Best Buddy Blues

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Mad Prince of Highland

Best Buddy Blues

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

I was wondering why the main characters best friend is always screwed. lets look at these characters one at a time: Ted, He wandered the world trying to escape from Windy. When he finally finds a tad bit of happiness living with Tir, he dies by the rune he sought to protect. Jowy, best bud for years, gets a rune and is now destined to battle with you. Tries very hard to make you quit a war he could of stopped. Even after he ascends the throne of Highland, he is defeated by Riou and blamed for countless deaths. Lulu, charged to his death when he saw his village in flames and attacked the captain for that matter. He lived in Hugo's shadow. Snowe, well, Snowe is just way too easy. He was mad that everyone liked Lazlo and nobody liked him. He was also upset that Lazlo got a true rune. People would not flock to him.
Now, one of my theories is that the best bud goes through hardship because A. He has known the hero for a long time. B. He is Jealous of the main hero.
C. Konami is trying to show you the struggles the hero must face, ie the loss of his best friend.
Point a is clear. Ted knew Tir for a long time, Jowy and Riou have been friends since kids, same with Hugo and Lulu, as well as Snowe and Lazlo. Point b is a little shakey. I think Ted is jealous of Tir that he got a normal childhood life. He did not have to struggle and wander aimlessly for 300 years. Jowy says in the good ending that he was jealous that so many people could flock to Riou and follow his cause and of how nice he was. He has been jealous since he was a child. Lulu has lived in Hugo's shadow. He does not have a pet griffon and they do not trust Lulu as much as the cheif's son. So when the chance to prove himself came, he died. Snowe was obviously jealous of Lazlo always one uping him at everything he tried. He failed as a captain, pirate, and a friend as he tried many times to hurt Lazlo out of jealous acts. Does anyone agree or disagree with me? Discuss.
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Wraith

Re: Best Buddy Blues

Post by Wraith »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:I was wondering why the main characters best friend is always screwed. lets look at these characters one at a time: Ted, He wandered the world trying to escape from Windy. When he finally finds a tad bit of happiness living with Tir, he dies by the rune he sought to protect. Jowy, best bud for years, gets a rune and is now destined to battle with you. Tries very hard to make you quit a war he could of stopped. Even after he ascends the throne of Highland, he is defeated by Riou and blamed for countless deaths. Lulu, charged to his death when he saw his village in flames and attacked the captain for that matter. He lived in Hugo's shadow. Snowe, well, Snowe is just way too easy. He was mad that everyone liked Lazlo and nobody liked him. He was also upset that Lazlo got a true rune. People would not flock to him.
Now, one of my theories is that the best bud goes through hardship because A. He has known the hero for a long time. B. He is Jealous of the main hero.
C. Konami is trying to show you the struggles the hero must face, ie the loss of his best friend.
Point a is clear. Ted knew Tir for a long time, Jowy and Riou have been friends since kids, same with Hugo and Lulu, as well as Snowe and Lazlo. Point b is a little shakey. I think Ted is jealous of Tir that he got a normal childhood life. He did not have to struggle and wander aimlessly for 300 years. Jowy says in the good ending that he was jealous that so many people could flock to Riou and follow his cause and of how nice he was. He has been jealous since he was a child. Lulu has lived in Hugo's shadow. He does not have a pet griffon and they do not trust Lulu as much as the cheif's son. So when the chance to prove himself came, he died. Snowe was obviously jealous of Lazlo always one uping him at everything he tried. He failed as a captain, pirate, and a friend as he tried many times to hurt Lazlo out of jealous acts. Does anyone agree or disagree with me? Discuss.
Nothing of it. Its just a Suikoden trademark. Don't look to far.
son_michael

Re: Best Buddy Blues

Post by son_michael »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:I was wondering why the main characters best friend is always screwed. lets look at these characters one at a time: Ted, He wandered the world trying to escape from Windy. When he finally finds a tad bit of happiness living with Tir, he dies by the rune he sought to protect. Jowy, best bud for years, gets a rune and is now destined to battle with you. Tries very hard to make you quit a war he could of stopped. Even after he ascends the throne of Highland, he is defeated by Riou and blamed for countless deaths. Lulu, charged to his death when he saw his village in flames and attacked the captain for that matter. He lived in Hugo's shadow. Snowe, well, Snowe is just way too easy. He was mad that everyone liked Lazlo and nobody liked him. He was also upset that Lazlo got a true rune. People would not flock to him.
snowe didn't even know lazlo got a true rune, he was upset because glen favored lazlo over him
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Actually, this is common in quite a few RPGs and other stories. Kind of adds more emotion to the story if someone close to the main character becomes their enemy or dies.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"Lulu, charged to his death when he saw his village in flames and attacked the captain for that matter. He lived in Hugo's shadow."

Umm first sentence is fact. second sentence is opinion. Lulu was just a kid so his emotional acts are understandable. I don't think Lulu wanted to be a fighter and wasn't trained to be one like Hugo. So i don't think he lived in Hugo's shadow.

Kyril had "family" friends also but hard to tell which one is his best.

Let's not forget, the main characters themselves suffered tragedies.
Tir- father duel, Ted self-soul-eaten
Riou- Nanami arrowed, Joey duel-not good ending
Hugo- Lulu death, village flamed.
Lazlo- self-explanatory
Kyril- father fished. not done with tactics yet, almost though.
Strategy is the key to victory!
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

I dont think Ted was jealous of Tir at all. He was happy for him since he didn't have to go through what he did. Tir did lose Gremio but was brought back if you had all SoDs. But it is true that all the main characters have something bad happen to the best friend or close friend. I dont think there is a connection but that this is just what happens when you have a big role.
Mad Prince of Highland

I guess i was wrong about Lulu and ted, oh well. The more you know :D :D :D
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:I guess i was wrong about Lulu and ted, oh well. The more you know :D :D :D
That is the best thing about theories. It makes you ask more questions and then makes you find more answers
Mad Prince of Highland

Thanks Persmerga, but im playing III again and Karayans are either women or warriors. Lulu was proud to be Karayan and prove to his mother he was strong. Where does it say he has no desire to be a warrior? Now, i agree i was reaching on the ted being jealous, i wanted a common trait besides bad things happening to them.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:Thanks Persmerga, but im playing III again and Karayans are either women or warriors. Lulu was proud to be Karayan and prove to his mother he was strong. Where does it say he has no desire to be a warrior? Now, i agree i was reaching on the ted being jealous, i wanted a common trait besides bad things happening to them.
yeah that is true about lulu but I was just commenting on Ted. I did just notice that about the karayans but beecham was a karayan also and no mention of his mother
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Mad Prince of Highland wrote:Thanks Persmerga, but im playing III again and Karayans are either women or warriors. Lulu was proud to be Karayan and prove to his mother he was strong. Where does it say he has no desire to be a warrior? Now, i agree i was reaching on the ted being jealous, i wanted a common trait besides bad things happening to them.
Okay--feminist time:

Karayans are Karayans--Men or Women can be Warriors--it's not separated.

Lucia was the chief and a fighter. Then there's Aila--another fighter. The lottery person was a man--not a fighter. See where I'm going?

As for the loss of a best friend/colleague: It's not just Konami, but it's a normal storyline ploy. Someone gets hurt in order to give the Hero the added encouragement to act.
Playing Suikoden III......
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

I think this kind of thing happen in S because the programmers want to make you f-e-e-l something when you play. It can be the loss of your best friend, or your best friend turning into enemy, him being something you did not know like a big coward,...
And who has not lost a friend -not necesarily dying of course, you can move to another city- or has felt betrayed in his life, or has found his/her old friend was not what you believed?
Mad Prince of Highland

Moonbay, i never said that women could not be warriors. I meant that you are warrior, or a woman who does not fight. (Though i was still wrong about the other things :D ) Thanks for the view Fu Su, i lost friends moving away, and now you have re opened the scars!
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Thats the best part of the suikoden series. I like it when the buddies become enemies or die. Its just so dramatic. Plus i love throwing the controller when you find out omg i just lost one of my strongest characters.
Mad Prince of Highland

Simeon wrote:Thats the best part of the suikoden series. I like it when the buddies become enemies or die. Its just so dramatic. Plus i love throwing the controller when you find out omg i just lost one of my strongest characters.
My Gremio in I was very strong, than....I was quite pissed.