Sindar

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Wraith

Sindar

Post by Wraith »

This may be known to some of you but I find it strange that no one has yet actually posted anything about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindar

apparently the Sindar are in the Tolkien Mythos wich are a race of Elven descent. It would be quite obvious that the creator of Suikoden has taken inspiration for the Suikoden Sindar from the Tolkien Mythos. The similarities might even be more than just their names. I just wanted to bring this to people's attention, I don't have any theories myself yet but I may add them later as I have to go right now.

Then again their similarities might be restricted to their names.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It would be quite obvious that the creator of Suikoden has taken inspiration for the Suikoden Sindar from the Tolkien Mythos
Obvious? It's "obvious" in the same way that it's "obvious" that Peter Jackson named "The Two Towers" after the 9/11 events, which would be not at all.

They share a name, so what?

And it was posted a lot when Suikoden III was new.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
It would be quite obvious that the creator of Suikoden has taken inspiration for the Suikoden Sindar from the Tolkien Mythos
Obvious? It's "obvious" in the same way that it's "obvious" that Peter Jackson named "The Two Towers" after the 9/11 events, which would be not at all.

They share a name, so what?

And it was posted a lot when Suikoden III was new.
I would've expected that it has been posted. But there are alot of people who do not know of it. And The Two Towers was writen a LONG time ago whilst the creator of Suikoden has made suikoden a long time after the Tolkien books so it makes it alot more probable that he took the name from the Tolkien Mythos than your statement.
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

True and true. The Japanese have a time-honored tradition of making literary and cinema references in video games, so it would be no surprise if the Suiko writers took inspiration from Tolkien. However, we haven't even SEEN a Sindar yet, so who knows what they look like? (They might be horrible monsters like the Fog Ship Captain in GS4, or pretty sparkly Tolkien elves. No clue.)
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Zombee wrote:(They might be horrible monsters like the Fog Ship Captain in GS4, or pretty sparkly Tolkien elves. No clue.)
Well it is said that the Fog Ship(together with the guide) are only a magical illusion. Though I do think the Fog Ship guide is a Sindar it dous not mean that the form we have seen is its true form.
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

Wraith wrote:
Zombee wrote:(They might be horrible monsters like the Fog Ship Captain in GS4, or pretty sparkly Tolkien elves. No clue.)
Well it is said that the Fog Ship(together with the guide) are only a magical illusion. Though I do think the Fog Ship guide is a Sindar it dous not mean that the form we have seen is its true form.
Now see, here's a funny thing: Ted never said that the thing you fight is a magical illusion. He just says it's made of magic. That doesn't necessarily indicate that you just defeated a shadow/fake captain/whatever, it just seems to indicate (to me) that you fought a magic creature/being.

Just a thought.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Zombee wrote:
Wraith wrote:
Now see, here's a funny thing: Ted never said that the thing you fight is a magical illusion. He just says it's made of magic. That doesn't necessarily indicate that you just defeated a shadow/fake captain/whatever, it just seems to indicate (to me) that you fought a magic creature/being.

Just a thought.
Note that thats why I said 'it is said'. But let not get on about the Fog ship Guide again. I think theres a seperate post for that. I extremely doubt that the Sindar look like The Fog Ship Guide does because of the Sindar ruins. The doors in the ruins are only of a normal mans height and would not let a creature the size of TFSG through.