Hellion

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Iku

Hellion

Post by Iku »

On my first few play throughs i also thought hellion was just another generic mage but on my recent play through i noticed that when you recruit her she says something to do with wanting to examine the hero's rune and not only that she mentions that she too has her own rune which gives her the power of "recall" or something like that, you then get the blinking mirror, but hellion comes with a mother earth rune, which although is a good rune doesnt live up to what she said and at the end of the game she becomes the toran republic's seer! so i presume she has another and it is this rune which allowed her to maybe be the creator of the blinking mirror, if this is the case then not only is she much more powerful then id earlier thought she has potential to be a true rune bearer aswell as a recurring character! prehaps its her who is the bearer of the true rune governing time and space and not viki like we've all been thinking! admittiedly she hasnt been on a game since the first one so its kinda unlikely she'll ever appear again but she has quite alot of potential for a character most people never look twice at!
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Vermillion.Twilight

Re: Hellion

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

I dont think she has a true rune. She just strikes me as a female Crowley, gaining powers of a true rune bearer through hard work and research.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I put forth a theory years back about the Blinking Mirror actually being a true rune. Since the sovereign rune could be embedded in a sword, and the night rune can BE a sword, i thought it possibly that the "true blinking rune" may infact be a simple mirror. It has to be mighty powerful to teleport characters from one location to another after all. And it could be the mother of the blinking runes that you sometimes have the luck of finding. Also, it was around 150 years back or however long ago s4 was. Hellion struck me as the Rune's keeper, but not its bearer, and was refferring do this when talking with McDohl.

I cant remember exactly why everyone thought this theory didnt warrant talking about, but i do believe they thought i was wrong....
Vermillion.Twilight

JanusThePaladin wrote:I put forth a theory years back about the Blinking Mirror actually being a true rune. Since the sovereign rune could be embedded in a sword, and the night rune can BE a sword, i thought it possibly that the "true blinking rune" may infact be a simple mirror. It has to be mighty powerful to teleport characters from one location to another after all. And it could be the mother of the blinking runes that you sometimes have the luck of finding. Also, it was around 150 years back or however long ago s4 was. Hellion struck me as the Rune's keeper, but not its bearer, and was refferring do this when talking with McDohl.

I cant remember exactly why everyone thought this theory didnt warrant talking about, but i do believe they thought i was wrong....
Its not a true rune
All it seems to be is a blinking rune embedded into a mirror.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

We know that Blinking Runes alone are not enough to fully perform the teleportation roles provided by Viki and the Blinking Mirror. We had a free one given in Suikoden II, and the bearer definitely do not have the power to do anything besides in-battle spells.

There is no confirmation either way, so it's plausible for the Mirror to either bear or be the manifestation of a Rune -- True or not -- but who knows for sure.

Hellion's probably the only source of the Mirror who stands out as unexplained among the 5 games. In the others, you either obtain it from Viki herself or handed down through a middleperson (like Lepant).
Vermillion.Twilight

patapi wrote:We know that Blinking Runes alone are not enough to fully perform the teleportation roles provided by Viki and the Blinking Mirror. We had a free one given in Suikoden II, and the bearer definitely do not have the power to do anything besides in-battle spells.

There is no confirmation either way, so it's plausible for the Mirror to either bear or be the manifestation of a Rune -- True or not -- but who knows for sure.

Hellion's probably the only source of the Mirror who stands out as unexplained among the 5 games. In the others, you either obtain it from Viki herself or handed down through a middleperson (like Lepant).

If you equip a blinking rune...you can teleport monsters in battle
Now if you can teleport things in battle, you can also do it out of battle.
Logically that means you have teleportation powers to some degree

If you put a blinking rune in a mirror, you would have to assume the mirror would have teleportation properties you could manipulate.
Quing

Post by Quing »

You do have to recognize, however, that you can't teleport your party back and forth with just a blinking rune, and yet Viki and the Blinking Mirror can. True, you can teleport things to some degree, but that doesn't make the idea that the Blinking Mirror is the true Blinking Rune any less likely. Normal fire runes can create fire, but not at the level of the True Fire Rune. But actually, rather than the Blinking Mirror being a true rune, I think that it's more likely that it is one half of the true rune with the other half owned by Viki. They both have better control over teleportation than normal blinking runes do. Mere speculation, however.
Vermillion.Twilight

Quing wrote:You do have to recognize, however, that you can't teleport your party back and forth with just a blinking rune, and yet Viki and the Blinking Mirror can. True, you can teleport things to some degree, but that doesn't make the idea that the Blinking Mirror is the true Blinking Rune any less likely. Normal fire runes can create fire, but not at the level of the True Fire Rune. But actually, rather than the Blinking Mirror being a true rune, I think that it's more likely that it is one half of the true rune with the other half owned by Viki. They both have better control over teleportation than normal blinking runes do. Mere speculation, however.
Its already been cleared up

Viki has no true rune.

Another funny note you need to "Recognize"

If you give say...Viktor the True fire rune
And give Luc a regular fire rune (Not even rage)

Luc can do more dmg casting lower fire spells
Then Viktor casting the highest levels.

Viki as we all know is a expert mage. Thus she has control over the blinking rune to a higher degree. If my memory serves me correctly
Sarah was able to do the same things Viki does without any true runes.

I think the blinking rune, blinking mirror are just spin offs of some true rune we havint seen. Not a "True Blinking rune" exactly just something else.

Much like
Star
Darkness
Blue Gate

Are just weaker versions of true runes.
JanusThePaladin

of course no one can be right other than you right?

I do not remember hearing anywhere that Viki has been said NOT to possess a true rune, only that Jeane does not.

Granted continued use of a rune will give the controller more ability with it, and granted Sarah did teleport herself and company about, but Viki had the power not only to teleport a group of 4 people, but also to move atleast 5 battleships along with all the people on them. That is more than mere familiarity. And if Viki were an uber powerful mage, her magic stats would be atleast comparable to those of other mages like Warlock, Ted, and Jeane, all featured in the same game, but all 3 of these outrank Viki by a large margin.

I am not saying I am right, but i am saying you have to accept it as a possibility until Konami says otherwise.
Vermillion.Twilight

JanusThePaladin wrote:of course no one can be right other than you right?

I do not remember hearing anywhere that Viki has been said NOT to possess a true rune, only that Jeane does not.

Granted continued use of a rune will give the controller more ability with it, and granted Sarah did teleport herself and company about, but Viki had the power not only to teleport a group of 4 people, but also to move atleast 5 battleships along with all the people on them. That is more than mere familiarity. And if Viki were an uber powerful mage, her magic stats would be atleast comparable to those of other mages like Warlock, Ted, and Jeane, all featured in the same game, but all 3 of these outrank Viki by a large margin.

I am not saying I am right, but i am saying you have to accept it as a possibility until Konami says otherwise.

Well I have 5 games backing up my claim that Viki has no true rune. Sarah teleported not only herself but entire armies from another dimension. If your gonna base Viki having a true rune on anything it would have to be timetravel...since many characters can teleport. And even that is fishy since a cave in S1 could even time travel.

Also Viki is not only comparable she is better then 95% of all other Suikoden mages.
Quing

Post by Quing »

Ah, but you see, you have five games which don't say much conclusive about Viki either way. I don't see how that supports the idea that she has no true rune. You likewise spend a fair amount of time thinking that Geddoe has no true rune. And as for summoning monsters from another dimension, that falls under the power of the offshoots of the Gate Rune, not under the blinking rune. Not that I'm necessarily right, but you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss these things.
JanusThePaladin

The time travel didnt seem to me to be done by a cave, but through the powers of the Zodiac sword, which is a True Rune. So again, i'd say you have to accept it as a possibility.
Vermillion.Twilight

Vermillion.Twilight wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:of course no one can be right other than you right?

Well I have 5 games backing up my claim that Viki has no true rune. Sarah teleported not only herself but entire armies from another dimension. If your gonna base Viki having a true rune on anything it would have to be timetravel...since many characters can teleport. And even that is fishy since a cave in S1 could even time travel.

Also Viki is not only comparable she is better then 95% of all other Suikoden mages.

Well I carried the torch on this one a long time...but honestly if she had a true rune, it would have came out in S3 for sure.

And Geddoe was pretty obvious...and when it was war time his rune came out.
Quing

Post by Quing »

See, I think that the fact that by Suikoden III, Viki had been a mysterious character in three games made her an asset to Konami in that as long as they don't say whether she has a true rune or not, they can continue to have fans attempting to ascertain what her deal is from clues, because she's certainly not normal (normal people do not seem to travel through time, and they certainly don't appear in every numbered game in the series with little explained about their background). As such, revealing if Viki has a true rune in Suikoden III would be counterproductive. I think it's entirely likely that even the people at Konami don't know if Viki has a true rune and won't decide until they make the game that reveals it (probably the last game in the series).
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

Viki's main role really seems to be in breaking the 4th wall and giving a sense of continuity to the players. Why? Well, not only does Viki hop around through time, but she seems to do it in the same order than we the players do. She seems to experience the events of the games in the order of the video game release dates as opposed to their Suikoden timeline dates. I'm sure we could try to affix a more substantial reason as to why, but really it's so that we feel that someone is traveling alongside us from game to game - she recognizes characters we recognize, regardless of the timeline inconsistencies. If one wanted to apply some kind of reasoning, maybe an explanation would be that whatever her power/rune/ability is, it has a built-in "safety system" of rendering the user forgetful and confused the more they use it, perhaps so that they can't intentionally alter the timeline. Of course, you could argue that Viki certainly DOES play a major role in the timeline, but certainly she's not really intentionally altering it, as she seems fairly unaware of her time-shifting in the first place.

Now to tie back into the original question about Hellion. Perhaps Hellion has the mirror because she IS Viki. I don't really believe it myself, but it could be possible that after all her journeying, Viki settles in the "past" and then lives her life onward as Hellion (Viki also seems to be the only character with multiple instances and multiple stars). Or it could be that the mirror itself represents an ontological paradox, where Viki came from the future, warped around tons and eventually left the mirror with Hellion, who kept it until it was then picked up by Viki and warped around, etc.
Erk in danger!