5 or 6 Great Imperial Generals?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
promethez

5 or 6 Great Imperial Generals?

Post by promethez »

Why do I keep seeing some people mention fo the 5 great imperial generials while some others mention of the six great imperial generals? As far as I know, there a 6.
Crowetron

Re: 5 or 6 Great Imperial Generals?

Post by Crowetron »

Georg Prime, aka #6, left the Scarlet Moon Empire sometime before Suikoden V. Between then until the fall of Scarlet Moon, they were stuck with just Kwanda, Milich, Kasim, Teo, and Sonya, also known as the Five Great Generals.

I think Toran now has six again, but I forget who exactly.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
promethez

Post by promethez »

arh... i kept having the idea that Valeria was one of the great imperial generals.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

She was.

Valeria alongside Camille and Kai joined Sonya, Kazim Hazil and Kwanda Rosman as the first group of Six Great Generals for newly formed Toran Republic.
promethez

Post by promethez »

oh so pior to the gate rune wars, so was just serving the Imperial Army but not as a great general, I kept having the idea that she was. strange...
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Given how awesome she was, I don't blame you.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Genoh

Post by Genoh »

Yeah, there were 6.

I always thought Ain Gide was one for some reason, but I was mistaken. I guess he was never promoted.

I think after the war, the six were:
Valeria, Kasumi, Kai, Kasim Hazil, Kwanda Rosman, and Sonya Shulen.

Of note (and I hope I'm not getting too off topic here), six seems to be an important number.

In Suikoden II there were six territories of Jowston:
Muse, Tinto, Matilda, Greenhill, Two River, and South Window

In Suikoden III, you had the Six Knights of Zexen (Chris Lightfellow, Salome, Borus, Percival, Leo, and Roland)

In Suikoden IV there were six friends among the Knights of Gaien Graduates
(Lazlo, Snowe, Tal, Kenneth, Jewel, and Paula)

In Suikoden V there were six Queen's Knights at the beginning of the game (Ferid, Galleon, Kyle, Miakis, Zahhak, and Alenia)
Crowley Reborn

Post by Crowley Reborn »

...not to mention the six you have in your party most the time (except the horrible suikoden 4...)...
Check out The Old Kingdom Ardänia series, starting with the first book, Vermillion Skies
http://www.facebook.com/prbison
http://www.facebook.com/vermillionskies1
kuroi_shinigami

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

So Georg leave the Scarlet moon before Suikoden V? I thought he joined the Scarlet moon after suikoden V but leave before Suikoden I start XD Well, it's not the first time I'm wrong anyway XD
Masked Bishop

Post by Masked Bishop »

Even though I generally don't enjoy promoting the resurrection of dead topics, I find it strange that nobody mentioned that Sonya Schulen was not originally one of the six Imperial Generals. Rather, she took the place of her mother, Kilawher Schulen, upon her death.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

The resurrection of dead topics is highly promoted on this board, especially to avoid duplicate topics.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I've got some questions concerning the generals, so I'm just placing this here...

Toran has 5 main regions: Arus, Gouran, Kunan, Senan, and Dana (Lorimar and the Dragon Knights' domain actually being autonomous regions, and Great Forest region being part of Gouran).
I can't remember region names being mentioned in the games, where do they come from?
We've met Kwanda in Gouran, Milich in Kunan, and Kasim in Senan. Are the great generals in charge of a specific region? (considering that they seem to have their main residences in Gregminster)
If yes, isn't Teo actually in charge of the Arus region (Gregminster)?
Who is in charge of the Dana region: Sonya or the missing sixth general?
I've always thought Sonya is exclusively in charge of Toran's waterways, so it must be the missing general, which in turn is the reason why Teo had to travel north. On the one hand, it's actually the Senan region where battles against Jowston take place, on the other hand, Teo razed Rokkaku, which is likely to be part of Dana.
I'm also curious about the distribution after the establishment of the republic, so if there is official information, please tell me.
And a final question: Is it mentioned somewhere, when exactly Camille became one of the six generals?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Camille is mentioned as being a Great General by a guy in Gregminster Palace in Suikoden 2. As for when she gets her promotion? Not sure.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Thanks! I didn't know that, it's quite surprising to me. It means she turned from a debt collector to lancing instructor to great general within less than 3 years, and before she reached the age of 20 (in the western system). I've read somewhere she's mentioned as general in S3, so I always assumed she became gr. general around the mid 60s.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Wolkendrache wrote:I've got some questions concerning the generals, so I'm just placing this here...

Toran has 5 main regions: Arus, Gouran, Kunan, Senan, and Dana (Lorimar and the Dragon Knights' domain actually being autonomous regions, and Great Forest region being part of Gouran).
Most sources state that the Gouran region stretches as far as the Great Forest Village, and does not include the great forest itself. I found one instance where the great forest is to "spread within Gouran," but it was only one mention, and besides that the Great Forest seems to be treated separately.
I can't remember region names being mentioned in the games, where do they come from?
Not all regions are mentioned in the game. Fore example, Arlus and Dana I don't think are mentioned at all within the game. I learned of those names for the first time in the Suikoden 1 official site (the Japanese one, of course). They used to have a world map which included the region names.
We've met Kwanda in Gouran, Milich in Kunan, and Kasim in Senan. Are the great generals in charge of a specific region? (considering that they seem to have their main residences in Gregminster)
If yes, isn't Teo actually in charge of the Arus region (Gregminster)?
Who is in charge of the Dana region: Sonya or the missing sixth general?
I've always thought Sonya is exclusively in charge of Toran's waterways, so it must be the missing general, which in turn is the reason why Teo had to travel north. On the one hand, it's actually the Senan region where battles against Jowston take place, on the other hand, Teo razed Rokkaku, which is likely to be part of Dana.
The encyclopedia doesn't provide much insight. In the page where it describes the structure of the Scarlet Moon Empire's government and military, it states each Great General is responsible for each region, but does not tell you which one. It also states how magistrates also exist who are selected by the great generals to govern the land in their stead. I suppose this can mean some unnamed magistrate may be governing areas that do not seem to have any defined great general presence.

Teo clearly was treated more of as a strike force without any particular land assigned for governance. He was always busy hunting some enemy, and otherwise stayed in Gregminster. The same is true with Sonya, who was assigned to guard the waterways close to Gregminster with her base being Shasarazade. Arlus itself had formidable protection anyhow, with folks like Ain Gide guarding the walls, the presence of the Imperial Guards, and even Barbarossa himself (along with Windy and her minions).

Rokakku is clearly outside what would be considered as the traditional territory of the Scarlet Moon Empire (or Toran) due to how it is outside the border that was guarded by Varkas when you visit in Suikoden 2. For that reason I surmise it is not part of Dana. Perhaps Dana is simply under the governance of some unnamed magistrate. Otherwise, because the only real town located in the region is Kirov, perhaps it is under the influence of Sonya. Kun To is a marchant who became successful due to trading he did on the lake, after all.
I'm also curious about the distribution after the establishment of the republic, so if there is official information, please tell me.
And a final question: Is it mentioned somewhere, when exactly Camille became one of the six generals?
Unfortunately there is no official information. However, Kwanda is the Commander in Chief of the Toran military, which probably means he is no longer holed up in Pannu Yakuta. Kasim's station is not clarified, but one can assume he can live nowhere other than the desert, so he is likely in Senan. Sonya is assigned as the head of the navy, so one can assume she is located in the same place. With Kai, it only mentions he is a martial arts instructor and general, and you basically have the same lackluster explanation for Camille, who is said to have become the spear instructor and general. No information on where they are stationed, but if they are instructing... it would seem they are located around Gregminster. In regards to Valeria, when you visit Toran during Suikoden 2, you are told hoe Valeria happens to be visiting from Pannu Yakuta castle, so it seems she is located in the great forest for whatever reason. As far as when Camille became of the six generals, there is no exact info, but one can assume she was named immediately after the formation of the republic...