Lazlo

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Lazlo

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Well, it is a long time afterward and since there really wasn't any witnesses to Lazlo's duel, it's easy to see how the facts could have gotten confused.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

Doesn't Chisato's play just show Flare driving off Brandeau, not killing him...? From what we know in S4, Flare has been patrolling the waters around Obel and dealing with pirates for years, so she probably DID have some dealings with Brandeau at some point.
Erk in danger!
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

1. connecting Lazlo with the Obel Royalty DID NOT made Suikoden IV better

- while i was in the part when Lino handed the golden thingamajigy to Lazlo, i said hey, this King is not so Kingly, handing his prized seal to someone he barely knew and worse he's stepping out and letting Lazlo lead the army that would eventually liberate his kingdom. In short it kinda made Lino's resolve to fight the kooluk fairly weak. at that point of the game the only valid reason why Lino would do such a thing is because of Elenor's meddling. Kinda like how Shu nominated the adoptive son of Genkaku as the leader of the liberation army.

2. IMO, connecting Lazlo with the Obel Royalty would be soOOOO cliched

- this is how it appeared to me, that's why it became a split decision whether or not to make Lazlo an official heir to the Obel Kingdom or not. The result was a half-baked intending to be mysterious plot. If the writer would put up Lazlo as an official heir (or at least made some concrete evidences) Lino would not have appeared as what i perceived him to be. But in effect, this would make the game sound so cliched, as most protagonist of the Suikoden Series has some prestiguous background. If the writer did not leave any traces of connection between Lazlo and the Obel Family, then it would have been a bigger problem why Lazlo leaded the army instead of Lino.

Leave some clues, hide some infos

very indecisive which i did not like

i would'v preferred if they pursued one decision and stuck with it through to the end
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

It Is cliche! But as this Is a Suikoden Episode, the kids you play aint some high notched super royals (accept in SV and there....you pretty much have to carve the freaking kingdom out again from some badass villians)

Also...the deal Is they are not like "knowing" so He aint "The royal son" in the end like they would be in ALL OTHER RPGS's! Hehe.

A friend of mine himself was 100% sure Gao was the son of Lino and when I said Lazlo Is he didnt believe It.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

mind you each protagonist of the series have an impressive background
(except S3 where it could be debated that all 3 candidates may have valid outstanding background)

by impressive i meant in terms of military or political background

1. Suiko 1 - son of a great General Teo McDohl
2. Suiko 2 - adopted and personally trained by the War Hero Genkaku
3. Suiko 3 - Chris and Geddoe have ties to the late Flame Champion and Hugo is an upcoming chief of Karaya
4. Suiko 4 - in debate as it is implie weakly
5. Suiko 5 - Crowned Prince, no arguments in that

it would be very pleasing to assume that Lazlo may have some royal blood as to complete and satisfy the pattern of the protagonists

:D
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the suggestions that Lazlo is Lino's son are not "weak" by any means. what ties it together is when Lazlo meets his mother in the RoP-"dream"-world.
Genoh

Post by Genoh »

It's pretty obvious that Lazlo is Lino's son.

-We know that the Queen of Obel at one time held the Rune of Punishment.
-We know that at one time Lazlo's mother held the Rune of Punishment.

-We know that the Queen of Obel had a son, who was lost at Sea.
-We know that Lazlo washed up on Razril where he was found by Vincent Vingerhut.

-We know that Lazlo and the Prince of Obel would be the same age.

So they:
Both had a mother who bore the Rune of Punishment
Both were cast out to sea for some reason or another
Both are the same age.

The only way it could be implied stronger is if Lazlo looked like Lino.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

i can barely remember SIV, but i do remember that scene where there was a mother

i think it's one of RoP's spell unlocking ritual

but did it say it was Lazlo's mother?

i only remember the character being named "Mother"

none that would affiliate it with Lazlo

or perhaps i just forgot
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yeah, sure. During the Rune's memory of the Queen of Obel they play the same music box melody that Lazlo hears when he dreams of his mother just for the hell of it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

It's kinda sad that even though Lazlo looks like the Queen of Obel (kinda), Lino doesn't even recognize him.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

By the way, when do you hear the song from the music box? I can't figure it out... :?
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

It's played at the very beginning of the game when Lazlo is still a knight of Razril and again when he sees the Queen of Obel in the Rune's memories. I think there's some text to go along with it the first time, but I don't recall exactly what it was.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Mio wrote:mind you each protagonist of the series have an impressive background
(except S3 where it could be debated that all 3 candidates may have valid outstanding background)

by impressive i meant in terms of military or political background

1. Suiko 1 - son of a great General Teo McDohl
2. Suiko 2 - adopted and personally trained by the War Hero Genkaku
3. Suiko 3 - Chris and Geddoe have ties to the late Flame Champion and Hugo is an upcoming chief of Karaya
4. Suiko 4 - in debate as it is implie weakly
5. Suiko 5 - Crowned Prince, no arguments in that

it would be very pleasing to assume that Lazlo may have some royal blood as to complete and satisfy the pattern of the protagonists

:D
They all have impressive forebearers but they themselves are all pretty unimpressive (with Tir being the one possible exception). Riou was an orphan. On the social ladder, there's not much below that. Hugo feels underappreciated throughout the beginning of the game. And it looks as though he is an illegitimate (or 'bastard' if that's allowed) child. Lazlo is also an orphan. While Frey has grown up rich, when his sister gets married and becomes queen, he will be utterly powerless.

Therefore, I would say that: to keep in line with their ongoing theme of impressive but powerless protagonists, Lazlo almost has to be Lino's son. As if all the evidence that has already been submitted isn't enough.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

But still, coming back to my earlier comment, why is it that Lino doesn't recognize him? With Lazlo looking so much like the Queen and all, despite that the Queen died 15 years ago, you'd think he'd see the Queen's face in Lazlo.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

For someone who has given up hope that his son is still alive for nearly two decades, the resemblance might have appeared as nothing more than a mere coincidence.

That aside, Lazlo being an adopted child of Razril's local lord should rightfully already count for him belonging to an important political figure in that analysis. Being at a frontier in the war between Kooluk and Gaien, \the Vingerhuts should be no less important than Genkaku, as far as influence is concerned.

No doubt though that these two figures are no match to a Great General of Scarlet Moon, or even the Falenan Royal Family.