Aint It a Waste? (death of Troy from Suikoden IV)

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Egan Family

Aint It a Waste? (death of Troy from Suikoden IV)

Post by Egan Family »

I cant believe that Troy from Suikoden IV dies in the end.

He had such great talent at such a young age, I actually thought he actually had a true rune, but no, all he had was pure talent.

He was a guy who had the same objective as Lazlo, which was to restore peace(Right?) Its just too bad he was a loyal subordinate, he should have joined the SoD

Its sad that such good talent dies at the age of 34!
Attempting to Get 108 SoD in:
Suikoden V
Suikoden II

Finished:
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden (Yep I gots all the original Discs for PS)
Archer

Re: Aint It a Waste?

Post by Archer »

I always though that too. They made such a hype about him him in S4's build up and his demise was a little unsatisfactory for me, he really deserved to go out with a bang. I think if S4 had been written a little differently he could have done so much more. He was a very interesting character and I'd have like to have seen more of what earned him his title.
Egan Family

Re: Aint It a Waste? (death of Troy from Suikoden IV)

Post by Egan Family »

Yea after hear all of those ledgends in the game of being the undeafeatable general and all of that.

I wanted the game to cover more about him, he was interesting to me, i would say that Troy and Han Cunningham are the coolest bad guys in the Suikoden series ( I hate Yuber)
Suikoden V
Suikoden II

Finished:
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

They never did much justice to his supposedly "cool" character though, and his death at the end pretty much sealed his fate as yet another underdeveloped characters in the series.

Speaking of which, I kinda wish that they did elaborate more on the Kooluk political struggle in S4 and thus allow for more opportunities to characterise Troy and the rest of the Kooluk imperials. Heck, the Governor wasn't even deemed important enough to have his own name!

Perhaps they'd have him rescued if another installment being made around similar time period, but highly unlikely.
Egan Family

Post by Egan Family »

Yea i agree

I was just dissapointed on how much more he could have been if he hadent died

and how konami never involved him alot in this installment
Suikoden V
Suikoden II

Finished:
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Troy had potential, of course Konami killed him off. I believe his death was fitting, but they should've went more in depth with him. All we get from the Kooluk is that silly Helmut :? Not even Colton would join you. Snowe got all the attention and character development in that installment.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I honestly didn't feel anything when Troy died because he was so underdeveloped anyways. Almost all S4's characters were. It was a shame. They had a lot to work with, they just... didn't work with it.
Purr.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

He was the son of the mother sea...What says his dead?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Rune

Post by Rune »

EternalOnslaught wrote:Troy had potential, of course Konami killed him off. I believe his death was fitting, but they should've went more in depth with him. All we get from the Kooluk is that silly Helmut :? Not even Colton would join you. Snowe got all the attention and character development in that installment.
I agree, Troy's death at the end of IV made sense and was fitting. He is, however, still a horrendously underdeveloped character, and he is seemingly undeserving of this. They claim he had "inhuman" fighting ability, and was born of the sea just like Lazlo, but then never go into any other detail beyond that. I demand another game in IV's/Tactic's timeline that develops all the deserving characters and events that were ruined in IV/Tactics. Even just a Suikogaiden-type game would suffice. There's just so much potential that's being wasted!
Allan

Post by Allan »

I was rather dissapointed with his death, but in a way it was right for his personalilty an' stuff.

Could've been a great Suikoden villain, but was let down by the development team of that dissapointment of a game.

Shame.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Rune wrote:
EternalOnslaught wrote:Troy had potential, of course Konami killed him off. I believe his death was fitting, but they should've went more in depth with him. All we get from the Kooluk is that silly Helmut :? Not even Colton would join you. Snowe got all the attention and character development in that installment.
I agree, Troy's death at the end of IV made sense and was fitting. He is, however, still a horrendously underdeveloped character, and he is seemingly undeserving of this. They claim he had "inhuman" fighting ability, and was born of the sea just like Lazlo, but then never go into any other detail beyond that. I demand another game in IV's/Tactic's timeline that develops all the deserving characters and events that were ruined in IV/Tactics. Even just a Suikogaiden-type game would suffice. There's just so much potential that's being wasted!
I'd have to disagree. Why put any more effort or games in the timeline that very few people cared about? The game had a lot of potential, but eventually, the war wasn't even a factor, everyone just sort of attacked Kooluk and they backed off, no real strategy, no real character involvement, hell, the game was so undeveloped they needed a second game (Tactics) just to flesh out the story.

But I will agree that Troy seemed vastly underdeveloped. He had a lot of potential, and I'd have loved to see more of that from him. Alas, it was not meant to be.

As for coolest villain, I'd have to say Ain Gaide (sp?) for me from SI.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."