Suikoden IV = Chrono Cross?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

Okay then....
they both have over 40 recruitable characters, they both have silent protaganists,they both have creature characters, they have a similar magic system, you get to ride a boat in both (except for suikoden 3),both games have characters with similar or same types of weapons, they both have good color, both timelines are in between 100 ad to 1600 ad.

and thats all that i can think of right now.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

hotspot wrote:Okay then....
they both have over 40 recruitable characters, they both have silent protaganists,they both have creature characters, they have a similar magic system, you get to ride a boat in both (except for suikoden 3),both games have characters with similar or same types of weapons, they both have good color, both timelines are in between 100 ad to 1600 ad.

and thats all that i can think of right now.
Fair enough, but the thing that I disagree with is basically that what you listed above are not what Suikoden is.

1. Over 40 recruitable characters.
Okay, Suikoden have 108, Chrono Cross have 40ish. It's still significant difference because Suikoden is over 50 characters while Chrono Cross isn't. And more importantly, Suikoden's main concept is the togetherness of the characters, meaning that 108 characters unite under 1 leader in a headquarter. While Chrono Cross has no such thing. You just recruit recruit recruit.

2. Silent protagonist.
Surely this is not only Suikoden (and Suikoden III didn't even have silent protagonist).

3. Creature characters.
Same as above, not only Suikoden.

4. Similar magic system.
How are they similar? It's very different. Suikoden uses MP system for their rune usage, Chrono Cross uses Element system which is pretty much "you can use as many as you want per battle".

5. Get to ride boat.
Like #2 and #3, not only Suikoden.

6. Similar weapons.
Come on, man. Not only Suikoden either.

7. Good color.
Like #2, #3, #5, and #6.

8. Timeline.
How can you say that? Surely they don't have computers in 1600 AD. Chrono Cross had that computer thingy once you entered the sea, and Suikoden even had laptops if you used Meg in Suikoden II. Their timeline can't be converted to our real life timeline because they're fantasy.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Yeah, most of the things you listed are in practically every other RPG. The only huge similarity is... you have a boat, and there are a lot of characters to recruit. That's about it honestly.

I don't like to shoot down theories/ideas, but this thing is just too farfetched to hold any real water. Like I've probably said before, this claim holds about as much water as 'Zelda is the same as Mario, because you're saving a princess from an evil guy.'
- Kirkis
soonket

Post by soonket »

but the feels of the two games are very alike i agree with it too, but just the feel... especially the protoganists...

Hell yea !! the Chrono cross's soundtrack is soo BEAUTIFUL... Null_user, totally agree with u in dis one..
Yuber: I look better in black armor and you know it! Why do you make me look like Michael Jackson instead ?!