Suikoden IV = Chrono Cross?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

With Chrono Cross, 3/4 of the storyline could have been cut out and it would have made sense and been fine for me whereas Suikoden 4 needed to be much longer and more developed.

And yes, Chrono Cross DOES have one of the best soundtracks EVER. It's phenomenal.
Purr.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Good point Pollen, but then again... even with that extra 3/4 there wasn't enough development in CC for most of the characters... so... who is to say that an extra 3/4 of story for Suikoden IV would have been any better.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

One major difference:

Suikoden IV had excellent predecessors, and that's why the mediocre installment hit us pretty hard.

Chrono Cross was reasonably enjoyable, but Chrono Trigger was pretty much of the same quality to begin with. Both were nothing especially spectacular.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I think that's a little biased Patapi, out of all of the SNES RPGs I ever got to play (which is limited sense not many of the good ones got a stateside release since we weren't an RPG focused country at the time), Chrono Trigger was by far one of the better ones. With a good plot, good character design, and a unique storyline, the first ever (to my knowledge) New Game +, and the ability to time travel and have triggers event stuff in the past present future, etc. it was a very amazing game for it's time.

I think it really depends on WHEN you played Chrono Trigger that makes it so great, if you played it during the days of SNES or even the early PSX/N64/Saturn days, it was definitely an amazing game, if you played it anytime recently, it does pale to a lot of RPGs out there nowadays.
RPG Seeker

Post by RPG Seeker »

No, IMO, Suikoden IV is more like Skies of Arcadia Legends. SoaL has way less characters but the same sense of recruiting, ship battles and sailing.
DeathChaser

Post by DeathChaser »

please lock this crap !!! this is retarded on so many levels .
What ?Wo are you..
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

It's atleast got some form of productive discussion though.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

DeathChaser wrote:please lock this crap !!! this is retarded on so many levels .
Thanks for the input but you're not a mod and posting this kind of thing doesn't help further the discussion. If you have suggestions about moderation please PM one of the mods rather than posting. Thanks.
TrueBlood

Post by TrueBlood »

RPG Seeker wrote:No, IMO, Suikoden IV is more like Skies of Arcadia Legends. SoaL has way less characters but the same sense of recruiting, ship battles and sailing.
Stop comparing Skies of Arcadia to Suikoden 4! Skies is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, better than Suikoden 4 and is NOT a suikowantabe. Anyone who thinks this is foolish!

Futher more, Skies of Arcadia has been called the "God of all RPGs" by many! So, even IF both Skies and the Suiko titles share a "more characters than usual" thing, thats where the similarities end. Besides the extra characters in Skies are not playable and thier is only 22 of them.

However, as far as Chrono Cross goes, it is also much better than Suikoden 4.

Suikoden 4 is however, still a good game.
The Rune of Blood governs "weakness" and "strength".
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

TrueBlood, please don't make it sound as if your opinion is a fact. Don't make it sound as if people aren't allowed to have their own opinion either. You are very rude to call people who compare Skies of Arcadia with Suikoden IV as foolish. Consider this as a friendly warning.

Now let's get back to the friendly discussion.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Kirkis

Hmm...

Post by Kirkis »

Well... aside from ship battles, I do agree that I don't see any similarities between Skies & Suiko 4...

Anyhow... I think claiming any RPG is like another RPG is a bit silly, since most RPGs do pull ideas from each other, and major plot twists/devices are constantly being used over and over.

Take FF12's Gambit System, it sounds VERY similar to .Hack's battle system.
- Kirkis
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

patapi wrote:One major difference:

Suikoden IV had excellent predecessors, and that's why the mediocre installment hit us pretty hard.

Chrono Cross was reasonably enjoyable, but Chrono Trigger was pretty much of the same quality to begin with. Both were nothing especially spectacular.
I have to disagree with this point. Although I agree that Suikoden IV is preceeded by games that are much better, which makes it seem worse in comparision than it actually is.

Chrono Trigger has the same thing going for it. Chrono Trigger was such a good game that Chrono Cross seems awful. I really liked Chrono Trigger. In fact, it was my favourite game for a long time, like many years. I don't think that's necessarily true anymore, but considering how long ago it was that is still very impressive.

I'm replaying Suikoden IV and I have to say I don't hate it as much as I did the first time through, especially after playing tactics. Yes, it's not up to the Suikoden standards, however, it's not really that bad of a game. If it was unrelated to Suikoden (took out the Silverberg reference and the unnecessary 108 star characters) then I could see it being pretty good.

I might feel the same way about Chrono Cross if I replayed it again this many years later. But, I don't paticularily want to because there are no more sequels to that series.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Yeah... Chrono series really does need a sequel, but Square's too busy milking Final Fantasy. :(

I think the reason why Chrono Trigger gets such a bad rep from some people, is because they're playing it like... in this day and era, so all the really cool effects/plot devices, and other things that Chrono Trigger brought to the table has been reflected in other new age/next gen games, so it's luster is lost on some folks. I know a lot of people who only played Chrono Cross, and never Chrono Trigger too, and that makes me cry on the inside.
- Kirkis
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

suikoden and chrono cross are just very much alike in many many many ways.

( suikoden and chrono cross are my 2 most favorite games ! how funny)
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

hotspot wrote:suikoden and chrono cross are just very much alike in many many many ways
Could you elaborate a bit more? I personally don't see any (significant) similarities between the two games. But I'm interested in seeing what you have in mind.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.