Mueller's attitude

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Belle

Mueller's attitude

Post by Belle »

There are lots of Richard topics, so I hope it's okay to start a new one about Mueller (despite Richard being involved quite a bit).

Anyway, something just hit me about Mueller. We all know that he's harsh when reprimanding soldiers who slack off (hits them with a rod, threatens to hang Richard at the Sacred Games...he even keeps Wilhelm on his toes). But at the same time, he also seems to care about his soldiers, and they respect him. Also, when you try to recruit him, he'll scold you if you've lost too many soldiers.

About six or seven years ago, Mueller saw Richard being horribly mistreated by his father (a very skilled swordsman who'd been training Richard since he was very little...and not in a nice way), and so he killed the man. We all know that event is what caused Richard to become so attached to Mueller.

Now, here's a question. Was that event also the reason for Mueller's treatment of his soldiers? Was he so disturbed that he swore never to treat his soldiers the way Richard's father treated Richard? Or is it the other way around? Is he just the type of guy who doesn't like to see a soldier mistreated? I'm really curious about this. I think if that event is what affected his attitude, it would add some depth to his character, as well as to the relationship between him and Richard.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I think Mueller is generally a good person. That when he sees a kid getting seriously abused, he just can't stand there and watch.

And I believe he was the same way before and after the event. The reason he is so harsh on his soldiers is because he wants to keep them in line, train hard, so that there will be less casualties on the battlefield. Good for business, and it's very moral, I suppose.

And the threats, like threatening to hang Richard are just empty Drill Sgt. threats.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Adagerad

Post by Adagerad »

What is the source of this information about Mueller and Richard? Is it a Konami publication? To my knowledge, the game itself mentions nothing about the circumstances under which they met.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Adagerad wrote:What is the source of this information about Mueller and Richard? Is it a Konami publication? To my knowledge, the game itself mentions nothing about the circumstances under which they met.
I don't know if that's when they first met, but that information above is right in the game. It's accessible only if you kill off Richard.
StarBeamAlpha

Post by StarBeamAlpha »

Anyone have the exact text from the note?
Belle

Post by Belle »

A little painful to part with, but sure. :wink:
"Richard"

I really shouldn't tell you this... Richard's father was a damn good swordsman, but he was a little crazy. Richard started learning swordplay before he learned how to walk, and his dad's training was nonstop and brutal. Sometime around six or seven years ago, something about that set Mueller off, and he killed Richard's father. Ever since then, the kid's been following Mueller around. Hey, don't tell Mueller I said anything, all right?