How could Luca fight wounded against 18 characters?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Celsis

Post by Celsis »

Black Fang wrote:Actually he fought 6 people THREE times in a row and then a guy with a true rune (and yes I'm aware its only half a rune) not to mention with all those arrows sticking outta his back! :P
Yes yes, I didn't want to go into every little detail for otherwise I'd have a mile long post. But yes I did know that he did it 3 times on 6 in each time =p but I only said 6 for the comparison to Chang Yu who probably did it on one at a time.
Luna Cressier

Post by Luna Cressier »

SARSadmin wrote: Also, I misspelled the name of the general, his name is spelled Xiang Yu in most places.
Wasn't the Xiang family the Taiwanese pirate family that became emperor, or something to that effect.

anyways, to be on topic. I always thought that it was his pure anger and bloodlust that gave him strength. But did Murayama actaully say it was only physical prowess or did he mean that it comes from his emotions?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Luna Cressier wrote:
Wasn't the Xiang family the Taiwanese pirate family that became emperor, or something to that effect.
Must be anover Xiang. It's a common surname.
anyways, to be on topic. I always thought that it was his pure anger and bloodlust that gave him strength. But did Murayama actaully say it was only physical prowess or did he mean that it comes from his emotions?
He said it is purely from pyshical prowess, but it probably comes from his intense hatred as well.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

where does luca's fire magic come from? i think it was said once that it came from scrolls but i dont know of any spells that have flaming arrows engulf the body and give the user fire enchanted physical attack.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Murayama stated in the Suikoden 2 108 characters guide's interview that Luca used "an item" to ignite his sword.

A similar discussion took place in this thread in page 2 I think, so you may be able to find more info there.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

And yeah, I took far longer preparing for the Luca battle than the Beast Rune. My preparation for the Beast Rune was simply walking through L'Renouille, that leveled me up enough to fight it and kill it easily.
Same here, suppose thats coz you have three parties to prepare rather than just one as well as getting ready for a hard out mini war.
The "Ci Zhi" is probably translated into English, because it is a major historical text of Chinese history. It can probably be found as Shiji. Try a yahoo or google search, or even on amazon and perhaps you will find it.
Tanx a bunch SARS. I'll definatelly look it up.
He's somewhat glorified beyond his actual historical role in recent games made by Koei though.
Romance of the three kingdoms???

It just goes to show that even the most creative gaming fantasy worlds rely on good old myths and legends.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

Some of you act amazed at what Luca Blight did in those game battles, but you have no trouble believing that characters like Georg, Humphrey and Pesmerga can take 1 damage from monsters that can kill normal men? or Riou can dodge every one of their attacks?

It's an rpg...they are obviously meant to be taken as much stronger than the average person...can the average person cast spells, or teleport? no more so than one man could fight off dozens of attackers on his own. Which by the way he was not. He had his white wolf guard in the first fight. a few in the second, and i dont think he had any in the third, but he might have.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

I understand what you are saying Flame but this discussion has kind of stopped two months ago for one and it was really about the source of Luca's power. Jackie Chan dodges everyone’s attacks too :P . Pesmerga more than likely isn't human, Georg and Humphrey are old veterans with strong armor and experience in taking hits.

Even for an RPG standard, especially one which was modeled on the real world as basis, Luca is still incredibly powerful. The power to teleport and cast spells clearly comes from the runes that inhibit that world (asides from Crowley who is a special case). Luca didn't have any of his guards in his last fight, and those guys are just plain inexperienced and weak compared to your general parties. They all fall within one hit. I get the point but I believe its clear that Konami made him as powerful to make a strong point in the game.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Clangeddin

Post by Clangeddin »

I think you're just taking gameplay issues and making 'em elements of plot-line...

Of course, Luca was strong, but thats because he's the boss and he fights alone... that happens for everygame, if he would have joined your party u think he'd have had 6000 hp??? Hell no... -__-''
The same was for Garr of Breath of Fire 3, if u think about it...
I say this because I think there are a lot more stronger characters than Luca Blight, man u truly believe that Luca Blight could have done away Yuber like he did with Selon Jee??? Mmmmm.... I think that in that case it wouldn't have been Riou to have put end to Luca's life....

A stronger boss in gameplay doesn't mean a stronger boss in storyline at all... Take Neclord for example... he's a wimp compared to the Rock Golem u encounter before but u seriously think that in the storyline that Golem is stronger than Neclord???
Dont make the Big Show angry! XD
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's simple. Insanity grants in most cases, a superhuman resistance to pain, as well as a superhuman strength and agility. I back up Luca's insanity with his cackle on the batlefield, and his haunted face. I've seen crazy people shrug off enough tranquillizer that under normal circumstances would kill them. I've seen insane folks take a hit from a half a million volt stun gun and not waver. Insanity does strange things to the body's chemistry, most of which we don't understand.

Now, if I may draw a parallel to another game, Xenogears. Id, (which is Fei's detached side of Freud's theory about the Id, Ego, and Superego) is massivley strong. He's also quite demented. The theory holds that the Id is the bestial side of man, the instinctual, yet calculating hunter. Possessed of incredible strength and skill, the Id would be a force to be reckoned with. The main point of the Id would be defense of the body, as well as those the ego and superego holds dear. Although, the Id would see these people more like possessions, and so might inadvertently hurt them in the process.

What if what we fought was Luca's Id? He didn't seem bent on destruction, per say, but protection of himself, and of what he saw as his. That would include a pre-emptive strike on anything he precieved as a threat.
Gau

Post by Gau »

It wasn't Koei that elevated Lu Bu, but Luo Guan Zhong instead in his novel Romance of Three Kingdoms. RTK was a historical novel, so it had both fact and fiction. It was something like 70% fact 30% dramatization/romantization, including a major Shu bias. This bias was due to the time period that LGZ lived in and the court politics that revered Liu Bei and his forces. Historically, Lu Bu was talented but no where near as he was in the Novel, his powering up was just something LGZ did for the novel. In the end, RTK is still a brilliant book, but if you want to find more historically accurate/unbiased account; look to San Guo Zhi.
Gau

Post by Gau »

Black Fang wrote:So far the only people that can possibly teleport are those with TRUE runes. We know of Leknaat, Luc, Neclord, Sasarai and Yuber, all bearers of true runes.
Sarah from Suiko 3 could also teleport, and she didn't bear a true rune.

Anyways, back to topic.

First, the arrowheads of today are deadly, they'll tear you a new one. But ones of medieval times were not so bad. They would hurt, weaken you and slow you down, but unless one punctured your heart or possibly your throat you wouldn't die very quick. Also, until the Longbow and Crossbow were introduced, Knight's armor was effective at stopping omst arrows. Their invention helped usher in the end of wearing heavy Knight's armor, because any commoner with a Longbow hiding in the trees or behind a bush could kill you. Although im not sure what kind of bows they WERE using, Luca was wearing some pretty heavy armor, probably due to weight not being a factor because he's so strong already.

Also, about vital organs, on the field of battle the only wound that matters is a punctured heard or a cut throat. Otherwise, you can still keep on fighting even if you know you're going to die with the proper determination, and Luca definetely had the drive that's neccesary to keep going. Even if a vital organ like your liver is critically injured, you won't die right away, and most arteries can be tied off/tourniquetted atleast temporarily so you won't bleed to death for awhile.
Blackhand jr

Post by Blackhand jr »

Clangeddin wrote:I think you're just taking gameplay issues and making 'em elements of plot-line...

Of course, Luca was strong, but thats because he's the boss and he fights alone... that happens for everygame, if he would have joined your party u think he'd have had 6000 hp??? Hell no... -__-''
The same was for Garr of Breath of Fire 3, if u think about it...
I say this because I think there are a lot more stronger characters than Luca Blight, man u truly believe that Luca Blight could have done away Yuber like he did with Selon Jee??? Mmmmm.... I think that in that case it wouldn't have been Riou to have put end to Luca's life....

A stronger boss in gameplay doesn't mean a stronger boss in storyline at all... Take Neclord for example... he's a wimp compared to the Rock Golem u encounter before but u seriously think that in the storyline that Golem is stronger than Neclord???
It took 3 party's lots of arrowns a one on one duel, and a stratgey to kill Luca Blight. Sure part of it's gameplay, but the 3 party part, arrows, duel that was all plot-line. Could Luca take on Yuber? Proboly. Hugo beat him after all, but Yuber's true rune will "save" him (well more like itself). I think they had Riou finish Luca to evalte his leader/hero status.

As for Neclord. That's true. But bedore you got the Star Dragon Sword you could never kill him.
Gau

Post by Gau »

I don't think Yuber ever uses his full power unless he actually wishes todo so, or his survival might depend on it, especially in the role of a mercenary of sorts with no vested interest except chaos. Unleashing the full power of a True Rune could possibly be dangerous to its bearer, or at least have a draining effect.

In Suiko 3, outside of Chisha village Yuber dueled Hugo, and slaughtered him. Yuber SAID he was only using 10%(?) of his power, but we are unable to tell if he is being completely honest.

You can and will beat Yuber at different times in the story but I don't know if he's using his full power, and its not 1on1.

I don't think anyone lacking the power of a True Rune would stand a chance against Yuber 1on1, including Luca Blight.
Blackhand jr

Post by Blackhand jr »

Yuber did get beat at the end, and was about to die. Looked like he didn't care much if he died either.

Besides it took an army to beat Luca. While I think Yuber would win becuase of his true rune, Luca could at least cuase a draw.