How could Luca fight wounded against 18 characters?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
dryst00

Post by dryst00 »

u ever seen scarface?...well at the end when hes shooting everyone with that BFG he gets shot like 30 times and it just pissed him off even more....

also...
I personally disagree with you Killey. When you fought Luca in three groups he had (roughly) 18,000 hit points. When you duel Han at L'Renouille he had (estimate) 700-900 hit points. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the training helped out a lot too, but I don't see how a pupil can be staggeringly more powerful than his master without something else fueling his power. My personal believe is that more of his power came from pure hatred and determination than intense training.

Note: Luca and Han's hit points are estimates, but you get the general idea

perhaps he has a good supply of mega medicine he used as he walked from battle to battle? :P
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

Well, he had so much rage in his life, he turned it into power?
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I believe that is what the game designers were going for yes, he was fueled by pure hate and anger. The Dark side of the force. :lol:
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

ok, I was seeing if I was right. Guess I was. Yay for me!! :D
Silver Dragon Flik

Re: How could Luca fight wounded against 18 characters?

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Maldonado wrote:Duell between Luca Blight and Hero was one of the most interesting parts of Suikoden 2. But as everybody probably noticed, Luca was wounded all the time. He took two arrows before he fought face-to-face with the strongest men in Liberation army. But how could a wounded man fight against 18 other men and beat them all, just to be killed by a child few minutes later? A strongest warrior in Highland, beast on the battlefield, man who drinks blood of his enemies, killed by a teenager while 18 other grown-up men couldn't beat him? Maybe they wore him out, so by the time he faced Hero he was already tired and he lost too much blood? How strong that guy was?! :roll:
Luca loses all 3 battles. At least the final team wins and has to take off the remaining HP until he's down to 3/4. (I think the game doesn't really count the arrows as damage.) 18 men take down 3/4 of Luca's HP and the main character takes down 1/4.

I thought Luca's total HP is 10000.
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

Watching his mother being raped by bandits kinda gets to a child, maybe being weak was just not an option for the pimp of highland.
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

It's fairly obvious that Luca's strength comes from himself and his own twisted mind. Seriously, that's the main reason he's so damn scary! Obviously, his training and armor gave him an edge, as did his sheer determination, but I can't completely count the Beast Rune out of his list of strengths.

I'm not saying that the rune actually gave him power the way most runes do. Rather, I think the Beast Rune provided Luca with a sense of invinciablity. After the events at Muse, it would be hard for anyone not to see the rune as a nigh unstoppable force. Luca probably thought that as long as he had that feral force to fall back on, he was as good as immortal on the battlefield.

Plus, we can't ignore the effect of the whole mind-over-matter aspect here, either. Luca did not see himself as a great general or a powerful prince; based on his last words, he likely saw himself the same way other people did - as a bloodthirsty demonic tank of a man. Luca seemed to like this persona, so much so as he wished to be remembered that way even once he realized he was moments from death. Luca feverishly believed himself to be unstoppable, and to a certain degree, he was.

Finally, I think the time frame of the fight plays a factor here. Luca's last stand seems long only because of the turn-based battle system. Hell, it took me an hour to fight him my first try and I lost! The turn system is a gameplay element, and if you ignore that, it seems more likely that each clash with a seperate group lasted only a few moments or less, just long enough for Luca to fend them off and discourage or wound them enough to simply walk away. All in all, Luca's last stand probably only lasted 10 minutes at most, which is no less impressive since he was surely in incredible pain the whole time.

Of course, I like to think that Luca may still be alive, and will drag himself into South Window some day soon and start going nuts again, but that's just me :twisted:
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Archer

Post by Archer »

Its not like it was Luca vs 18 people in duel to the death. It was a brawl. A spell here, an attack there. He was probably on his way to dying after all those arrows struck him but like everyone has been saying, determination and adrennaline can do a hell of a lot. Luca may have been trained by Han but Riou was trained by Genkaku. He may have only been a 16 year old boy but he had one half of the Rune of Beginning, a whole lot of determination himself and a bloody, beaten Luca bearly hanging to life and too crazed to realise it. I think that battle was incredibly dramatic and perfectly paced. Suikoden would do well to recapture some of that old passion it used to have before it became obsessed with high pitched voice actors and hard to see 3D graphics. I thought Luca's battles, story and atmosphere were done to perfection.
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

luca was hard as fark! thats why kids.
me > world
Ven

Post by Ven »

I think I laughed--I don't know why--when I saw this.

Sheer willpower does wonders.
Baron

Post by Baron »

Imagen,what would happen if he consumed the Beast Rune or at least got some powers of Beast Rune...
Die Pig!
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

With the fire sealing rune equipped, Luca couldint beat a single character.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Based on official information, Luca was designed to be the most powerful fighter in the world. He was pretty much designed to be unbeatable when it comes to battle, and Murayama says this wasn't due to the Beast rune or anything supernatural-- it was purely due to Luca's natural talent as a fighter as well as his training, determination, and pure hatred.
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Can't count out adrenaline either, and the fact that he was probably too far gone to feel any pain at that point either. The man was f&%#in' crazy, is what I'm say.

Oh, and Vermillion.Twilight, I don't remember Luca using any fire attacks during the one-on-one duel, or any when he butchered villagers or cut down Pohl. At least, unlike villians like Windy, he actually fought in any sort of battle! Windy couldn't even struggle out of the grip of dying old Barbarossa before he pulled her off a roof. Just goes to show the drawbacks of pure caster-type characters: throwing lightning bolts is cool and all, but it's hard to be scary when you can throw a punch :wink:
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Crowetron wrote:Can't count out adrenaline either, and the fact that he was probably too far gone to feel any pain at that point either. The man was f&%#in' crazy, is what I'm say.

Oh, and Vermillion.Twilight, I don't remember Luca using any fire attacks during the one-on-one duel, or any when he butchered villagers or cut down Pohl. At least, unlike villians like Windy, he actually fought in any sort of battle! Windy couldn't even struggle out of the grip of dying old Barbarossa before he pulled her off a roof. Just goes to show the drawbacks of pure caster-type characters: throwing lightning bolts is cool and all, but it's hard to be scary when you can throw a punch :wink:
Well during the one on one duel he lost
Pohl was just some 19 year old kid who was good at math.

Luca really only shined in his death...He lost every other time.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"