The powers of the True Water Rune and other runes.

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Jowy Atreides

The powers of the True Water Rune and other runes.

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I'm not sure if the Suikoden III manga can be considered official information (I've heard it can't), but does anyone else think that the True Water Rune can do something similar to how Luc killed Jimba/Wyatt? That is, taking the water out of someone's body in order to kill them. I wonder what other sorts of powers people could use. Perhaps Sasarai could open up the earth and swallow someone, or maybe he could envelop them in earth and suffocate them? I always thought that the Soul Eater would be able to kill and revive people at will, but that doesn't seem likely. This one would probably be a gameplay aspect, but the Beast Rune would probably give some ultra berserk status similar to the Violence Rune if a person were to ever bear it. They could even do something humorous like teleport someone from world to world with the Gate Rune and mess around with their heads, although that wouldn't exactly be a new undiscovered power. I wonder what sort of power the RoP would have? Perhaps if someone were to commit a crime, the bearer could "judge" them and give appropriate sentences for their crimes. Forgiveness would come into play if the criminal were to repent, of course.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

This is something I've been pondering for quite some time. From what I've seen, it seems as though most people assume that the extent of a true runes power is the four spells that the bearers are granted throughout their individual games, but based on the additional scenes and information we have concerning the true runes power I think we've only seen a fraction of their true potential due to the fact that most of the bearers we've seen with the runes introduced thus far are new to their respective runes, that or they have used them in our presence. If a true rune has the ability to flood the planet, then I definitely think it would be able to manipulate the moisture content within 1 human beings body. I guess this all depends upon the level of mastery for the rune bearer.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I convinced myself that what Luc did to Jimba in the manga was simply the level 2 spell of the True Wind Rune (Funeral Wind?). But perhaps it's something different.

Maybe with a True Water Rune you can make water molecules vibrate a la microwave oven and cook your enemies.
Darkillumina

Post by Darkillumina »

Well, I have to agree that the 4 spells available during the game are a mere fraction of the power of a true rune. The RoP was not impressive gameplay wise yet in all the cutscenes it's power was devastating.

With regards to what was depicted in the manga I did think it looked somewhat like funeral wind but more like The Shredding. I believe that basically the rune's power is limited by the owners imagination. Perhaps with the right mindset the bearer could basically do whatever he wanted within the runes sphere of influence as long as he had the mastery and imagination required for such.

Edit: It would also be interesting as to what would have happened if Wyatt had the second half of his rune and went one on one with Luc. Most likely a standstill due to the 'all runes are equal' principle. But Wyatt's mastery could come into play........
Beware my power, because my might may not be on the side of right.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Wyatt wouldn't be able to take luc on, you forget that luc recieved excellent training from leknaat and so Wyatt's power would be much less than luc's

but getting back to the topic: I also believe that luc used the funeral wind spell to kill wyatt, he used it to kill the little boy in karaya clan in luc's pov{if you choose to do so} so after seeing luc use that spell twice, I theorize that the true runes allow there bearers to use offensive and defensive spells, its my guess that with the true water rune, the bearer can make hailstones of ice strike from the sky or make rain fall form the heavens that can heal any injury. Im thinking that the TRUE power of the 27 true runes, will be hidden unless the true runes decide to do otherwise
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

son_michael wrote:Wyatt wouldn't be able to take luc on, you forget that luc recieved excellent training from leknaat and so Wyatt's power would be much less than luc's
Training or not, they'd probably end up with a stalemate, that is of course if Wyatt had his full TR. Remember, Luc could not take Geddoe on one on one due to the power of their runes being equal. He needed the TER to beat back Geddoe.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I'm not so sure about that, while its true that geddoe held of luc, he did not have the power to stop him, even without the TER, luc would have won, Luc was easily able to escape geddoe and if I remember correctly, he even paralyzed geddoe while making his escape. Even with luc's increased power, he didn't have enough power to force the true Lighting rune out of geddoe, which is why he needed sasarai's rune

and lets not forget that luc took sasarai's rune all by himself without using another true rune besides his own and that means that it is indeed possible to remove a true rune with another true rune
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

son_michael wrote:I'm not so sure about that, while its true that geddoe held of luc, he did not have the power to stop him, even without the TER, luc would have won, Luc was easily able to escape geddoe and if I remember correctly, he even paralyzed geddoe while making his escape. Even with luc's increased power, he didn't have enough power to force the true Lighting rune out of geddoe, which is why he needed sasarai's rune

and lets not forget that luc took sasarai's rune all by himself without using another true rune besides his own and that means that it is indeed possible to remove a true rune with another true rune
Err, I'm uncertain as to what you mean in that first paragraph. Could you re-word it, if possible. It confuses me.

The reason Lu was able to rob Sasarai of his rune is because he was in a weaknened state. He was down on his hands and knees feeling quite ill. He did just find out that he was nothing more than a mere container for the True Earth rune and he was throwing up after he saw what Luc had in his possesion, so in this state Luc was easily able to rob him of his TER.
Darkillumina

Post by Darkillumina »

son_michael wrote:I'm not so sure about that, while its true that geddoe held of luc, he did not have the power to stop him, even without the TER, luc would have won, Luc was easily able to escape geddoe and if I remember correctly, he even paralyzed geddoe while making his escape.
Geddoe was paralyzed/injured as a result of the rune being forcefully purged from his body. It's pointless to argue what would happen in a one on one as all the True Runes are equal in power no if's and's or but's. I can understand magical prowess when it comes to regular runes but True Rune's I dont really think are influenced by magical ability all that much. If they desired such power why not find the most adept mages in the Suikoverse?

I can comfortably state that no true rune would lie dormant while under assault by another regardless of mastery. Need proof? Read Book 5 when Geddoe explains that the runes seek to imprint themselves onto the world and nature making the matter of mastery moot. No true rune would allow itself to be 'one-upped' so to speak by another while locked in combat. Of course this means I take back my "What if Wyatt" question in my last post.

The Rune was purged from Sasari due to his shock at what Luc revealed to him. He was in no position to defend himself from Luc and anyhow Sarah held him in place. (If the manga is actually canon) Until the next volume is released this does-albeit not much- impede on my Above statement regarding a one-up. (You can hardly consider the extraction combat though.) **Angelis beat me to the punch ; ;**

I am curious however whether the manga's are official or not.
Beware my power, because my might may not be on the side of right.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I think the paragraph is easy to understand..perhaps your just tired? maybe if you read the last few post in conjuction you will be able to understand..if not then I dont know how else I could word it..I welcome someone else to try and word it in a way angelis-taleria would understand it

I already knew how luc got sasarai's rune but regardless of that he still had to use his true rune to take sasarai's true rune
3RW!N

Post by 3RW!N »

In my opinion luc and geddoe have tha same power, luc don't be able to beat geddoe all by him self he need the help of sara and the TE for win, and has darkillumina said geddoe stay paralyzed because the TL was separate from him by the force.

And for luc and sassarai has all you said he took sassarai while he was in shock, thats the reason why he take the TE rune so easy
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

but i think the runes powers are not limited to the 4 spells
i mean True Water bearer can control water anyhow he/she likes and so do the other true runes bearer
kelvin loves suikoden
3RW!N

Post by 3RW!N »

kelvingarinkz wrote:but i think the runes powers are not limited to the 4 spells
i mean True Water bearer can control water anyhow he/she likes and so do the other true runes bearer
thats the same that i think, the true is that we never see until the moment the full power of the true runes.
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

True rune power is very limited for gameplay purposes. Even if some True Rune owner have a good level of mastery over a True Rune i can't imagine them unleashing it's full power on a monster. This would most likely destroy everything around you including your lovely party members =)
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"he did not have the power to stop him, even without the TER, luc would have won"

Umm, Luc stated that he and Geddeo are equals after Luc failed to obtain the TLR by himself. He needed Sarah's magic power with the True Earth Rune in Combination with his True Wind Rune to obtain Geddeo's True Lightning Rune. After that, Luc could have killed Geddeo or do whatever he wanted with him.
Strategy is the key to victory!