The Rune of Punishment

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Felicitycat

The Rune of Punishment

Post by Felicitycat »

Okay, so I don't know if this is even something you would know.

Will the Rune of Punishment always be able to tell friend from foe? Or what is it doing?

This is weird, because when Brandeau used it, it eliminated Assassin, but when Glen used it, it did not eliminate the Gaien ships (or the Knights for that matter), and when Hero used it in Obel, it did not eliminate the Obel ships (including Lino's).

So what in Gaien's name is the Rune doing?
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

what are you talking about? glen eliminated the entire fleet that was attacking razril

the same can be said for lazlo, he eliminated another fleet, this time they were attacking obel

the rune of punishment is very simple to understand

its a bloodthirsty rune, it consumes the life of its bearer and moves on

what does it do? it causes complete death and destruction to all those around it, incinerating them to ashes

when it enters the forgiveness stage it no longer does what it wants, it becomes a tool for its master to use, this means that the ROP will never kill anyone or harm anything ever again unless Lazlo wills it
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

What Felicitycat is talking about is this:

Assassin, Brandeau's sidekick on the ship was destroyed along with everyone else but Lazlo when Brandeau used the RoP.

However, when Glen used it against the invaders of Gaien, the Gaien ships and the knights on the ground were spared.

Felicitycat is wondering if perhaps the RoP can tell from the bearer who to destroy.

Which is actually a good question.
Playing Suikoden III......
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

My guess is yes, I believe Brandeau was trying to take out everything, including himself and his crew. He seemed really eager to die in a way, to end his suffereing with the Rune. The reason I take it then for Lazlo not being killed was that either his Mother's protection or The Rune make it's choice on it's next host.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

or it's both factors combined. The rune chosed Lazlo as its next bearer with the influence of his mother.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Felicitycat

Post by Felicitycat »

So the rune knows from its user which targets to spare?

And another thing -- when Brandeau died, Lazlo would have been the next bearer, but Glen got in the way?
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Yes I remeber the scene looking something like that.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Yeah. Lazlo was out like a light, and Glen started talking, so the Rune probably thought that Glen was actually the next inheritor.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

The RoP will take the closest conscious and not dying person when transfering.
Yes, i think you can target your enemies with the RoP and spare the allies.
Strategy is the key to victory!
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

I think it will take the closest and strongest person as it's host.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

anokosa wrote:I think it will take the closest and strongest person as it's host.
It doesn't take the strongest.

Look at Cray's son. He was just a little boy.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I'm preety sure it only takes the closest concious person, though maybe lazlo was spared the first time because his mother prevented it{besides her preventing him from its attack}
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

son_michael wrote:I'm preety sure it only takes the closest concious person, though maybe lazlo was spared the first time because his mother prevented it{besides her preventing him from its attack}
You know, you may be right. She may have rendered him unconscious for that reason--hoping the Rune would just travel away. Although, unfortunately, it would have gone to someone on the other ship.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

The rune works like a normal rune in battle so yes it only kills the targets you want. But maybe Lazlo could control it better than anyone else.
Buff

Post by Buff »

son_michael wrote:I'm preety sure it only takes the closest concious person, though maybe lazlo was spared the first time because his mother prevented it{besides her preventing him from its attack}
actually lazlo was unconcious and when brandeau let the rune of punishment power go a big green shield around lazlo came up and saved him from the desruction power.

the only time it works perfect with out the side effects is in suikoden tactics.