Zerase and the Night Rune (*Warning* Does contain spoilers)

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Falenan_descent

Zerase and the Night Rune (*Warning* Does contain spoilers)

Post by Falenan_descent »

Its well known that Zerase may be connected to the Night Rune. I mean, she does carry the Star Rune after all. But, I was just going through Suikoden V on my New Game + and I'm at the point just before I re-take Sol Falena. And, if you walk outside and talk to Zerase she says something along the lines of,

"Leknaat calls me the `Traveller of Night and Guardian of Stars`"

Something like that. Plus, Zerase also mentions that no matter what...the Prince cannot die because the Dawn rune will be lost to Fate. But, if he KEEPS the Dawn rune then the sun rune will not be lost to fate. Which kinda confused me but then I got to thinking...

The idea of two runes making a whole rune isn't entirely a new theory. The Front and Back Gate runes, the Bright Shield and Dark Sword runes...

Or, in the case of Suikoden V, two "Guardian" runes, if you will, that coincide with a True Rune.

So, this leads me to my theory which will hopefully amount to some discussion. But, what if the Night Rune were to have the same layout as the Sun Rune.

So,

For example,

The Night Rune goes with two other runes, just like the Sun rune has Dawn and Twilight.

The Night Rune
The Star Rune
******* Rune (I was thinking some type of Moon rune @_@)

The reason I bring this up is because of what Zerase says the night before the attack. She seems to know that if the Dawn Rune is lost to the hands of Fate...then so will the Sun Rune...and yadda yadda. She seemed to be speaking from experience. Do you think that it's possible that she learned first hand as to what Fate can do to a lost rune and that is why she is constantly searching for something?

She's EXTREMELY mysterious and I'm sure shes bound to show up sooner or later.

DISCUSS!!!!
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

I didnt think that the Dawn and Twilight runes came from the sun rune exclusively, the legend stated that after the night rune transformed into a sworld and severed the bond between it and the sun rune the dawn and twilight runes were born of the severed link between the two runes, meaning they belong to both the sun and the night runes.
Falenan_descent

I didn't mean that they came FROM the Sun and Night runes. I meant that they came along with. Like Dawn and Twilight aren't like Bright Sword and Dark shield in the sense that the two make up a whole. They're two supporting runes. What I meant was...do you think the Night rune has two supporting runes as well? And, if so, is Zerase's Star rune one of them?
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

The Star Rune is mutually exclusive to the Night Rune. It is a lesser rune derived from the Night Rune, which makes it different from the Dawn and Twilight Runes, which are actually companions to the both the Sun and Night Rune.

As for Zerase, she is probably very similar to Leknaat and has a responsibility towards fate and destiny. I think we will definitely see more of her in the future. She might even be an opposite to Leknaat. Notice how Leknaat pretty much wears white, while Zerase wears all black. I doubt this only has to do with her affinity and relationship with the Night Rune.
Archer

Post by Archer »

I'd be interested in knowing if Sierra's True Moon rune bore any connection to these night and day type runes. We atleast know its had /some/ contact with the Night Rune after Neclord was killed by Riou and his crew. To be honest though I think we've seen the last of Zerase, atleast unless theres some event in which the Sun/Night runes will be dealt with again. I think she was created for that purpose and that really is the ONLY thing on her mind during the whole game. She wouldn't have even appeared if not for her connection to them and Konami would really struggle to fit her in somewhere unless she had a motive. I know theres a lot of theories on the end involving all the runes, that'd sure be motivation enough. ;) But who knows? She could pop up.
Falenan_descent

To be honest though I think we've seen the last of Zerase, atleast unless theres some event in which the Sun/Night runes will be dealt with again.
I'm sure you're right. I think her "After the war" line was like, "And she was never heard from again."

If that is correct, then yeah, she will probobly never be heard from again.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Unless they make another prequel where either Luc or Ted can return and assume the Tenkan position without compromising continuity, I can see her returning again. In fact, I'd like to have the series further explore (and hopefully provide a satisfying conclusion to) the Sun-Night mystery and the Old Armes subplots as soon as possible.

Might as well throw the Moon rune in there somewhere to bring the relationships to a closed cycle.

Needless to say, Tenkan star is one of the hottest seat on the Tablet.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I think The Sun runes story has been dealt with to be honest. I know it still has a lot of mystery but what rune doesnt? I don't think Konami can afford to waste their time procrastinating on older runes unless the bearer is of major popularity or importance. Obviously no one knows what Konami have planned and it is very likely that ALL the runes will crop up again at some point in the conclusion but I think we have to come to understand that some characters need to be left a mystery. I'm sure they will come around to Jeanne and Viki but I like how Zerase left and I think it would be wise to leave her where she is. A cameo might be nice, maybe an appearance in some cut scenes and story if the sun rune is involved but her character will be ruined if Konami disect her secrets for all to see and drag her on as yet another SoD. In my opinion memorable characters don't need to be brought back as playable, the fact that they were there in the first place is enough for me.

I must say though, what you said about closure and Armes subplots may not mean the end of 5's story. I doubt they'd continue in another Suikoden but just when we thought 4 was over, along came Tactics.
LadyKarasu

Post by LadyKarasu »

I'd like to see Zerase return... but with some mystery left intact. Maybe elsewhere in the Suikoverse (not Falena)? If she's "never seen again" by the people in 5, that doesn't mean she couldn't show up in the future when there is no recurring characters (Jeane and Viki don't count). But it would be sad if she didn't show up again at all.
Baggy

Post by Baggy »

It seems to me that she was in cahoots with Leknaat. If this is the case and she is playing some part in the larger scheme of destiny that Leknaat seems to be the arbiter/puppeteer/assister of, then this may not be the last we see of her. She was never heard of again...well not in Sol Falena anyways.

And we're sure that the star rune is a minor one? It seems to fit too well into the Dawn/Twilight/Sun/Night Rune scheme.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Runes really only come in two classifications: True Runes, and everything else. If it's not a True Rune, it's a minor rune. Even if it's a unique rune like the Dawn and Twilight runes, it's still just a plain old rune.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

WaterMoon wrote:Runes really only come in two classifications: True Runes, and everything else. If it's not a True Rune, it's a minor rune. Even if it's a unique rune like the Dawn and Twilight runes, it's still just a plain old rune.
I cant agree with this, from my understanding.. there are 4 classes of runes

1. True Runes

2. Special Runes= bright shield,Black sword, dawn,twilight, star...each 1 of these runes are stronger than most runes in existence, there power is only rivaled by a true rune but in some cases there power can come close to matching that power{Riou's bright shield rune being an example}

ive also noticed that while Special runes arent sentient...they DO have a pre destined target. This is made clear in suikoden 2 and Suikoden 5.

In suikoden 2 Riou and Jowy were destined to retrieve those runes, we can confirm this by Leknaats words AND by the fact that Han cunningham and Genkaku were the only other bearers of these runes

In Suikoden 5 Zerase states that the dawn rune CHOSE the prince, if the dawn rune chose the prince then its POSSIBLE that Special runes are actually sentient or it could be that they cant really think for themselves...but they have a pre programed agenda and can act out scenarious to complete that Agenda. For Dawn and Twilight the Agenda would be to Re unite with eachother so that they could both continue being with the Sun Rune

3. Advanced Runes= Rage,Flowing,Cyclone,thunder ect these runes are born from true runes, they posseses no sentience there just much stronger forms of runes that are found in Nature

4. Normal Runes= runes found in Nature and runes created by science/magic, these runes are the weakest of all runes, most likely they were born from nature and not from the Advanced runes or true runes
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Unique runes such as the Bright Shield, Black Sword, Dawn, Twilight, and Star are unique due to the fact that they do possess some sentience and that they are very closely tied to the True Rune of their birth.

There is clear distinction between at least three classes of runes in my opinion.