Another Stupid Yuber/Pesmerga Theory

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Wynter_Z

Post by Wynter_Z »

And another set from SARS:

" Ok after doing some research, I've decided to change my theory around. The Noble Eightfold Path, discovered by the Buddha Himself, is the only way to Nirvana. It avoids the extreme of self-torture that weakens ones intellect and the extreme of self-indulgence that retards ones spiritual progress.
The definition for nirvana is: only nirvana is lasting liberation, which is true happiness and genuine peace - peace without being moved by the waves of disturbing emotions. It also means the liberation from the cycle of existence. meaning the completely purified state of the mind or literally, having escaped from deep misery. Maybe Yuber finds his happiness from chaos? Now if Yuber and Pesmerga are the opposites, then Pesmerga should be Samsara, the cycle of existence, meaning the completely defiled state of the mind. Here are the differences between Nirvana and Samsara.

Samsara, according to Gampopa has the following three characteristics:

Its nature is emptiness
Its appearance is illusion
Its characteristic is suffering.

Nirvana as well has three characteristics:

Its nature is emptiness
Its appearance is freedom from illusion
Its characteristic is liberation from all suffering.

Now Pesmerga seems to suffer. He is constantly in search of Yuber, never ceasing to rest. However Pesmerga said that Yuber is a shadow, stating that Yuber should be the illusion. But from what the description of Nirvana tells us, then Yuber should be the real deal and Pesmerga is actually the illusion, or shadow. Is it possible Pesmerga doesn't know who he really is and he thinks he's the original? There are some evidence that Pesmerga is a shadow. From what Richmond tells us, Pesmerga walks very quiet even with all that heavy armor and he never eat's or sleep. There are some evidence that Yuber is the real thing. In S3, we can hear his footsteps. He always talks alot more than Pesmerga and he feels pain, as shown when you defeat him in the final battle and he is on his knees and breathing heavily. We also know he shows emotion, like when you defeat him in the Ancient Hallway. He literally screams at you."

#2:

"1. Yuber is the physical embodiment of Chaos.

2. Yuber is holding the rune that represents Order.

3. Pesmerga is the semi-physical embodiment of Order, and he is searching for his other half (the Eightfold rune).

4. Once Pesmerga regains the Eightfold rune, he will be whole again, and the battle between Order and Chaos will begin."

" 1. Pesmerga is the physical embodiment of Order, but he is holding the Chaos rune--this would explain why he is constantly at odds with himself.

2. Yuber is the physical embodiment of Chaos, but he is holding the Order rune--again, that would explain his personality.

3. Pesmerga is seeking Yuber because he wishes to regain the Order rune, while simultaneously getting rid of the Chaos rune, so that his mind and body can be at peace.

4. Yuber mentioned several times (in Suikoden 3) that he was "seeking Chaos"; he could have LITERALLY meant that he is seeking the Chaos rune, for the same reason that Pesmerga is seeking the Order rune.

Due to the immense inbalance of power and the attempts by both the Order rune and the Chaos rune to return to their rightful owners, something huge would most likely occur as Pesmerga and Yuber clashed.

Well, that's just some food for thought..."

"Two theories that work together. I've been voicing the first on GameFAQs for a while, and the second is brand new. (To me at least. Not sure if anyone else has had it before.)

It's been said that long term wearing of a TR will wear away the personality of the bearer. It's also known that the TRs have a degree of sentience of their own.

Yuber is known to possess a TR (Eight-Fold), and although he's not in the TR lists, I would call it a safe guess that Pesmerga has one as well. I've seen Seven-Fold speculated as his rune.

So what if these two are long, long term bearers of their TRs. So long that there is nothing left of their initial personality. And with no personality left, the TRs have stepped in to animate the shell.

I've mentioned this theory before (On GameFAQS), but the theory hit a snag when the comment from Konami about the two having the same face came to light. How do I have two long-term bearers happen to have the same face?

This morning a possible answer came to me. Who else do we know on Suikoden-world with identical faces? Luc, Sasarai, Hikusaak (presumably), and any other Harmonian Bishops cloned from Hikusaak.

So we have a technique to create clones to hold TRs, and two people with the same face, holding TRs. I'm not saying Hikusaak created Yuber and Pesmerga. I think they are far older than Hikusaak. But nothing says Hikusaak was the first to discover the technique.

They could both be clones, or one could be a clone of the other. And while this fits well with my "Yuber/Pes are shells controlled by TRs" theory, it's really an independent theory. Yuber & Pes could still be clones without the Shell thing."
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

No triple posting. There is an edit button for your convenience, so use it.
Wynter_Z

Post by Wynter_Z »

Sorry. My bad.
iSera

Post by iSera »

Whoa I haven't been on in a while...
and I seldom post on Yuber treads... oh well here

Actually all Yuber appear to me is an immortal dude who figured that causing chaos was the funniest way to enjoy life.

To me similarities between Yuber and Pesmerga are next to none, especially if you take suikoden 3's Yuber next to suikoden 1-2's Pesmerga. I don't understand where the idea of "sharing the same face" comes from. They're different people. Different but not different enough to be opposites. Whatever the reason Pesmerga is chasing him, Yuber doesn't seem to care at all. Their only relation to me, and the reason Konami made them both wearing dark armors, is that they are both "dark" in origin. Yuber enjoys chaos, that doesn't make him the embodiment of it. It's not because names comes from a mythology, religion, or legend that it will unfold the same way in suikoden. Roland from S3 had nothing to do with the character Roland, except for his use of bows.

True rune bearers and their runes however, tend to control reality and probably got in his way often enough that they'd become "ennemies". He hates them, yet not enough to constantly chase them and rather simply enjoy life and killing. He doesn't seem to care about consequences so I don't think he has a "big plan" in mind. It just happen that if on his way he has the opportunity to get one of them, he'll try his luck. With the kind of power he has he often could've done a lot more damage and killed people a lot faster. I'd say he haven't done so cause it'd make things too boring. After all, in Chris' third chapter, he lose to her. Later in Hugo's third chapter, he wants to know where Chris is cause she was more interesting, yet she had no true rune. At that moment he didn't care about Luc's goal anymore (and didn't really ever cared), he saw an opportunity to do something he enjoys to do and then did so.

He apparently doesn't like to think either, but is not stupid to the point he's out of control. No matter what his "ambition" is or what his past and orrigins are, he acts way too "human" to be the embodiment of something. (I know he's not human, but not everyone in suikoden is human yet I'd use that word to describe their personality).
Baka_no_fool

Post by Baka_no_fool »

Just wanna ask a question that has been lingering in my head...

Is it true that yuber is a demon? well, he love chaos and all and on top of that Geddoe called him Demon and wanted to slay him sayin` that he does not belong to the human world. `sides, he doesnt age does he? another question is that, is it true the one Aila heard laughing during the burning of Karaya village is Yuber? And why does Pesmerga, on who search for death,tryin to find Yuber? Is it revenge or he want Yuber to take his life?

Sorry for my ignorant if any of doesnt seems right....
"Hee hee hee... I'm Flik! Teeheehee!"
"Hee hee hee... This is fun."
"Hee hee hee... Merciless, cruel, brutal, atrocious, cold-hearted, ruthless attack. Teeheehee..."
-Landis-
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

It is heavily implied by characters in Suikoden that Yuber is demon...but this could be villinising him from thier point of view, much like when a person would call another "a monster" for doing a horrible act.

I don't know if it has ever been officially stated that he is a demon, but I think it's fairly obvious that he isn't exactly human. Although that isn't the same as saying he didn't start life off as a human.

Nobody knows why Pesmerga is chasing Yuber, he's much more of an enigma that Yuber is. Although Pesmerga's name means "He who chases death" in Kurdish (Someone want to correct me if I'm wrong?) doesn't mean Yuber is death. More than likely, with reference to his name alone, he is chasing Yuber due to the death he causes. But that's only if his name has any relevance to the plot, which we are yet to see.

So really, we know very little about these two.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Firstly, I think a lot of you are taking the word "Summon" literally as in the FF type of summon. Don't forget that to summon a person also means to just call someone to come. We know that Yuber can teleport, but I see no evidence that he is from another dimension. So I'd think that all those who "summoned" him such as Leon, just called him for help and Yuber answered the call.

Second thing that comes to mind is that most of you seem to agree that he is not a big thinker and usually follows orders. Well, apperances are not always what they seem.
I like the Ourobouros theory. As for me, I always thought that Pesmerga chasing Yuber somehow referred to Norse mythology. You know, the wolf Fenrir chasing the sun, again and again? And one day, he catches up with the sun and devours it. That day is the Ragnarok, the dawn of the gods, and metaphorically the end of the world.
Pesmerga embodies order. Yuber embodies chaos. Good and evil don't enter the picture. This has, I think, been stated by Konami as has the fact that the Suikoden world ends when these two meet in battle and duel.
I actually did a bit of research and thought about this for a while now and it seems that the final Suikoden could be the one where Yuber and Pesmerga face off (probably in Crystal Valley), and this could be the end of the world.

We know for a fact that Yuber has a True Rune, and his immortality, power to summon monsters as well as teleport and possibly his inhuman strength spring from this rune. As for Pesmerga, he wears gloves at all times (sound familiar *hint* think Ted.......Souleater for the slow ones), he could have a true rune too and probably does seeming as he too has a few tricks up his sleve. I believe they BOTH hold back BIG time and are far more powerful than anyone realises.

Asides from those facts we also know that both of them are void of any real personality, they both don't speak a word unless they see its necessary to do so (probably to make others unaware of their TRUE goals), and they both seem to have a single task in their lives. Yuber wants to cause Chaos whilst Pesmerga wants to confront Yuber. Deep down though, I think there is a much more intense meaning to their existance. We know Yuber dislikes true runes and would seek to destroy them if possible, maybe thats just it. He exists to destroy the true runes, all but the one he posseses. On a side note that would make him the most powerful person in the world. Now a lot of you may ask, well why didn't he kill Wendy, Neclord, Ted, Barbadossa, Joshua, McDohl, Jowy, Luc and all the others carying the true runes.......well, either he wasn't strong enough at that point and time, or he just waits for the true opportunity to present itself. Maybe there is one other rune out there aside from his own (and possibly Pesmergas) that has a chance of foiling his plan (maybe thats why Pesmerga chases him, for he found that sacred rune).
I seriously doubt he was forced to do anything. No one who summons him has power over him. They tell him "I'm causing chaos, help me". Due to that, he becomes their ally.
He doesn't seem like a thinker, but he hardly says anything, and most of his actions are arguable, there is nothing anyone said so far, or anything official released by Konami that shows that Yuber is not far supperior in strength, tactics and genius than anyone else in the Suiko world. Guess the same applies to Pesmerga.

And I doubt he becomes their ally, I think Yuber USES them to further his goal. If I recall correctlly, Luc was supposadlly using him in S3, yet by the end Luc was the one who died and Yuber still lives on. The same can be said for Wendy and Neclord. He slowly seems to be doing what sounds to be the only valid thing for him to do. He is eliminating the True Runes. Either by the way of killing of their former masters who know much about the runes, or those he sees as a threat. Ted would know far more about the Souleater than McDohl, so offing him would probably make the final goal easier. This however creates a problem with Neclord and Sierra. Only thing I can say here is that Neclord possibly knew some secrets that could have interfered with Yuber's plans, or maybe he had a personal vendetta against Neclord.

That would explain Yuber's quest thus far, but the ULTIMATE reason for the quest to destroy all the true runes would still have to be left for Konami to tell us, but that still leaves one small detail out..........why the hell is Pesmerga chasing him?!?!

I highly doubt that he just wants order and is a goody goody hero type of guy who just wants to save the world. He is your typical anti-hero. He seemingly wants to prevent Yuber's quest which would harm thousands and possibly millions, BUT he would do it for his own reasons.

Now the most common theories I've seen so far are, siblings (possibly twins), clones, summoned monsters, friends from the same race (village or town even), trained in the same academy, Yuber stole from Pesmerga and finally Pesmerga being a fan of Yuber and tryin to surpass him to achieve ultimate honour. Some seem farfetched whilst others seem somewhat reasonable yet very cliche (which we all know RPG makers just LOVE to use).

It's a fact Pesmerga knows of Yuber, but it's still uncertian if Yuber knows that Pesmerga even exists (I think he does though,........maybe he left him for dead heh *sarcasm on the second part*), or even if he knows that Pesmerga is after him. Realistically we can just speculate Pesmerga's true reason for the life he leads, but in the end guess, we'll just have to wait for Konami to tell us.........................unless I missed something that some of you know.

Edit: Something just came to my mind, check my post on the "Character Theories > Luc's Prediction and Future Games" that further justifies this theory plus adds a really interesting twist.
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

I somehow believe now that Pes and Yuber belong to the same Clan somewhere on the Suikoden World..hidden (perhaps Cyndar..who knows). And Yuber just ran-off and now Pesmerga has orders to track him down because its not in its Clans nature to be unloyal (such as a run-away ninja gets tracked down by its ninja-clan if it quits)
bla
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Well you could add to that Yuber stealing something of value perhaps?
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
BeastRune

Post by BeastRune »

I think Wynter Z nailed the existence of Pesmerga as being a that of a shadow. Pesmerga has black hair indicating perhaps that he is a darker version of Yuber for one, and he also seems to appear near the Night Rune (you find him in Neclord's Castle and the Cave of the Wind) both places were the Night Rune was used recently in the form of the Star Dragon Sword. Think about it: you get the sword to reveal a part of Yuber's past in Suikoden I and then all the sudden Pesmerga shows up. Hmmm....and then again at Neclord's castle in part II even though Neclord has no further association with the "Y" man? He's obviously a wraith who "chases after death." However, I don't believe that Yuber is carrying a rune of order at all. I think Hikusaaks Circle Rune is order based and Yuber's represents chaos. You can assume that the implication of Nirvana is similar to calling a certain silver haired villian "Sephiroth." Yuber is a gateway to Nirvana, sure. He destroys our illusionary world! However, Pesmerga will one day find Yuber and they will destroy each other, ending the world by destroying destruction itself. (sort of like matter reacting with antimatter) I hope we get to see Yuber as a playable party member in a future game going up against Harmonia itself. The "Pax Harmonium" seems like a good target for Yuber's brand of chaos.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

I think that all the references to Buddhism are pretty safe to bet on. Remember, this is an East Asian story. While Buddhism is not the only religion in that region, it is one of the more prominent.

Thus, I think that the explanation of the Eightfold path is an adequate parallel to Yuber's Eightfold rune. That isn't just an accident that they called the rune that.

You can also look at the Ying and the Yang and see a whole bunch of parallels throughout the Suikoden world. Runes are almost always opposing themselves in order to be a complete whole. Examples: the rune of life and death, the rune of the beginning (sword fighting shield), rune of the gate (front-summoning and back-sending), blue moon rune (rune of compassion and destruction), rune of punishment (atonement and forgiveness), rune of the night (allows night creatures to exist and yet also destroys them), dragon rune (same as night), the five elementals are a nice little pentagon of opposing powers trying to maintain ballance with each other.

Some runes do not fit this model, but still have other existing runes that oppose them, like the circle and change runes, and (possibly; not confirmed) the eightfold and sevenfold runes.

Still some have yet to find their opposite: beast and sovereign.
Give me a story with cursed and tragic heroes, and I'll follow to my death.
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

I like the theories you guys bring up. Very interesting.

Well... I think they are each incarnations of a True Rune. Like Pesmerga is the incarnation of the Rune that governs Order, while Yuber is the incarnation of the Rune that governs Chaos.

There are theories that think THEY are the incarnations of Order and Chaos, but not that they are the incarnations of the TRUE RUNES of Order and Chaos. Big difference. >: D

The Chaos Rune (which would be the rune that governs disorder, and Order Rune (which would be the rune that governs order) seem highly possible, and the characters themselves could very well be them, similiar in the way the Zodiac Sword/SDS is the physical version of the Night Rune...
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Wynter_Z wrote: Yuber admits he isn't human. Therefor it is highly likely that Pesmerga isn't either. There has been considerable guessing that both may be physical manifistations of runes.
Investigation of Pesmerga in Suik 2 reveals that he neither eats nor sleeps, and makes no noise while moving in his armor. That makes it not "highly likely" that he is not human but rather certainly.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

So, here's my take on it. I've done a lot of reading on Yuber, because I think he's awesome.

Yuber is, in the eyes of *this* world's society, evil. His actions don't serve the greater good of anyone but himself, that we can discern. However, Pesmerga dosen't seem to be in direct opposition of that. He keeps to himself, and is very guarded. Their role as opposites here is disjointed, meaning that their conflict will persist, since Pesmerga's personality is off kilter, and dosen't complete the void left by Yuber's rather one sided-ness. We know very little of Pesmerga, and only slightly more of Yuber, so that theory dosen't hold a lot of weight as it stands.

So, we have something here, which with our current knowlegde is an incomplete theory. Ideas, with no justification. The rest is just idle speculation.

Now, Yuber and Pesmerga share some interesting characteristics. It's known that True Runes have a will of their own. What happens if this will conflicts with that of a bearer's? We don't know. The bearer will most likley be killed by their rune as it seeks control, and then it will choose another bearer. Now, here's something I've thought up. Bear with me here. I know it has several holes in it.

Yuber (if that is his true name. You'll see why I say that later.) accquired the Eightfold Rune somehow. The rune and Yuber fell into conflict. Now, with the Runes connection to Nirvana, might it make sense that it is in fact, a rune governing peace and conflict? Here's my justification, in the form of my speculation. The rune actually banished Yuber's spirit from his body. With an empty shell, it was free to take control. It's primary objective would be to bring the world closer to itself, correct? What better way to do this than using the body it had suddenly accquired. Now, Yuber, in his resistance, is now a banished spirit. This accounts for Pesmerga's noiseless movement, the fact that he dosen't need to eat, or sleep. I'm sure most of you are seeing where I'm headed here, but I'll say it anyways. Yuber is the physical body, under control of the rune. Thus allowing it to be summoned, and summon monsters. Pesmerga is the spirit of Yuber, banished from his body, attempting to reunite with it and regain control from the rune which usurped him so long ago. A spirit is immortal, and the rune grants immortality to the body.

It's plausible. It's also pretty neat, if I do say so myself.

I'd love to hear all your comments on it.
revolution is my name

Post by revolution is my name »

It's an interseting theory indeed. And as i mentioned in another thread (where my answer got deleted, but i'm blaming myself for that since i got a little careless with spoilers) we'll probably se more of Pesmerga/Yuber in future instalments of Suikoden, due to Konamis obvious care for the Suiko. fans.

Just one question though. Do you mean by your theory that Yuber's body is being controlled by the rune and that's the reason he keeps running from Pesmerga (the spirt)?