"Theme" of the True Runes

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

That page is a bad reference, since it lists the Eightfold and Eight-devil Runes being one and the same, among other things. I attempted to inform the administrators of the error, and they only argued back with a severely flawed logic.

I'd compare whatever the Suikoden Network has to say against Suikosource before using them as a reference.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

im sorry. i was only trying to P.E.E (Point Example Explain-use a quote to back up what you say)
Buff

Post by Buff »

i was looking at that site and on the rune of punishment it says that edgar held the run but he never did.it went from steele to brandeau.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Several times I've heard it entertained that the 27 True Runes might be based off the Major Arcanum of the tarot. I don't know if this theory has been descredited, but I think it certainly fits--there are 22 cards in the Major Arcana, and if you take away the 5 elemental runes, you are left with 22 True Runes.

Of course, it also makes sense that the true runes be split into two different catagories, Chaos and Order (or Dharma, if you prefer), which is not supported by the Major Arcana theory. However, the runes can still be based off the Major Arcana, and then be split into their seperate camps.

This, however, raises another question about the Rune of beginning. Some people speculate that this rune acts as a balance between order and chaos, with the other 26 runes split down the middle. With 22 runes being based on the cards of the Major Arcana, that would leave only 21 to be split between chaos and order, tipping the bálance towards one or the other--but on the contrary, if you were to include the 5 elemental runes in this balance and simply assume that there is no tarot card associated with them, than you would keep the balance despite the rune of beginning's suspected neutrality.

In this way both theories could be accepted together.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I remember the very first Suikoden instruction manual saying all runes were born from the 27 true runes.

I always try to think which normal runes come from which true rune.

So it's pretty obvious where the elemental ones come from and things like that. But I always wondered why playing Suikoden 1, "Which True Rune decided to give birth to the Boar Rune??"
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

lol

well if the boar rune was born from a true rune it would probably be the beast rune

or maybe its a distant cousin of the beast rune or something lol
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

son_michael wrote:lol

well if the boar rune was born from a true rune it would probably be the beast rune

or maybe its a distant cousin of the beast rune or something lol
Wow, I actually never thought of the beast rune. That's a good answer.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

Some runes are aspects, there can be no argument against it. Also, the aspects have much more power than normal runes, but less then true. And, when combined, they make a true rune. Aspects have minds, just like true runes, and also have curses (SSR and BBR). This puts them in their own catagory. and the boar can not be a cousin of the beast. the runes are offspring of the true runes (in a sense)
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

anokosa wrote:Some runes are aspects, there can be no argument against it. Also, the aspects have much more power than normal runes, but less then true. And, when combined, they make a true rune. Aspects have minds, just like true runes, and also have curses (SSR and BBR). This puts them in their own catagory. and the boar can not be a cousin of the beast. the runes are offspring of the true runes (in a sense)
You basicly completely missunderstood son_micheal. He didin't mean it like that but a bit more jokingly.

Also we don't actually know all normal runes are born from a True Rune. we just know some are.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

however, the true runes were the inspiration for the runes that are equippable. Oh and I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you said son_micheal.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

True Runes aren't necessary the inspiration for the equippable runes. Those runes that can be equipped are essentially there for gameplay purposes and to allow diversity between characters who supposedly have special skills if you want to be technical. True Runes seem to have a much grander scheme. I mean, try to link the Phero Rune to a True Rune. Hard to do isn't it?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yes, it has been said that not all runes are spawned from the True Runes. But, it has also been said that certain runes do infact come from True Runes. Blue/Pale Gate and Gate, Darkness and Soul Eater, et cetera, et cetera.
Punishment_xmas

Post by Punishment_xmas »

I hope true day or shining rune and time rune
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I read through the section and didn't see the conclusion of the Sun/Dawn/Twilight runes.

Edited due to Info being limited to SV forums. Sorry! :(

Also, runes such as Boar and Falcon are skills put into rune form by the "schools" that teach certain arts.
Last edited by Seraph on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are free to severe the chains of Fate that bind us...Yet this, too, may be our Destiny.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Those runes are not included in this topic because discussions that require facts from Suikoden V must take place in the specific sections dedicated to them, and nowhere else.

Thank you.