In-depth analysis on True Runes..one-stop True Rune Shop

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

The rune of punishment/atonement and forgiveness, seems different than the previous mention true runes, from it's termanology it takes up a host of the cloest person. I am assuming that the personality of the host doesn't matter to this rune because it acts more like a parasite by absorbing the life of the host or feeding off of it anyways, unless it is some test, and that's where the personality is born. When Lazlo mastered the rune and it no-longer damaged him as well. Perhaps the same could be said about the eightfold/hachifusa rune, with a test.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Recall that Lazlo was supposed to gain the Rune of Punishment after the battle with Brandeau. Recall that Brandeau released it's power and Lazlo was shielded from it, but was knocked unconscious. At that time, I would suggest that the Rune of Punishment chose Lazlo, but couldn't bind itself to an unconscious host. Therefore it moved onto the Captain and forced him through memories to quickly waste away and when it had an opportunity, chance allowed it to be bonded to Lazlo.

Recall that Ted chose Tir to bear the Soul Eater because he was the closest person he could trust, but the Soul Eater also didn't reject him. True Runes have a mysterious way of making their way to their appropriate bearer.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

about the soul eater i think the rune prefers to go with tir who is a good host, than go with ted that maybe is the perfect host and be intercepted by windy, that i sopose will be the last bearer that the rune wants
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

The Prophet wrote:Recall that Lazlo was supposed to gain the Rune of Punishment after the battle with Brandeau. Recall that Brandeau released it's power and Lazlo was shielded from it, but was knocked unconscious. At that time, I would suggest that the Rune of Punishment chose Lazlo, but couldn't bind itself to an unconscious host. Therefore it moved onto the Captain and forced him through memories to quickly waste away and when it had an opportunity, chance allowed it to be bonded to Lazlo.

Recall that Ted chose Tir to bear the Soul Eater because he was the closest person he could trust, but the Soul Eater also didn't reject him. True Runes have a mysterious way of making their way to their appropriate bearer.
Perhaps, but when I look at the information that's stated in this site, it appears that the rune of punishment has had more known bearers than any rune at the moment that has been discovered. Also, maybe an inheritance is a factor? Cray and his son both bear the rune of punishment, so did the Queen of Obel, which Lazlo would be related to, just a thought. But inheritance might play a slight role in any of the true rune chooses, not saying that it only picks the offsprings of past bearers, but that they have a better chance of succeeding in getting the true runes immensive powers.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
titan70

Re: In-depth analysis on True Runes..one-stop True Rune Shop

Post by titan70 »

I just signed in to this place. I like what the person origianlly wrote. But a lot of it (It not most) seems to be just theory. I doubt the creators put that much thought into it. Example: the element runes. Chances are they didn't use them to represent Fertility and enlightenment and all that. They chose them because they are fire, water, lightning, Earth, and wind. Like every other game that uses magic. No real in depth thought put into it. Which is what I bet about all the runes. I can pretty much guarantee they didn't put as much thought into all this as the origianl poster of this thread did. Sometimes a rune is just a rune.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

If you are talking about normal runes yes, but not when we talk about True Runes.

If you look at Sierra, she mastered the Blue Moon for so many years, that she could block the rune when Neclord wanted to use it. So she have a power over the rune, because the rune really prefers to be with Sierra than with Neclord.

The runes go where they want, the Night rune, for example, he want to go with Viktor, so he goes, if he dont wanted to go with him the rune probably would disappeared like the Sovereign or the Beast rune.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I tend to agree with titan70. The creators of the series probably haven't thought about True Runes as much as the fans have. This is mainly due to the fact that Suikoden I was originally advertized as having 36 true runes, but later this number was reduced to 27. The other reason being Tanaka "King" who was the chief designer for Suikoden V saying they thought of the Sun rune from scratch for Suikoden V, which either means even Konami doesn't know the full roster of True Runes, or the new team has decided to abandon Murayama's original True Rune concept.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Maybe they made Suikoden more like Tierkreis, and for me Suikoden will be like the firsts Suikoden ( I, II, III )
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Although I think the idea of the True Runes was a concept developed to bring an added element to the story, I believe that things that start off as just a minor idea can develop a life of their own. The fact that the True Runes not only appear, but are the very backbone of the Suikoden Universe, leads me to believe that they are much more than just mere articles of magic. If that was the plan, then the creators could have simply stopped at the True Elemental Runes. I believe that they intended for the True Runes to be a character within themselves, to be vital to the very infrastructure and foundation of the series itself. Of course, they make for very flashy and showy devastation, but lets remember that Harmonia seeks them for a reason and all life are derived from them.