Other True Runes

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Atonement and Punishment are not the same thing. That just seems really weird that the Rune of Punishment is about Atonement and not Punishment.

And no, I am not arguing with you, I'm just making a statement.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

essentially punishment and atonement are preety much the same and the forgiveness part is the dual nature of the rune
JanusThePaladin

Atonement is what you do when seeking to redeem yourself.

Punishment is what happens to you when you do something, similar to consequence, only in a darker conotation.

Although at some points the 2 overlap, they are by no means the same thing.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yes you are right

Im sure theres A reason though
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Atonement can be seen as punishment; this is why I said it depends on how you look at it.

Let's say there's three people: A, B, and C (pretty original, I know). B and C are brothers. A kills B. C makes A his slave as atonement for his sin of killing B. In this sense, A's atonement is also his punishment.

Of course, there's plenty of ways that the two terms differ, and that's why I said it depends on how you look at it.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Actually, I would suggest you look at it that Punishment involves both Atonement and Forgiveness. The first stage of any punishment is realizing that you have committed a crime through trial or due process of elimation or the law. Once you've been charged of a crime and found to be guilty, you must atone for that crime through some sort of ordeal. This is the first stage of punishment..atoning for the wrong you have done. Once you have begun your atonement for a said crime, after a certain point you must be forgiven if you have truly atoned for that crime.

This is the final phase of punishment, forgiving yourself for the crime and being forgiven by others. That is the final stage of punishment and the hardest to get to. Forgiveness cannot be attained easily and that's why the guilty take so long in atonement, but forgiveness is also a form of punishment for the guilty as they must find the way to forgive themselves and depend on the forgiveness of others. It's a very human characteristic which the Rune of Punishment expresses quite eloquently.
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

Why would it be called the Rune of Punishment then if its called the rune of Atonement and Forgiveness?
"Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing better for business than a good war." -Shu

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine" -Morgan
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Lots of True Runes represent aspects of life, usually opposites.

The Cirlce Rune: Order and Stagnation.
The Soul Eater: Life and Death.
The Rune of Punishment: Atonement and Forgiveness.
The Blue Moon Rune: Destruction and Compassion.
The Beast Rune: Animalistic Rage and Passion.

Some of the Runes' names emcompass both aspects (Circle, Punishment, Beast), and some don't (Soul Eater, Moon). Note: I'm not saying the name
"Soul Eater" doesn't make sense, just that the name doesm't represent Life and Death combined.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

'Soul Eater' is just the nickname for the Rune of Life and Death which is truly the Rune of Judgement. So, it stands to reason that it would represent Life and Death. They only called it 'Soul Eater' because that's what the Rune of Judgement does when it displays its death phase.
TheBoundlessDream

And dont forget the Bright Shield rune and the Black Sword rune.
"Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing better for business than a good war." -Shu

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine" -Morgan
JanusThePaladin

They should have called it the Rune Of Saint Micheal or something, since it's description is that it Judges souls.....
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I dont think so...

then it would be A catholic rune....
TheBoundlessDream

A Catholic rune? what the.. is that even possible?

son_michael

Post by son_michael »

lol no I dont think it is

which is why I dont think it would ever be called the "saint michael" rune

saints are loosely connected with catholic beliefs
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Siegfriend uses the White Saint Rune, so using the term "saint" in a rune's name isn't very far-fetched.

...Nor is it worthy of discussion.