Other True Runes

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
JanusThePaladin

Other True Runes

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I just wanted to know theories for the names of other true runes. Currently there are only 16 known true runes.

Beast
Beginning
Blue Moon
Change
Circle
Dragon
Eightfold
Gate
SoulEater
Night
Soveriegn
Earth
Fire
Lightning
Water
Wind

My personal theory is that all runes need to have opposite runes, Ie: Fire-Water, Change-Circle. So, going off the known names, one could reasonably assume other rune's existences. I find it likely that there is a Yellow Sun rune, and a Day Rune. Maybe a Sevenfold to offset the Eightfold?
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Never thought of that. Sort of sounds like the Taoist belief of balance in the universe. There are some runes which I dont believe would have opposites, the Dragon Rune and Gate Rune being a few. As for the Night rune, it's possible there is an opposite to that one.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Fire and Water are not direct opposite of each other. Instead all the five elemental runes establish their own little circle of balance, as demonstrated in Suikoden III.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Also, to add it seems that all True Runes have an internal balancing factor to them so it's not necessary to have an exact opposite to an extent.
kenobi

Post by kenobi »

patapi wrote:Fire and Water are not direct opposite of each other. Instead all the five elemental runes establish their own little circle of balance, as demonstrated in Suikoden III.
out of the 5 true elemental runes..it seem to me that fire is the strongest of all..the will to control the true fire is much harder than the others..that's what happen in the first fire bringer war right?the fire rune went out of control..but unlike geddoe and wyatt..their rune didn;t..same goes to wind and earth..didn't see it cause any trouble..
LGM

Post by LGM »

You could say that Fire and Lightning are both solely agressive runes, they don't have much to offer except attacking power. Water, Wind and Earth are a bit more balanced offering healing, curing and defense.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

but unlike geddoe and wyatt..their rune didn;t..
Remember that little part in the Sindar ruins? Where the Water Rune goes out of control and turns the whole area to ice/crystal/whatever? Where you have to subdue it by letting Chris inherit it or it will blow the place up?
Reideen

Post by Reideen »

Well....we would have a problem if there should be a opposite Rune for every...since there are 27 *lol*

And we know 17 True runes ....we have to add the most recent one
'Punishment'
If you find mistakes keep them for yourself.
[GER]
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

I have only played through SuikoIV once and hardly remembers its story. Well, usually in Suikoden fashion, each installment reveals a few new True Runes to us. But it seems that IV only reveals a new one, Punishment.

I wasn't attentive to the story, but did they mention or give any hints of other new True Runes?
Gorudo

Post by Gorudo »

Reideen wrote:Well....we would have a problem if there should be a opposite Rune for every...since there are 27 *lol*
There are the 5 elemental runes which balance out.

27-5=22

22/2=11

So, if the runes did balance out, there would be 11 balancing pairs.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

I thought there were thirteen that are 'chaos' runes and thirteen that are 'dharmic' runes. Only the Rune of Beginning is special as it has to be held by two bearers (Black Sword [Chaos] and Bright Shield [Dharma]) and must be united as one.

Henceforth,
27-1 (Rune of Beginning) = 26
26/2= 13

And they balance each other out. As far as I know, we've been shown most of the chaos runes.
I don't know about the elemental runes being chaotic or dharmic in nature though so it might blow my theory to bits.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Could be lightning and Fire are chaotic, while the other 3 are dharmic. (What exactly does dharmic mean anyway?)
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Dharmic is a synoym for "order". It's a Hindu/Buddhist word that related to balance or order in the universe. Basically, the opposite of Chaos.
Could be lightning and Fire are chaotic, while the other 3 are dharmic.
You may have it backwards... Lighting and Fire in Suikoden III were on the "good guys side" while Luc, the "bad guy" had the Water rune.
Id

Post by Id »

Luc had the wind rune. And I think its just on a base level that fire and lightning are chaotic, well Wind, Water and Earth are Dharmic.
The flame champion used his True Fire rune to wage war, and was helped by Geddoe i think, who had true lightning,
however, Luc wanted to destroy his Dharmic Wind Rune to create chaos...
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Yeah Wind rune, thats what I meant...

Anyway I guess have it all backwards, not the other guy. my bad.