Konami hint?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

To be quite honest Im shocked your disagreeing with me on this matter demon eye

just tell me why luc was trying to convince hugo to join him

because If luc was just doing it for himself then why would he even think hugo would consider it? and why would luc fight so passionatly and kill so many innocent people for such selfish reasons?

Im sure I remember luc telling hugo that the world was imprisoned and he wanted to set everyone free

if possible can you point out several scenes in suikoden 3 that show luc not caring about anyone and explaining that hes gonna destroy his rune just so he could be free?

If you could that would be great cause im am shocked to hear that luc did all those unkind things just to set himself free from the pain
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

This isn't really a case of "which one was his true motive?", but more like both were his motives, although one may be more subtle than the other. His goals for ending his life would be to end his cruel existence, and "to set the world free." He can be seen as selfish, and yet he cares about others enough to kill himself. Truly, he is one of the deepest characters in the entire series.
Mymiridion

Post by Mymiridion »

Its true all true rune bearers are supposedly "cursed" with its presence, but i think along with freeing himself Luc did it more so that he could change the future of destruction.
I really try to make sure everyone knows this whole talk of good and bad in suikoden really doesnt work well. Sure ill accept it if you say Yuber is evil, because he wants chaos and destruction no doubt about it, (also even if yuber was a star doesnt mean he is good especially not in the circumstances of suikoden 3). But when you say Luc is good in suiko 1 and 2 and Sasarai is bad, thats not true at all. Sure Luca was evil in suiko2 but Sasarai was not fighting for destruction. Just like Jowy, he fought for a reason. You can just vote them off as bad, or else you would have to say that Jowy is a bad guy when really he isnt he just has a different belief. Just remember in suikoden there isnt always a exact black and white, good and evil.
Chaos would suite me just fine ~Yuber
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Oh, it's not that I disagree with you or anything. It's just that I believe he began his quest in the ultimate hopes to free himself from the curse of being a True Rune Bearer. His own freedom was his ultimate goal. It seems as if he tried to justify it by using the vision given to him by the True Wind Rune to justify the destruction of it, but I can't say for sure that it was not an unbiased vision.

One cannot be sure if it was his wishes to be free, that gave him a vision of a world controlled by Order and then he would have a cause to destroy the True Wind Rune thus allowing him to see what he wanted to see ultimately or was the True Wind Rune showing him a possible future unabated by Luc's personal agendas or its own agendas. One cannot be sure if Luc was not ultimately manipulated by the True Wind Rune.

We know that Luc was not pleased with his existence. By the last statement he makes upon being defeated it leads one to believe that he knew his goal in destroying the True Wind Rune was ultimately hopeless, but at least he could be free. So, it makes me believe that he truly wanted to be freed and his ultimate goal was not to save the world at all. But, Jowy points out that both of his goals, no matter which was primary and which was secondary, were selfish and self-serving.

And I'm not talking about just Suikoden 3, but all games that he appeared in. From Suikoden 1 to Suikoden 3 Luc had a very displeasing disposition. On one side he helped to aid in the fight for justice, but on the other side he isolated himself, distancing himself. Like I said before, he eventually came to believe in the goal to free humanity, but it didn't start out that way.

He loathed the idea of being a bearer of the True Wind Rune, but living that sort of life for so long you have to become accustomed to it and accept it, but you never forget the pain that it has caused you. He just devised a way to get rid of it and serve humanity in the process, but again, if we consider his hatred for being born as a clone for the specific purposes of being a vessel for something he truly hates as he hates being the bearer of a True Rune, then we must consider that freeing himself from the very thing he hates is his ultimate goal and saving humanity was secondary.

In Suikoden 3, he showed disregard for life when he plotted the death of Zepon, when he commanded Sarah to use illusions to promote disunity between the Great Clans which led to the razing of the Karayan Village, and he showed disregard for life when he even began considering destroying the True Wind Rune which he knew would destroy thousands of lives including his own.

Yes, he may have been deluded into believing he was serving humanity, but in the end it seems like he didn't even believe it himself. Look at the scenes with Leknaat before he dies and where he is in spirit form. She hints at his true intentions the first time, which she considered careless and selfish I believe, and prays for his final freedom at the end.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Well I think luc believed it was a win win situation and thats why he was able to kill and do those things, like you said though maybe he was manipulated by the rune so he would believe what he was doing was right

I thought uou were saying luc did it only to free himself but now youve said luc had a secondary motive so now I agree with you. I always thought luc did what he did for unselfish reasons but after thinking more about it luc did do alot of selfish things, I dont know if setting himself free was his primary motive or if setting the world free was his primary motive but either way we agree on this matter

concerning suikoden 1 and 2, I think luc was just a cocky kid because he had so much power and well he was probably acting like a teenager would act, I dont think luc was heroic or righteous in 1 and 2 but that he was just following leknauts orders, my guess is during suiko 3 his rune gave him a sense of urgency and desperation and he had to stop it no matter what, the rune also made him think it was the right thing to do for all the world
Ska_Kitti

Post by Ska_Kitti »

son_michael wrote:concerning suikoden 1 and 2, I think luc was just a cocky kid because he had so much power and well he was probably acting like a teenager would act, I dont think luc was heroic or righteous in 1 and 2 but that he was just following leknauts orders, my guess is during suiko 3 his rune gave him a sense of urgency and desperation and he had to stop it no matter what, the rune also made him think it was the right thing to do for all the world
I think within those fifteen years between GS2 and GS3, he was actually able to age a bit mentally and do some realization. If you consider Luc a teenager in GS1 and 2, he'd be in his late twenties or early thirties by GS3.
"Oh my! A giant woman."
"What did you just call me?"
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Luc is 32 during Suikoden 3.
I hope everything is going delicious.