The Tenkai Heroes' Mothers all dead

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Belcoot4

Re: The Tenkai Heroes' Mothers all dead

Post by Belcoot4 »

I think the creators like to have the Tenkai to either be motherless or parentless because it promotes a form of toughness. Just about anybody, including myself, who grows up with both parents all their lives are emotionaly stable and have a need to cling to that motherly figure. People who grow up with no mother or no parents are introduced to the real world very early and become tough through all of their trials and tribulations. Whether its that they had a tough father or just missed the love that a mother naturaly gives for her childeren. Hugo although not a tenkai he is a hero and coming from a tribal culture his mindset is slightly different. Thats also due to the fact that Lucia lost her father which ultimatley made her tougher in the end.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

suiko2fan2 wrote:
Black knight overlord wrote:No, if Hugo is your Tenkai star in S3, his mom(Lucia) is still alive.

Hugo is a Tensyo star, whether he the main hero (flame champion) or not, that fact does not change. i was rather specific in my point all Tenkai stars, and in 3 that is Thomas, and his mommy died before the start of the events in 3, as his flashbacks point out

Also Hugo being the leader isen't cannon its just what the Manga picked the manga even states that they changed some events from the game.

Any 3 of them could be the hero (Though for plot sake i hope it defults to Hugo in the future instead of being overly vague about the Flame Champion)

Isen't Chris' and assumably Geddeo's mother also dead? Unless some later plot point reveals that she is somehow immortal.

I do think its kinda funny that Yohn is the only mother thats still alive during the entire series.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, Geddoe is 112 or so years old, so it's pretty safe to assume that his mother is dead. :)

I'm pretty sure the manga states that Chris' mom is dead as well. As you said, the manga did change some things, but the fact that she doesn't appear at all in the game or in Chris' mansion would lead me to believe that she is actually dead in the game.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Its kind of JRPG tradition. I've noticed in every JRPG i've been played (except Chrono Cross) the main hero always does not have a mother. Either killed, lost or not mentioned at all.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Chrono Trigger is also an exception. In FF7, Cloud's mother is alive in the beginning, but dies later on so I'm not sure if that counts. Either way, their fathers are all dead, even in those cases. I'm kind of annoyed with this J-RPG tradition.

Can anyone think of a J-RPG where both parents of the hero are alive and don't die in the story? Or even if they do die, I can't recall a single hero with both parents alive in the beginning.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Blutigengel wrote:Chrono Trigger is also an exception. In FF7, Cloud's mother is alive in the beginning, but dies later on so I'm not sure if that counts. Either way, their fathers are all dead, even in those cases. I'm kind of annoyed with this J-RPG tradition.

Can anyone think of a J-RPG where both parents of the hero are alive and don't die in the story? Or even if they do die, I can't recall a single hero with both parents alive in the beginning.
In FF7 clouds mother is dead. You do see her in a flashback though.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Ohh, that's right! I thought she died midway through, but in fact it shows the flashback with her alive and then the one where she dies later, sorry. It's been awhile since I've replayed VII.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Legend of Legaia
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Never played that one, but good to know that one exists!
JanusThePaladin

Though, your father is crippled, and you begin the game thinking your mother is dead but find her later in the game. the 2 other characters that travel with you are orphans tho, so....
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, crippled and lost are still alive, so that's a start!

I'm assuming the orphan fetish stems from the fact that many protagonists are 14-16 and having parents would certainly hinder their adventures. God forbid they make an adult protagonist which would solve that issue...
JanusThePaladin

actually, one of them is a martial arts master. i think hes like 23 or something. its a really good game. if you havent played it yet, i would suggest you do so.
Ancient Cheesecake

Post by Ancient Cheesecake »

Skies of Arcadia. The male lead's parents survive throughout the entire gamer and his dad is even there to "help" at the last battle. That is, stand around outside the final dungeon and give encouragement.
No offense intended.

Dumb dumb Moira Brown
Dumbest chick in this whole dumb town

Dumber than old king kong
Uglier than a junk yard dog

I set off a nuke to kill you
But fate was just too damn cruel
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

veriaqa wrote:Its kind of JRPG tradition. I've noticed in every JRPG i've been played (except Chrono Cross) the main hero always does not have a mother. Either killed, lost or not mentioned at all.
In Fire Emblem 7, Eliwood's mother lives throughout the game and it is his father who dies instead. Granted it's a SRPG, but I would consider it to be in the same category, personally.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Ooh, just thought of another game where the main character has living parents: Earthbound. The mother lives at home (and does not die) while the father is off working somewhere and supports you over the phone and sends you money. Now that I'm older I figure that he is not working, but having an affair, lol. I miss that game.