Bright Shield and Black Sword

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Kranach

Bright Shield and Black Sword

Post by Kranach »

THE BIRTH OF THE 27 TRUE RUNES

In the beginning there existed only long, long Darkness.

Over time, Darkness grew lonely. The loneliness became a heavy sorrow. Darkness eventually cried one tear.

From the tear were born two brothers: Sword and Shield.

Sword said it could cut all that exists. Shield replied that nothing could even scratch it.

They fell into war. Their war lasted for 7 days and 7 nights.

In the end, Sword breached Shield, and Shield broke Sword.

Pieces of Sword rained down to make the sky. Pieces of Shield rained down to make the earth. Their battle flashes became the stars.

The 27 gems adorning Sword and Shield transformed into the 27 True Runes. And thus the world began its life.

But I have red that there were actually 28 gems adorning Sword and Shield but two combined and became one. My theory is it was the Bright Shield and the Black Sword rune. Those were the two gems that combined and created the True Rune of Beginning. And so you can Say that the Bright Shield and the Black Sword is one of the 28 True runes? And if the Bright Shield and the Black Sword will combine it will form the Beginnig Rune which is one of the 27 True Runes. So it explains why although a part of a true rune it still grants immortality to it's bearer. They are still true runes in some aspects. Bright Shield was the one signifying Shield and the Black Sword is the one signifying Sword.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

No such thing. Only 27 jewels adorned the original Sword and Shield and they are the ones that became the True Runes: no more, no less. The Rune of Beginning is only 1 of these 27, like the rest of them.

Neither Black Sword nor Bright Shield grant agelessness to their bearers when bore separately.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

Yes they do it just so happen that Genkaku and Hans found a way to remove the two runes from their body that's why they aged.
Id

Post by Id »

well yes, but everyone here says that the sword ans shield aren't true runes anyway, only whent they combine.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Kranach, it's official information from Konami that Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes aren't True Runes. Hence, they would not grant immortality/agelessness. Please do not try to argue this point.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
kenobi

Post by kenobi »

bright shield and black sword aren't true runes??that's weird..but if they are combine..that would make them a true rune right?

it's kinda weird why konami states that it isn't a true rune(doesn't make sense to me :? )..i mean leknaat gate rune is half..yet it is also a true rune..and grants immortality..
Menelquar

this is a neverending question

Post by Menelquar »

The Bright Shield and Black Sword runes are ingredients of The Rune of Beginning not halves like the Gate Rune. The Gate Rune has been literally split into two parts both of which have the powers of a True Rune (agelessness). Think of the "BS" runes as Ground Coffee Beans (Black Sword) and Water (Bright Shield) together they make coffee (The Rune of Beginning). Now if you take a cup of coffee and split it you still have coffee. (This analogy thanks to Blue Moon.)

-Menelquar
"Failure is the key to success; Each mistake teaches us something." -Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido
kenobi

Post by kenobi »

hmm..but if you played suiko3..geddoe chap 2..at the end of the chap..ace will ask joker about the true runes..joker will then explain to ace and the gang about the true runes..at one point he quotes that the leader of the dunan unification war bore the true rune.and then aila said something like, 'so they cheated?no wonder chief lucia was beaten!'

i very well remember that in suiko2 lucia was beaten by riou only when he has 'half' of the rune of beginning..
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yeah, and Joker would obviously be the authority on the subject since he was right there next to Riou... oh no, wait...

The Old Book in Suikoden III also states that the war started because the State Army killed the Youth Brigade when in actuality it was the White Wolf Unit of Highland. Obviously Suikoden III isn't the best source for info on Suikoden II.
Id

Post by Id »

But Luca made it look like the state army had done it, so whoever wrote the old book was obviously using that.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Do you have a point? Riou told the truth, it's just one fact that got distorted in the 15 years time, just as Riou's rune being more than it was.
Id

Post by Id »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: The Old Book in Suikoden III also states that the war started because the State Army killed the Youth Brigade when in actuality it was the White Wolf Unit of Highland. Obviously Suikoden III isn't the best source for info on Suikoden II.
You just reiterated my point. The facts got distorted over 15 years, contributed to by the fact that it was made to look like the state army massacred the youth brigade at the beginning of suikoden 2, and that gave Luca a premise for invading the state, even though it was actually his army that did it.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

kenobi wrote:hmm..but if you played suiko3..geddoe chap 2..at the end of the chap..ace will ask joker about the true runes..joker will then explain to ace and the gang about the true runes..at one point he quotes that the leader of the dunan unification war bore the true rune.and then aila said something like, 'so they cheated?no wonder chief lucia was beaten!'

i very well remember that in suiko2 lucia was beaten by riou only when he has 'half' of the rune of beginning..
And the transators for the Suikoden series are terrible. In Suikoden Two they had both Jowy and Leknaat call the Black Sword Rune a "True Rune," which is obviously not true.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Id

Post by Id »

All I'm saying is it might have been written that way on purpouse so it would seem that historians were still fooled by what happened.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I agree with Id on that case. I think it was never corrected in the beginning anyways. Riou or Shu or Jowy or whoever never bothered to "correct" the reason of what started the Dunan Unification War. Maybe they thought that it was simply best to keep it simple to the people even though it wasn't right. Same thing with Kalekka incident, I doubt that it was ever revealed to the people that it was only a strategic slaughtering.

Plus, it's practically sad if the translator messed up from Highland to Jowston.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.