Heroes' Dads and Role Models

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Iesous

Re: Heroes' Dads and Role Models

Post by Iesous »

but as a novice, you don't have any contact to the highest commander in the army, so I doubt Lazlo had personal contact with Glen. So he wasn't a father image from the beginning, more some sort of idol, which could have been just anyone.
What anyone doubts has little to do with the game. What has more to do with the game is the dialogue that takes place in the game. I just played through the opening portion of the game in the past week. Glen definitely has a deeper relationship with Lazlo than just commander-soldier.

I also wonder how you come to the notion that Lazlo idolizes Glen when Lazlo never speaks. Once again, all we have to go by is what Glen (and maybe Katarina later, I don't remember) says to Lazlo and to others about Lazlo. It makes more sense to say that Glen idolizes Lazlo, which makes absolutely no sense (which is entirely the point).
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I also wonder how you come to the notion that Lazlo idolizes Glen when Lazlo never speaks.
If thats your point this topic is senseless, as most of the protagonists don't speak. The Prince never says he idolizes his father, but we pretty much can guess it, right?
Glen definitely has a deeper relationship with Lazlo than just commander-soldier.
But not when Lazlo has just joined the Marines.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

My point is that there is zero evidence that Lazlo idolizes Glen. There is also zero evidence toward your claim that Glen never had personal contact with Lazlo until later in his training. If someone has the makings of a great soldier and ship captain, which sounds like what people were saying about Lazlo early on, then there's no reason why the commander shouldn't take an interest in him, especially if the student in question has no family and is forced to sleep in a small room next to the kitchen. Your argument is based on nothing more than assumption.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

If someone has the makings of a great soldier and ship captain
Which you OF COURSE know when he just became a Knight-Apprentice. You know IMMEDIATELY that he'll be a great leader.
My point is that there is zero evidence that Lazlo idolizes Glen.
Well, I guess every knight idolized Glen, he seemed to be a pretty good leader.
Your argument is based on nothing more than assumption.
Sorry, I'll phone Lazlo the next time before I talk about him. Ooops, it's just a game and we have to use our fantasy to fill "plotholes" (it isn't even a plothole) like these.

I guess you gonna write "Your arguments are all based on assumption" on every topic about Pesmerga, Jeane and Viki now, don't you?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

According to Gensopedia, Glen had tried to get Lazlo emancipated from the Vingerhuts and adopted into the Reinbach family, so one may consider that to be fatherly feelings, I suppose. (Although, I wonder if that was really a wise thought. X_X)

I agree, though, that both Glen and Lino were father-figures to Lazlo respectively.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Less venom in your posts guys or I'm gonna lock the fark out of this thread.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I'm still unclear on what makes everyone think Lino was a father figure to Lazlo. How Lino treats him and his speech about him reminding him of his own son does not qualify him as a father figure, just a lonely dad. That has to do with Lino's internal characterization and has nothing truly to do with how LAZLO views him. A father figure comes down to how the child views the man in his life.

I'd also like to point out that no one has put forward an idea that any of the other heroes have father figures within the army. It seems to me most of you guys are stuck on the fact that Lino is in fact Lazlo's father, and seem to think that is the only necessary qualification.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

@Janus: But Lino pretty much leads Lazlo and, well, prepares him to be a leader. he gives him advice, tells him to make friends on all islands... Lino pretty much cares for Lazlo like, well, maybe a father.

And that no other Hero has a father figure... I think Georg tries to play a father-role for the prince, at least a tiny bit.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

And Lino tries as well, but that doesnt make him a father figure. From the interactions between Glen and Lazlo, it should be obvious they are more then commander to subordinate.

And sure Lino tries to help Lazlo and gives him advice, but so did Mathui and Viktor to Tir, Flik Viktor Apple and Shu to Riou, just about every plot character to the Flame Champion, and George Sialeeds and (i cannot remember their strategists name) to Frey. Essentially, Lino acted in the same Capacity of Flik or Viktor, but he's a father figure while they are not?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think it's rather difficult to determine what/whoe xactly fulfills the role of a father:

1) They heros are in their adolescence. What do fathers do then? Going to baseball-matches together? I think they try everything so their son can stand on his own legs.. (I hope this saying exists on English :D)
2) The heros have often lost a lot of things in their past, so get sympathy from everywhere and of course, everybody cares for them. So it's difficult to pinpoint one special person.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Unless another Suikoden game comes out with the game's heros in it, where they say "this person was the fatherly figure in my life!" we can only assume who it was they viewed as a role model.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Except Hugo is not the hero of Suiko4. Actually Thomas is the Tenkai Star. And if you wanna say whoever gets the Flame Rune is the hero of the story, then it could be Hugo, or Geddoe or Chris.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

As for Thomas, he really didn't have any at the time of this game.
Wow poor Thomas. He's kinda a grunt to his dad, isn't he?
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.