds. Viktor's in 3-4 rounds. With my hero's party, I defeated him in 2 rounds. Looking things now, I think my hero probably could have defeated him alone. With critical hits, he usually hits for a total of around 1000 damage. I have a fury rune and a double beat rune on him. So even without critical hits, he hits for around 1000 each turn. I also have the Friendship Rune on his weapon and have 3 fire emblems on him. His level is only in the 40's. I can't wait to see how hard he hits by the time I reach the beast rune. I am have tempted to use a codebreaker to replace his bright shield rune with a double-strike rune to see how much damage he does then. lol

The funny thing is, you can do similar stuff to this on 2, 3, 4 and i think 5 from what I have heard about it. However with 1, you are still limited to 1 rune. Because of how easy these seem to make the game, it stands to reason that in reality, 1 would be the hardest due to the 1 rune limit.
god dude......lol. the way i beat Luca was sticking Sacrificial Jizzo's...or Buddas on all of the characters in the three parties. I had a lightening, resurection, water, and earth runes in each of the parties.....it wasn't an easy battle, but at least i didn't really have much to worry about.

the funny part is that it took me at least 60 times to come up with this strategy....and my sister was no help....she couldn't tell me what to do....even though she had introduced me to the series.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I found that it took me a while to be able to beat Luca easily, where as the final boss of that game was easy as pie.

My last play through, i beat him with all 3 parties and the lost to him in the Duel, how fricken sad is that?

Personally, i thought the easiest Suikoden in the game was 4. The characters were over all easy to find, the maps very linear, and the bosses simple to the extreme. With my Ogrefied Kika, i beat the final boss in 3 turns.

I found that the difficulty in these games matters very little to me, when i want to play an RPG i WANT it to be easy. I play for story, as thats what RPGs are designed for. If i want a game that takes me practice and skill to be good at, I'd play action/adventure or 1st person shooters or fighting games.

Its nice to have a new and innovative way to fight, i for one loved the fighting in Xenogears and Legend of Legaia, but i dont want the innovative fighting techniques to overrule the rest of the game.

I have Castlevania for that...
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

JanusThePaladin wrote:I found that it took me a while to be able to beat Luca easily, where as the final boss of that game was easy as pie.

My last play through, i beat him with all 3 parties and the lost to him in the Duel, how fricken sad is that?

Personally, i thought the easiest Suikoden in the game was 4. The characters were over all easy to find, the maps very linear, and the bosses simple to the extreme. With my Ogrefied Kika, i beat the final boss in 3 turns.

I found that the difficulty in these games matters very little to me, when i want to play an RPG i WANT it to be easy. I play for story, as thats what RPGs are designed for. If i want a game that takes me practice and skill to be good at, I'd play action/adventure or 1st person shooters or fighting games.

Its nice to have a new and innovative way to fight, i for one loved the fighting in Xenogears and Legend of Legaia, but i dont want the innovative fighting techniques to overrule the rest of the game.

I have Castlevania for that...
Amen to that.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would argue that Suikoden IV is one of the harder games because there are only a few stand-out characters, and you only get 1 Fury Rune. if you don't abuse Reinhold's training sessions and take some of the more normal characters to the final boss, it'll be a tough fight.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

What need have you for a fury rune when you can make Ogre Sets which autocast fury on your characters? The hero was not as stand out powerful as previous heroes, sure, and his rune's final spell was simply terrible, but honestly, they put just enough characters with power in that game that if you use them you can win easy. The only difficulty i had with that game was not throwing my controller at the screen when i sailed from Obel to Nay island.

THANK GOD FOR VIKI!