"Theme" of the True Runes

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Falqueene

Post by Falqueene »

I'd really like to see this Major Arcanum theory all layed out, I've seen it metioned a few times :D

Another theory for predicting future True Runes could be to look at existing runes. Fore example, the five elemental runes weren't introduced as True Runes until the third game, though we had access to regular elemental runes in 1 and 2.

The White Saint Rose and Red Rose Runes don't have a clear "true" counterpart, so it's fair to assume that there's a true nature/plant type rune in the future. This could also tie into the balance theory, where a nature type rune could respresent serenity, and oppose the more primal beast rune.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

I've not heard the full theory, but I think I kind of understand it. Lemme layer out the 22 Major Arcana cards and their meanings and maybe we can figure it out from there.

The Fool - represents following your heart, not looking back, pressing on, also of the power of imagination and dreams. Purity of action. "All things are possible."

The Magician - kind of the opposite of the fool. A calculated manner of channeling creativity, by being self-confident. The power to create meaning and purpose to your life.

The High Priestess - the power of unconscious forces in the world, the unseen powers that give the earth its form and purpose; the invisible thread that binds us together. (possibly the Gate Rune)

The Empress - the visible manifestation of the forces of nature, both nurturing and destructive; governs the eternal cycle of birth, death, and rebirth (possibly the Sun Rune)

The Emperor - the external world that exists out of nature: society, civilization, unity, order. Represents the different controlling forces in our lives. (Sovereign or Circle Runes maybe)

The Heirophant - connection between oneself and the divine, morality, a higher path than the laws represented by the Emperor

The Lovers - on the simplest level, represents the act of union between a man and woman. On a higher level speaks of moving on to the stage of building for the future. Also represents the duality of masculine (conscious self) and feminine (unconscious self). Harmony and balance. (sounds like Rune of Beginning to me)

The Chariot - ambition, innocently diving into a purpose, discipline, purpose, emotional control, success no matter what, the power of the will

Strength - inner strength, courage from wisdom, the more ordered form of the Chariot

The Hermit/The Wise Man - peace, quiet, contemplation, bringing order to chaos, meditation, reflection

The Wheel of Fortune - the wheel of life, the coming and going of all things, the "stand still and accept fate, waiting for changes, or take the initiative to bring about changes yourself" mindset. "The wheel of destiny spins with or without you." The cyclical nature of man

Justice - karma, punishment and reward, harmony and balance, balance in all things (don't be lazy but don't push yourself too hard, don't focus too much on material things or on spiritual things, balance work and home, etc.) (This has Rune of Punishment written all over it)

The Hanged Man - nonconformity, looking at things from a different angle, a state of suspense between one state of being and another, doing what you feel is right above what others tell you, faith and destiny and belief in both

Death - change, transformation, the darkness that precedes light, the end of the old and the beginning of the new, cleansing, nothing is forever but rather always changing (this is most likely the Souleater)

Temperance - if Justice is the consequences of living out of balance, Temperance is the guide to living in that balance. The need to recognize the need for limitations, self-knowledge, extremism is bad, etc

The Devil - a card of darkness, that speaks of limits we place on ourselves, be they being misled by material things, unable to love life for what it is, running instead of facing challenges, the fears we carry around with us, etc

The Tower - breaking free from the walls that imprison us, major change as opposed to the more subtle change of Death, the process of change itself (as opposed to the steps leading up to it), change is unexpected even when hoped for (This is most liekly the Rune of Change)

The Star - the calm after the storm, peace and harmony after a major change, resting and reflecting, a connection to a higher self

The Moon - being tested, illusions, madness, chaos, a warning of the unknown (possibly the Blue Moon Rune)

The Sun - growth, absence of darkness, reflection, enlightenment, empowerment, a centered life, the dawning of a new day

Judgement - look no further, wait no longer, act now, new paths are opening, a new beginning

The World - the end of a journey, a coming together of all things, a joining of all things in the world, a wholesomeness, oneness (this sounds like the Circle Rune to me, as the card represents cycles heavily)

So there's the cards, from 0 to 21. Any one else have any ideas on where some of the runes might fit in with this theory? I've listed a few
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Intraman

Post by Intraman »

The problem with comparing the runes to the High (or Major) Arcana is that the High Arcana are heavily dependant on the situation and questions asked during a reading. Sure they have "general meanings" but those meanings extremely vary depending on who is doing the readings. Most will tell you that the cards' meanings are more like "this could mean" or "that probably reprosents."
For example, the Fool could mean someone is moving to quickly, is not focusing enough on a certain event/person/object/goal, is unsure of what to do next, will have/has alot of free time, is living very carefree/ is feeling liberated, or a number of other things. See how there is nothing completely concrete about there exact meanings. Which is unlike the True Runes which have concrete proposes.
Of course this is not to say that some of the True Runes don't embody similar concepts to that of the High Arcana, but I don't think that, if the creators of Suikoden had any understanding of Tarot Cards, they would base the 27 True Runes off the High Arcana.
Though I do think that one could use the 27 True Runes Concept for divination, and it would make an interesting fortune telling character hehe.

I think that this idea is just a form of pattern recognition. It's like saying "Oh well 3 x 9 = 27! so the True Runes must fit into 3 groups of 9!"

In either case, we won't know sure unless it is official announced or once all the 27 True Runes are known and we have enough evidance to support a theory.