zodiac sword

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Kranach

zodiac sword

Post by Kranach »

i don't really know where to post this so it can be move. haven't played suikoden 1 and 2 for a while and when a i last played it, i didn't read the conversations anymore... the zodiac sword aka "star dragon sword" play a major role in suikoden 1 and 2 because of neclord... it appeared in 3 but with not much significance... the zodiac sword claims to be the incarnation of the night rune... so with that part i am now confused... because of the rune incars in 3 and 5... so is the zodiac sword the real night rune or just an incar like the fire, wind and sun incars???
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
WichitaQ

Re: zodiac sword

Post by WichitaQ »

Yes, zodiac is a true rune, but a true rune that took form of a sword. Anyway, z.s. is a true rune.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Zodiac Sword is the Star Dragon Sword

Star Dragon Sword is the Night Rune

The Night rune is 1 of the 27 true runes

that bassically sums everything up
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

wait... did the old book in suikoden 5 mentioned that the night rune took the form of a sword? so the zodiac sword is really the night rune? if so i wonder if the night rune will be back to normal? i wonder if it is a right, left hand or head rune? but the sun rune is a head rune... i wonder what kind of curse it gives it bearer...
MaskedBishop

Post by MaskedBishop »

The curse is its winning personality :P
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

The night rune transformed into a sword, to severe its ties with the Sun Rune, at one point they were bascially connected together, the reason for this, was probably because of jealously. Even True runes have emotions
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

MaskedBishop wrote:The curse is its winning personality :P
but that is the zodiac sword... i mean what thus the rune tells you to do when it is not a sword... what kind of suffering thus it leads it's bearer? like the sun run that drives you to madness? hmmm... now that reminds of the zodiac sword always winning...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i suppose you are given the power to control creatures of the night, so maybe your best friends will become zombies and vampires ^_^

the only thing we really know about the Night Rune / Star Dragon Sword is that it can make a vampire vulnerable...
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

wait... did the old book in suikoden 5 mentioned that the night rune took the form of a sword? so the zodiac sword is really the night rune? if so i wonder if the night rune will be back to normal? i wonder if it is a right, left hand or head rune? but the sun rune is a head rune... i wonder what kind of curse it gives it bearer...
This is just speculation, but here goes... The Sun Rune is a True Rune attached to the head, with its derivatives (Dawn and Twilight) acting as hand-runes. Since the Star Rune (owned by Zerase) is attached to her hand, and it is a derivative of the Night Rune, the Night Rune would probably also be worn on the head--if it was not in sword form... However, since the Sun Rune and Night Rune were once connected, one might speculate that they would reform their bond if the Night Rune resumed its "rune form" (although the extent of such a bond might be troubling if two people wore the runes).

True Runes also do not always carry a curse (as is the case with Riou in Suikoden II; although it could be argued that his battle with Jowy was fueled by the nature of their two runes). The True elemental runes (Fire, Wind, Earth, etc.) did not appear to have any negative side effects, either.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

i just played suikoden 3 again 2 weeks ago... and if i remember... geddoe did mention that the true lightning rune had a curse... it is just that he had the rune for 76 years already and he got used to it... all the elemental true runes holds a curse... a curse doesn't have to kill the bearer or take the lives of your loved ones... some curse may be minor and other won't consider it a curse... in the case of joshua... the dragon rune gave him bond with dragons that he suffer if a dragon is in pain... he was also afraid to loose the dragon rune for all the dragons will die... so want someone to be always near him that knows how to use the rune...
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

I retract my previous statement about True Runes lacking curses since I can't be certain of the truth of that claim. To be honest, though, I am still skeptical of how much of a "curse" many of the runes may have. When Geddoe spoke of his True Rune curse, I interpreted his statement as something like, "Living forever without aging is a curse." (As was the case for the Flame Champion and his lover... Watching your loved ones grow old while you remain unchanged--that's the stereotypical immortality "curse," I suppose.)
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

the only curse Geddoes rune had was the curse of aglessness.....all true runes are different but all have the same curse of agelessness

some True runes have additional curses....like the Rune of Punishment and The Sun Rune

oh and the Bright Shield Rune is not a True Rune...thats why there was no curse on Riou....its only when the Bright Shield combines with Black Sword....that it becomes a True Rune
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

i don't know if agelessness is the only curse of the elemental true runes... a true runes impose it's will on the bearer and grant great power in exchange the bearer needs to sacrifice something which is the curse... the punishment rune slowly takes the life of the user while you continue to use it. the rune of life and death kills the love of it's host to grow stronger, the rune of the beginning won't show it's true form unless the two bearers fight each other to death, the sun rune slowly turn it's bearer insane the more they use the rune... but if you have both the dawn and twilight rune you protect yourself from the curse which is unfair to other true rune bearers and you also get more powerful. the rune of change forces it's bearer to constantly move from place to place, the blue moon rune it drives it bearer in to bloodlust, gate rune being the keeper of balance, i guess being the keeper of balance really comes from being the gate runes bearer, cause the gate rune connect all the worlds so the gate rune bearer protects all the dimension from extinction, that goes the same with the dragon rune, the beast rune turn its bearer in to some berserk animal and when he master the rune he becomes compassionate like a pet, the two kind of animals wild and domestic... the circle rune prevents it's user to progress as a result he loose what he have and doesn't gain anything, the sovereign rune grant it's bearer total power but as a result becomes lonely, we can't truly see this because the rune was embeded in a sword, ( i say who ever did that was not an ordinary blacksmith, maybe it was jeane who embeded th soverign rune in the dragon star sword), the night rune since most of the time it was with the sun rune and suddenly became a sword, the only curse i can think of is the same with the sun rune which drives it's bearer insane, that's why viktor left in the cave wind and gave it to edge, cause the zodiac sword was driving him insane,
the elemental rune? cause suikoden three lacks the in-depth on the true runes... they just said "hey there are elemental true runes, they are one of the 27 true runes!!!" in some point it appears only as a filler rune but, these runes govern the forces in nature... so it must have a curse...
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Kranach wrote:i don't know if agelessness is the only curse of the elemental true runes... a true runes impose it's will on the bearer and grant great power in exchange the bearer needs to sacrifice something which is the curse...
Suikoden 3 dosen't show this at all

the rune of life and death kills the love of it's host to grow stronger
well it just gets stronger from the souls of people who die by the runes power....but I honestly think that was just a gameplay thing
the rune of the beginning won't show it's true form unless the two bearers fight each other to death
that ending wasn't cannon....but I guess its reasonable to assume that is the real ending if Riou and Jowy still fought
the sun rune slowly turn it's bearer insane the more they use the rune... but if you have both the dawn and twilight rune you protect yourself from the curse which is unfair to other true rune bearers and you also get more powerful.
Dawn and Twilight are used to Control the Sun Rune, they bassically ensure that the Sun Rune wont make the bearer go crazy...but they dont give the Sun Rune more power.

Also there are Other True Runes which are incredibly Powerful and have no Stipulations.....Lazlo's Rune of Punishment is now under Complete Control and I bet he ranks as 1 of the most powerful True Rune Bearers
gate rune being the keeper of balance, i guess being the keeper of balance really comes from being the gate runes bearer, cause the gate rune connect all the worlds so the gate rune bearer protects all the dimension from extinction, that goes the same with the dragon rune, the beast rune turn its bearer in to some berserk animal and when he master the rune he becomes compassionate like a pet, the two kind of animals wild and domestic... the circle rune prevents it's user to progress as a result he loose what he have and doesn't gain anything, the sovereign rune grant it's bearer total power but as a result becomes lonely, we can't truly see this because the rune was embeded in a sword, ( i say who ever did that was not an ordinary blacksmith, maybe it was jeane who embeded th soverign rune in the dragon star sword),
1. Leknaat is the Keeper of Balance, we dont know if this is associated with her half of the Gate Rune

2.The dragon Rune Simply Allows for Dragons to exist....I think your confusing it for the Beast Rune

3. we dont know anything about what the Circle Rune does...exept that it represents Order and Stagnation

4. The Soverign Rune dosen't make its bearer Lonely...it simply gives the Bearer Immunity to magic and it can Summon a Rincar

the night rune since most of the time it was with the sun rune and suddenly became a sword, the only curse i can think of is the same with the sun rune which drives it's bearer insane, that's why viktor left in the cave wind and gave it to edge, cause the zodiac sword was driving him insane,
lol come on....now your just being silly.

the elemental rune? cause suikoden three lacks the in-depth on the true runes... they just said "hey there are elemental true runes, they are one of the 27 true runes!!!" in some point it appears only as a filler rune but, these runes govern the forces in nature... so it must have a curse...
well until we Cannon response from Konami...the official verdict is.... aglessness is there only curse
Iku

Post by Iku »

i think the curse on the soul eater and the rune of punishment are quite obvious but perhaps the true water rune ( water being able to adapt to it surroundings and take any form it needs to!) makes its bearer overly functional and makes all of their dicisions (argh cant spell!) rational with out emotion, i supose thats why wyatt was able to leave his daughter! or the fire rune does the opposite and the bearer is driven by emotion and rational thoughts are impossible, again we could say that when the flame champion destroyed a good portion of the grassland this was his rune taking over!
im not saying this is right but if we look at wht the rune represents we can kind of draw conclusions to what the curse may actually be! im sure there is a curse on all true runes because these are the things that sustain the world why wouldnt they alter you or somehow curse you!! :o
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax