Barbarossa's rune?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Luna5358

Barbarossa's rune?

Post by Luna5358 »

As we all know Emperor Barbarossa had a certain rune that was passed down in his family from father to son i think, well i have two questions

1. Barbarossa's rune was said to deflet all magic from its holder and thats why Windy's magic wasn't able to control his mind, but then when you fight him at the end of the game why are you able to use magic on him??

2. we all know that barbarossa is an older man, eventually things are gonna stop working, so then why doesn't barbarossa remarry so as to get an heir to the throne, who exactly did he expect to take over after him??
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Answer to 2. Well since he had the Sovereign Rune, he would stop aging so "things would still be working." I guess he thought he could wait as long as he wanted.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Luna5358

Post by Luna5358 »

nuSeed wrote:Answer to 2. Well since he had the Sovereign Rune, he would stop aging so "things would still be working." I guess he thought he could wait as long as he wanted.
ooooooh yea, i forgot that the soverign rune was a true rune, i see now thanks for clearing that up for me
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Actually, Barbarossa ages because the Sovereign Rune is attached to the hilt of the Dragon King Sword and not his body.

Also, the Dragon King Sword and the Star Dragon Sword do not rust because True Runes are attached to their hilts.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlock
Location: Staying at Greenhill...next stop - Matilda Knightdom!

Re: Barbarossa's rune?

Post by Merlock »

Luna5358 wrote:1. Barbarossa's rune was said to deflet all magic from its holder and thats why Windy's magic wasn't able to control his mind, but then when you fight him at the end of the game why are you able to use magic on him??
Well perhaps battle magic differs from magic outside of it. Probably not physically cause all magic in Suikoden arises from runes but just theoretically.
Then again I might be missing something and something might have been done to Barbarossa's rune like what the heroes do to nullify Neclord's rune.
I played the first Suikoden a looong time ago and unfortunately don't remember it as well...
Merlock Fang - apprentace mage, brilliant tactician and hopeless romantic, at your service...
adrich
Elite Member

Re: Barbarossa's rune?

Post by adrich »

Luna5358 wrote:1. Barbarossa's rune was said to deflet all magic from its holder and thats why Windy's magic wasn't able to control his mind, but then when you fight him at the end of the game why are you able to use magic on him??
When he transformed into the golden hydra his spell immunity was divided up between the three heads. One was immune to fire, one to lightning, and one to wind.
The Board Rules: Because knowledge is power!
Wolfblade

Post by Wolfblade »

Also if he had been immune to all magic the fight would have taken hours.
Usesnumbers

Post by Usesnumbers »

Wolfblade wrote:Also if he had been immune to all magic the fight would have taken hours.
I have actually taken him out with out using magic. The first time I fought him I was thinking about how his rune made it useless to use magic. It does take a long time, but I wouldn't say anylonger than it took me to kill the WindRincar in S3 at level 64..
Deconstr
Viper

Post by Viper »

answer to 1: well it's probably just a gameplay issue. creators enable you to use runes for gameplay purpose.

answer to 2: i think he loved claudia too much and didn't decide to remarry. he probably wasn't thinking so far ahead. and yea he will eventually age and die because the soveriegn rune only grants immortality to his sword.
dgbbad

Post by dgbbad »

after u defeat him he grabs windy and jumps off the balcony.....why didnt McDohl go get that bad ass sword?
im sitting here....playin suikoden II and posting on here....cant beat that.....
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Barbarossa took the sword with him.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Artreides, to my knowledge, the idea that you do still age when a true rune is imbedded in your weapon has not been proven. As of yet it is still a theory. Unless you can show me the proof. My idea is that it would, but since Barbarosa is not in contact with the rune 24/7 the effect does not reach him completely.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Kranach and Karnach Rugner both had the Dragon King Sword with them, just like Barbarossa. Since there's no recording of anything odd about their deaths they probably died of old age or some other natural cause. True Runes prevent death by old age or natural causes, so it's pretty much official that True Runes in weapons doesn't affect the weapon wielder at all.

If you really want me to go into detail I will (I'll assume that you do).
Suikox wrote:Michelan Rugner was the father of Barbarossa Rugner and brother to Geil Rugner. His rule was peaceful, but due to his lack of political power towards the end of his rule, he allowed his brother, Geil Rugner, to gain influence within the court. This lead to the "Trial of Sovereignhood" which robbed Barbarossa of his right to thr throne, and caused the Succession War.
Suikox also wrote:Geil Rugner is the brother of Michelan RUgner and uncle to Barbarossa Rugner. He was the older brother, but due to Karnach Rugner's dying wish, Michelan was chosen over Geil as the successor and Emperor of the Scarlet Moon Empire.
Since nothing odd is mentioned about their deaths and it's said they had peaceful rules they more than likely died from old age or a disease of some sort. And since some of Michelan Rugner's kids died from illness why didn't he just hand the sword to them and let them bask in its power and avoid their deaths? If simply wielding a sword could grant you agelessness then people could just pass it around and stay around forever.

If you're looking for a quote from Suikosource/Suikox saying that True Runes on weapons don't affect the weapon's wielder then I've got nothing. It's exactly the same with the fact that Jeane's mysteriousness isn't the result of a True Rune. It's not stated anywhere on any sites but it's become fact through the forums. (If it is on a site somewhere then I apoligize, I didn't check too hard on this one.)

Right now I'm gonna do some searches on some Suikoden forums to see if SARS has said anything about this. I'll probably edit this post in a few minutes with some more proof from a reliable source.

Edit: Yup, found some stuff. Suikox is much too large to search and SARS himself hasn't said anything here but other members have agreed and not a single person has disagreed with them.
Jowy Atreides wrote:I hope I'm not wrong here but Barbarossa does NOT have immortality. The Sovereign Rune is embedded on the Dragon King Sword and thus only grants the sword rustlessness (sword's version of immortality). If the Rugner family had the Sovereign Rune on their body the original Rugner would still be the Emperor of the SME
This is what I said, hoping someone smart would support me.
Ced The Lad wrote:Yep, he doesn't have immortality. Like Highland's Platinum Spear, the Dragon King Sword is passed down the Rugner family.
And it happened. (Only referring to Ced's post.)
demon eye wrote:You can still wield the power of the True Rune, example is Barbarossa and the Sovereign Rune, but you are not imbued with agelessness.
I'm not sure where I heard it but since none of the more knowledgeable members have questioned it I'm guessing it was stated somewhere that I'm just not aware of.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

The fact that Barbarossa does not age with his respective True Rune attached to an inanimate object has been proven. The Rugner family has passed down the Sovereign Rune for ages with it in the hilt of the Dragon King Sword. It is a family heirloom. It has also been stated that a True Rune in an inanimate object does not grant agelessness to the bearer.

Note: Barbarossa bore the Sovereign Rune for many years and has been mentioned as an "aging old man" by a few of his subordinates and Barbarossa is an ever-present figure. Many saw him on a daily basis and to call him "aging" shows that he does in fact grow old. Some even mentioned that his reign may have became sloppy due to his old age. So, it is quite clear that Barbarossa has become older since his possession of the Dragon King Sword because no one would call you an aging old man if you were hadn't changed your appearance in years. So, it's safe to say that Barbarossa did not get agelessness from the Sovereign Rune.

Also to support my statment that you can use a True Rune's power without having it directly attached to you and that you aren't granted agelessness if the True Ruen isn't directly attached to you, the Zodiac Sword has been said not to rust due to the fact that it bears the Night Rune. This shows that an inanimate object can be affected by a True Rune's power, but you have to be in immediate contact with the True Rune, meaning the True Rune must be directly attached to the bearer. But, this does not restrict the use of its power.

Proof of that is the fact that the Beast Rune is widely known to have been attached to the main hall of L'Renouille Castle. Luca Blight and Leon Silverberg were able to draw on its power even though it was attached to a castle room.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

demon eye wrote:Proof of that is the fact that the Beast Rune is widely known to have been attached to the main hall of L'Renouille Castle. Luca Blight and Leon Silverberg were able to draw on its power even though it was attached to a castle room.
And the castle did in fact "die" when the Beast Rune was defeated.

Oh, on a side-note: Did the rune disappear after that? I mean, did it in fact die or something? or did it just disappear until it regained power?
[evil laugh here]