108?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Night

108?

Post by Night »

I thought it might be interesting to discuss what is so special about the number 108, and why it was chosen as the number of stars. Suikoden isn't the only game to utilise the number (the Tree of Life in The Legend of Dragoon, for example, produced 108 fruits which were different races).

108 is pretty much a sacred number in the Hindu-Buddhist civilizational sphere. Rosaries east of the Indus have 108 beads, the Nepalese parliament has 108 seats. The poses of Bhârata Natyam dancing, the number of gopî-s (cowgirls) enamoured of Krishna, the number of sacred sites in the tradition of Vishnu worship, the number of Buddhist arhat-s (realized saints), and many other sacred sets are all conventionally counted as 108. (http://koenraadelst.voiceofdharma.com/a ... hy108.html)

Mostly, the author in the above article puts it down to mathematical reasons coupled with distances in space
It could have been otherwise, but it so happens that the distance between the earth and the sun equals about 108 (actually 107-odd) times the sun’s diameter. Likewise, it so happens that the distance between the earth and the moon equals about 108 (actually 109-odd) times the moon’s diameter. That sun and moon look equally big in the earthly sky is the immediate result of their having the same ratio between distance and diameter. Moreover, it so happens that the sun’s diameter approximately equals 108 times the earth’s diameter.
Mathematically, there's details about 108 being the sum of 6² + 6² + 6² (thus involving the number 666), or that it equals 9 times 12, the product of two smaller sacred numbers.

So it happens that 108 tends to crop up a lot in certain places. Does anyone know of any other instances where it plays an important role, or any other reasons behind it? Because the Suikoden world wouldn't be the same without it.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

I always deal 108 damage when I get a headshot with the Famas/Clarion in Counter Strike: Source

Does that count? :D
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Also, if anyone watches the TV show Lost. 108 Plays a pretty big part in that show as well. And that show talks about Fate and Destiny a lot.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
LGM

Post by LGM »

Well, here are some other points about numbers in suikden, including 108:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1216
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Yeah, just continue conversation in that other thread.
I hope everything is going delicious.