Gods

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Oppenheimer wrote:A warning here that we're getting off topic. If no one has anything more to post on topic I'm going to have to lock this thread, thanks.
Let's see if I can swing this back around using the info just posted.

Now--occultism sheds another possibility onto the Shield/Sword thing.

Definition:

oc·cult (ə-kŭlt', ŏk'ŭlt') pronunciation
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See synonyms at mysterious.
4. Hidden from view; concealed.
1. Medicine. Detectable only by microscopic examination or chemical analysis, as a minute blood sample.
2. Not accompanied by readily detectable signs or symptoms: occult carcinoma.

Definition of supernatural:
su·per·nat·u·ral (sū'pər-năch'ər-əl) pronunciation
adj.

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
3. Of or relating to a deity.
4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
5. Of or relating to the miraculous.

n.

That which is supernatural.

We're not sure at what level of technology those who found the original runes were, but perhaps they discovered what they had through the Runes themselves. If I were a person from 1000 years ago, and I had a stone that was embedded in me suddenly show me things--I'd be impressed and think this was a supernatural phenomenon.

And say 26 of my friends have the same thing happen to them. We get together and start showing what those Runes can do. Of course, some would be feared, and others revered by the "common" people, but beliefs and observances would spring up, and as time would go on, and people discover what exactly these Runes were--the religious aspects would be cast aside, and instead of awe, we'd be feeling acceptance.

At this point, I think people are more awed by the fact that True Runes exist anymore....
Playing Suikoden III......
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I believe the fact that True Runes even exist is not widely known by the "common" people. Only the people in the know seem to even know that they exist let alone what they can do.

But, I do like the idea of people just happening to come across the True Runes and discovering about them through the True Runes' memories. That seems very plausible. That way the Creation Myth was started by those bearers and could have been spread through hearsay.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

you just contradicted yourself. firdtly you say that common people wouldnt know about true runes, then you say that the creation myth was spread by hearsay and gossip, which would have to involve the common people.

i belive that people know about true runes because they have at some point witnessed the power and then told other people, example, the wingers saw genkaku(sp?) with the BSR, then they recognised it when riou had it on too, and alo alot of stars of destiny, such as shu can instantly recognise the rune. and in 4 commander glen recognises the 'design' of the ROP, i could go on, but i dont wanna.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Glen did not know that it was the RoP. He didn't know what it was, since he said "What the hell are you?! What do you want from me?!". Anyways, I don't think that the Runes are well known among people. In S3, Hugo has never heard of them before and Sgt. Joe has only heard of them briefly. Granted, Hugo is only a child, but Joe is much older and if the Runes were well known, wouldn't more info be known about them too?
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

aydas_arrow wrote:you just contradicted yourself. firdtly you say that common people wouldnt know about true runes, then you say that the creation myth was spread by hearsay and gossip, which would have to involve the common people.

i belive that people know about true runes because they have at some point witnessed the power and then told other people, example, the wingers saw genkaku(sp?) with the BSR, then they recognised it when riou had it on too, and alo alot of stars of destiny, such as shu can instantly recognise the rune. and in 4 commander glen recognises the 'design' of the ROP, i could go on, but i dont wanna.
I think he meant the people of the present. Fire, Wind, Lightning, etc are pretty popular. I mean--you can buy them in shops.

Now, about the True Runes being known. The Creation--which, for argument's sake is what actually happened. Unfortunately, as time goes by, people tend to look at such things as nothing more than fairy tales. So, when a True Rune pops up--people are shocked. So, no, demon eye didn't contradict himself.

As for Glen and the RoP--simple.

The Rune didn't tell him because it didn't want to. It just used him.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

sorry, yeah your right, it was late and i was a bit tipsy, santamas eve, can you blame me?

i havent played 3, im in a pal region so i didnt know that hugo new nothing of the true runes, which does feel quite odd to me, especially since a true rune was active in that region not that long before he was born, but if hes only a child i susspose that could be the reason, or maybe Lucia hadnt told him about the first fire bringer war.

so in away for the common people the true runes are like to them like the roman/greek/egyptian pantheons of gods are to us, just a myth? or prehaps like the story of genisis in our modern times, lots of people take it as metophor and not the truth (sorry if anone is offended by that statement, i didnt mean to, but religion is always a minefield, especially when talking to Americans i find

anokosa

Post by anokosa »

well sometimes, not even bearers of true runes know about them. in 2, luc said when the beast rune was being released, 'ah, so that thing really does exist, eh?'
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

but that shows that luc did know of the beast rune, just wasnt sure if it truly existed, if you understand what i mean

Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

aydas_arrow wrote:but that shows that luc did know of the beast rune, just wasnt sure if it truly existed, if you understand what i mean
He heard about it--but never actually saw it.

It's like us hearing about King Tut's Mask, and when it was actually found, people said: "Wow. It's real!"

Or the M&Ms commercial with Santa and the two M&Ms.....
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

hmmm. yea, i guess im wrong. again. lol.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

aww anokosa, we still love you, no matter how wrong you are :shock:

but you did point out that most runes are concidered myth so go you

Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

aydas_arrow wrote:aww anokosa, we still love you, no matter how wrong you are :shock:

but you did point out that most runes are concidered myth so go you
Exactly.

In this day an age, we ourselves consider many things to be myth until we discover otherwise.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

aw. thanx. so, seeing as we've just been chattin 4 ages, back 2 topic. wot's the topic again? oh yea, 'gods'. Wait, there arnt any god's in suikoden, are there? Not unless you count darkness, sword and shield, the latter of which are now thought to have manifested as the Shining Shield Rune and Black Blade Rune.
Last edited by anokosa on Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

Moonbay wrote:
aydas_arrow wrote:but that shows that luc did know of the beast rune, just wasnt sure if it truly existed, if you understand what i mean

He heard about it--but never actually saw it.
no. he actually only heard a rumour really. even leknaat didnt seem to know. but she couldn't see it, cos windy blinded her.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Not that this has anything to do with the topic, but Windy didn't blind her, she was blinded when their village was attacked (when Windy and Leknaat will have still been close) so it was either an accident or done by Harmonians. Just an fyi.