The Tenkai Heroes' Mothers all dead

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Runemaster

Re: The Tenkai Heroes' Mothers all dead

Post by Runemaster »

It's a requirement. Tenkais must have their mothers killed before they become heroes.

No, just kidding.^__^
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Ben_ZeN

Post by Ben_ZeN »

Belcoot4 wrote:no to rain on the party because the point is almost completly accurate. Thats true the mothers of the first 2 suikodens are never mentioned. And your right Thomas' mother did die sometime, but u said they die sometime before they get a rune. Thomas does not get any rune, i mean unless you're talking about one good ol Jeane can hook ya up with.
Tir's mother is only mentioned by Gremio or Teo, can't exactly remember which, stating that she died shortly after giving birth to Tir and that Gremio took care of him ever since.

The fact that Riou's parents might still be alive is something I hadn't even thought about yet lol. Interesting.
"All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

If you guys want to pull this to an even further extreme, you may want to aknowledge that fact that just about every hero (excluding Hugo) throughout the Suikoden Series seems to lack a mother. Not just Tir, Riou, Thomas, Chris, Geddoe, Lazlo, or the Prince. But also, Viktor, Flik (when you return to the warriors village he doesnt even have any family), Ted, Nanami, Ayla, Kahn, and Snowe just to name a few.

Suikoden 3 of course is the exception to every rule, which leads me to believe the original team was planning to go another direction with Suikoden.
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

I would also say that their father's/father figures have a high mortality rate as well (occuring sometime in the game or prior), not a hundred percent. Thomas being the main exception, though his father is likely to have minimum contact with him anyways. Tenkai's seemed to be denied the emotional support of their parents though much of their trials. I supposed it is to make them seem stronger or more tragic perhaps.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Has anyone ever tried to match this "Parents/Mother is dead" theory with the original Tenkai Star?

Song Jiang's history might be the direct influence over why most Tenkai Stars have been most especially forgiving, so wouldn't it be interesting to see if either the historical or fictional version of the character has other broad influences over the series heroes.
Formerly known as: Gothann
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

So all of the tenkai star moms are dead with maybe the exception of Riou. Also all of there fathers were high-ranking officials, generals and kings, maybe with the exception of Riou again. They share that similarity aswell.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
JanusThePaladin

Only in Riou his father figure was also a former high ranking soldier. Genkaku is definitely a father figure, regardless of the fact they call him Grandpa.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

I wonder why they call Genkaku as grandpa, how old was he when he adopted Riou and Nanami anyway?

Also, being mother-less is very typical in many RPGs. There are so many side characters who has no mother as well (for example Luca).

It's just because having no mother is considered to be tragic and people love tragic characters.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
EternalOnslaught

JanusThePaladin wrote:Only in Riou his father figure was also a former high ranking soldier. Genkaku is definitely a father figure, regardless of the fact they call him Grandpa.
What do you mean only Riou? Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but every Tenkai star had a father whom was important to thier nation. I do want to see what will become of the next Tenkai star mom, dead or alive.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

EternalOnslaught wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:Only in Riou his father figure was also a former high ranking soldier. Genkaku is definitely a father figure, regardless of the fact they call him Grandpa.
What do you mean only Riou? Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but every Tenkai star had a father whom was important to thier nation. I do want to see what will become of the next Tenkai star mom, dead or alive.

I talked about there father relation in another thread

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =20&t=9755
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
JanusThePaladin

EternalOnslaught wrote:
Only in Riou is a phrase used to discern that i am talking specifically about Riou, as you stated that Riou was the exception to that rule. I'd also like to point out that even though its possible Riou has parents somewhere (unlikely) it doesnt change the fact that for all intents and purposes he has no mother.
EternalOnslaught

I'm not trying to contradict you. But technically he does have one, wheather she is alive no one knows. If you really want to split hairs we could've seen her already. Maybe not as a SoD but some random villager. We can all assume and say his mom is dead, just because her biological son was a tenkai star.
Just like how every final boss is suppose to be against a true rune(who made that up anyway?) Ofcourse S1 and S4 was the exception.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

EternalOnslaught wrote:I'm not trying to contradict you. But technically he does have one, wheather she is alive no one knows.
If you're going to be that specific, everyone has a mother with the exception of Luc and Sasari, which is just a detail which, for all intents and purposes, we already know.
JanusThePaladin

EternalOnslaught wrote:I'm not trying to contradict you. But technically he does have one, wheather she is alive no one knows. If you really want to split hairs we could've seen her already. Maybe not as a SoD but some random villager. We can all assume and say his mom is dead, just because her biological son was a tenkai star.
Just like how every final boss is suppose to be against a true rune(who made that up anyway?) Ofcourse S1 and S4 was the exception.
I'm going to have to say that if 1/3 of a rule is incorrect, than it is not a rule.

And truthfully, he has no mother. He was raised by Genkaku, who called himself their grandpa, but we all know he was adopted by him. He has a father figure, but no mother figure. He has no mother, in that he has had no one in his entire life take on the role of maternal guardian. That is what it means not to have a mother. My mother died when i was a year old, for all intents and purposes, she is not my mother, and i do not see her as such on an emotional level. My mother is the woman who raised me from that point on. Riou does not have a woman who has raised him, and therefore has no mother.
WichitaQ

Post by WichitaQ »

the most interesting thing about all this is the fact that we know nothing about riou's real parents.

secondly, if i remember correctly, nanami is not riou's biological sister, right?
so, we don't even know who nanami's parents are too.

makes me really curious...