Heroes' Dads and Role Models

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Heroes' Dads and Role Models

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I recently posted about the heroes moms, which lead me to start thinking about there dad's or significant male role model at the very a least. Its kind of cool, first of them where pretty BA Warriors and leaders and second all had some hand direct or indirect in the shaping of the hero. You can look at their bio's in the character section, but this how i divided it up.
Here is the break down:

Suiko1: Tir--->Teo
Suiko2: Riou--->Genkaku
Suiko3:Hugo---> Flame Champ
Suiko4: Lalzo--->Glenn
Suiko5:Frey--->Ferid
SuikoT:Kyril--->Walter

All these men, obviously, are amazing in their own rights, but as i said they had a great in impacting each of the heroes and Suikoden stories themselves. I personally, would have loved to watch any of them actually fight and us them in a sweet boss battle. Many of them where called the greatest of their generations and countries and any would make for a fine role model. But these men some times go unappreciated for much they impacted thieir "successors" shall i call them. So really i just wanted to say their awesome and I wish they were more involved in the games in direct ways...lol
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Chaco

Re: Heroes' Dads and Role Models

Post by Chaco »

Suiko1: Tir--->Teo
Suiko2: Riou--->Genkaku
Suiko3:Hugo---> Flame Champ
Suiko5:Frey--->Ferid
SuikoT:Kyril--->Walter
The heros almost have mother figures, and they always seem to be bad ones, except one, Lucia.

Suiko1: Tir---> Sonya <Teo and her had a thing goin' but she wasn't very nice after Tir killed him>
Suiko2: Riou--->Leona <A total Drunk, I saw Leona as motherly to him anyway, Rina the same, she's a slut though>
Suiko3:Hugo---> Lucia <Awesome mother :D>
Suiko4: Lalzo--->Katarina <Again, she isn't very nice in my opinon>
Suiko5:Frey--->Queen <Droven crazy by Sun Rune, she was good before though>
SuikoT:Kyril--->Seneca <More of a big sister>
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

As far as I know, all the male role models die. Am I right? I haven't played all the games yet, so...
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, and the sons take over their roles and become the "man of the house". Since every Suikoden seems to be a coming of age a story in that regard.

Although Suikoden III is a bit different and I'm not sure how much Hugo looked up to the Flame Champion. I haven't played it in a while though. I know Thomas' father never dies. But he's not much of a role model.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Although Suikoden III is a bit different and I'm not sure how much Hugo looked up to the Flame Champion. I haven't played it in a while though. I know Thomas' father never dies. But he's not much of a role model.
Hugos role modle is Sgt. Joe IMO. Sgt. Joe is like a father to him, and joe was there for him until he felt Hugo no longer needed him.

Thomases role modle is maybe Sebastian? Although I don't think he's much of a role model either.
-Chaco
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Chaco wrote:
Hugos role modle is Sgt. Joe IMO. Sgt. Joe is like a father to him, and joe was there for him until he felt Hugo no longer needed him.

Thomases role modle is maybe Sebastian? Although I don't think he's much of a role model either.
Perhaps a clarifier, a boy can have both a father-figure in his life as well as hero figure (an athlete, celebraty, teacher, etc..) . they're not always the one in same. In Hugo's case his father-figure was more realistically sgt joe, in that he was the older man who protected him, watched out for him, taught him lessons about life, etc...Where as the FC was hugo's role model or hero figure. Since he was the man, Hugo looked up to, idolized, wanted to be like, looked to for strength and courage..etc...Hugo was fortunate to have two strong men in his life to model after.

As for Thomas, he really didn't have any at the time of this game.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

suiko2fan2 wrote:
For Lazlo, wouldn't it be Lino instead? Glenn, although play quite a dominant role in the beginning, for the rest of the game, Lino acts as the father figure for Lazlo, I think. (not to mention that he maybe indeed is Lazlo's father).
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Kasumi14 wrote:
suiko2fan2 wrote:
For Lazlo, wouldn't it be Lino instead? Glenn, although play quite a dominant role in the beginning, for the rest of the game, Lino acts as the father figure for Lazlo, I think. (not to mention that he maybe indeed is Lazlo's father).
The point that suiko2fan2 is making is about the characters' lives as a whole. Teo, Genkaku, and Ferid all die early on just like Glenn. The point is that they were role models for the heroes for most of their lives (which is always what we don't see in the games: their formative years).
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

In Hugo's case his father-figure was more realistically sgt joe, in that he was the older man who protected him, watched out for him, taught him lessons about life, etc...
I agree with this.
Lino acts as the father figure for Lazlo, I think. (not to mention that he maybe indeed is Lazlo's father).
Lino IS Lazlo's Father. So it makes sense he would want to act Fatherly to Lazlo.
-Chaco
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Lino ACTS like one, but that does not make him his father figure. A father figure is the person someone looks upto for their childhood and adolescent life. Teo is both Tir's father AND father figure. Genkaku is the same for Riou. Ferid the same for Frey. Lazlo on the other hand had no actual father, but spent his childhood and adolescence in the military training. He would of course look up to and respect Glenn as a father. Lino may actually BE his father, but that has nothing to do with who he looked upto during his childhood. He obviously looked up to someone, and I SEVERELY doubt it was Snowe's father.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lino IS Lazlo's Father. So it makes sense he would want to act Fatherly to Lazlo.
But they're not aware of that in S IV.

@Janus: But Lino pretty much leads Lazlo in S IV, so he takes over the role of Glen.
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

And Lazlo didn't know Glenn until late in his teen, since he didn't join millitary until in his teens.
Lazlo on the other hand had no actual father, but spent his childhood and adolescence in the military training.
In Tactics we see that in his childhood he hasn't joined military yet (at the very beginning of Tactics), which would make Glenn his fatherly figure for only a few years...So Lino could fit into this description too.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Kasumi14 wrote:And Lazlo didn't know Glenn until late in his teen, since he didn't join millitary until in his teens.
Lazlo on the other hand had no actual father, but spent his childhood and adolescence in the military training.
In Tactics we see that in his childhood he hasn't joined military yet (at the very beginning of Tactics), which would make Glenn his fatherly figure for only a few years...So Lino could fit into this description too.
I am not sure that Lazlo's role model of Lino or Glenn really warrants so much debate. Both were influential on a young Lazlo. Glenn you could say was his 1st real male role model but then Glenn died, which makes Glenn just like the other heroes role models: Teo, Ferid, Walter and etc... Lino you could say filled that spot in Lazlo's life after the fact of Glenn's death; considering the 2 didn't meet until after Glenn's Death. The fact that Lino and Lalzo are father and son is mostly a secondary issue in their relationship, because it was not revealed until well after the formation of their friendship.

Best Suiko FanFic:
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Antimatzist wrote:
But they're not aware of that in S IV.

@Janus: But Lino pretty much leads Lazlo in S IV, so he takes over the role of Glen.
I would say thats a completely incorrect statement. Lazlo leads an entire army, where as Lino is nothing but a soldier after he gives up his claim to kingship of Obel. Lazlo may take advice from Lino, but Tir took advice from Mathui and Viktor, Riou took advice from Shu and Flik, Hugo took advice from Geddoe, Ceazar, Sebestian, Jimba and any number of other characters. Just because you follow someones advice does not mean they lead you.
Kasumi14 wrote:And Lazlo didn't know Glenn until late in his teen, since he didn't join millitary until in his teens.
I disagree, how many young kids do you see patrolling the streets sword in hand looking to kill animals to help the city? I always assumed furball patrol was simply part of the beginning stages of the training done in Razril
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I would say thats a completely incorrect statement. Lazlo leads an entire army, where as Lino is nothing but a soldier after he gives up his claim to kingship of Obel. Lazlo may take advice from Lino, but Tir took advice from Mathui and Viktor, Riou took advice from Shu and Flik, Hugo took advice from Geddoe, Ceazar, Sebestian, Jimba and any number of other characters. Just because you follow someones advice does not mean they lead you
Lino isnt jst a normal Soldier, he's a KING, even though not technically in Sui IV, but just because you give up your crown doesn't make other people respect you less. Lino just treats Lazlo as his son, which pretty much make shim a father role. Or have you seen Shu brabbling about Riou how much he reminds him of his own son? No? Me neither.
I disagree, how many young kids do you see patrolling the streets sword in hand looking to kill animals to help the city? I always assumed furball patrol was simply part of the beginning stages of the training done in Razril
I guess that's right, but as a novice, you don't have any contact to the highest commander in the army, so I doubt Lazlo had personal contact with Glen. So he wasn't a father image from the beginning, more some sort of idol, which could have been just anyone.

EDIT: Of course this all depends on your image of what a father should be. Everyone has different connotations, so there isn't a real wrong or right.