Hugo = the REAL True Fire Rune Bearer? Also Hallec vs. Hugo?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Chaos_Zero

Hugo = the REAL True Fire Rune Bearer? Also Hallec vs. Hugo?

Post by Chaos_Zero »

I may be a bit late, if I am, sorry. I don't know this answer yet. I don't know if it's official, I assume not, but as you all have noticed, Hugo is seen fighting the Fire Dragon in the anime intro. The only person to fight the fire dragon is the next True Fire Rune bearer...

I mean, it'd make a helluva lot of sense for Hugo to be the next Fire Hero, seeing as Geddoe already has the True Lightning Rune, and Chris would later get the True Water Rune from Wyatt, her father. That'd be the best, and most logical ending to who has which rune, IMO.

Then there's the scene where Hugo LOOKS as if he's attacking Hallec (the barbarian). I think I remember that in the game, you don't fight him at all. Was this a mistake? Or was it something that was supposed to happen, and was changed in the final version of the game?
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Yes I noticed that aswell. When you think about it, if you choose Geddoe as your Flame Champion, he gives his Lightening rune to Hugo; and if it's Chris, she gives the Water rune to him. Also, Hugo seems like the usual rpg game hero. So Hugo must've been Konami's first choice.

The fight with Hallec never happens at any point during the game, so it must be some kind of mistake.
Credit goes to "lucreborn" for my previous avatar.
"Judgement of Lorelai" for my current one!
Thanks both =)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Hugo charged at Hallec in the manga, so that explains the scene in the opening. However the whole scene where this actually took place was never included as part of the actual game.

The manga also ultimately made Hugo the Flame Champion. Of course, there is no such thing as 'choosing your own FC' in the manga. Don't let that keep you from using the other two though, since it is interesting to observe the later half of the game from the others' point of view.
Ginzo

Post by Ginzo »

Also if you noticed in the SuikodenIV trailer there was a scene where Hugo was casting a spell using the True Fire Rune
So I guess you could count it official that Hugo is the flame champion

However I have another question :

when Hugo encourages the fighters at brass castle does he adopt the former flame champion's name or does he maintain his original name?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The manga doesn't have that scene.
Eao

Post by Eao »

it would be troublesome to rewrite the story for two more characters.
I take it, Hugo should be a sucessor because he to came from Grasslands, and Grassland's people are horribley misstreated and obvoiously need a miricial(spl) of shorts.

I havn't beaten the game with the others yet, but my first time around i chose Chris as my FC (i tought it would be a good growth-learning lession for her)
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Is the Manga in japanese only? I was curious about the circumstances between the Hallec and Hugo fight. How it happened, what lead up to it, who won :)

If it's in English, I'll go find the manga, but if it isn't; perhaps someone could fill in a little bit of backstory?

...And I agree, Hugo is the logical choice for the Flame Champ. Everything in-game pointed at him to be it and even using prior Suikoden's to establish a pattern, one could see that Hugo was the best fit.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

The manga has been released in the US, you should be able to find it at a local bookstore, if not you can order it online.
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Ahh thanks for the info. I had always thought those things were released in Japanese only.