I always did hate Childerich (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
suikodenherodrake

I always did hate Childerich (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Post by suikodenherodrake »

Okay, I heard about the whole "stay in the castle, Roy dies" schick, and playing through the game again last night made me wanna see it. HOLY crap, that's all I got to say. Roy, you are the man. That scene was such a tear on the heart strings, man. :cry: Of course, seeing that, it reminded me why I despised Childerich so much. He reminded me so much of Luca Blight, and let me tell ya, I wasn't a big fan of Luca either. Anyone else, besides me, felt like they just wanted to destroy everything after seeing that scene..... mostly Childerich and those Armes fools?
Check out my Suikoden fic: Freiheit
WARNING: Season 1 may cause head-splodies.
R.I.P. Todd Davis
3-21-88 - 2-25-07
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I never did that in my game but I found a scene of it on YouTube

WARNING: Do not watch unless you want to be spoilled heavily. This happens if you choose the 'defend castel' option at the middle of the game( or ratehr 3rth quarter).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DU2ct0cENbA& ... ikoden%20V

I found it amazing. And it explained the arrow in prince's chest that we saw in the trailer before the game's release wich confused me alot.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Well, if you hate Childerich so much, cause of his evil acts, then I think you sort of ARE a fan of him. Because he is a character that is made to be hated.

And I was wondering, if you do choose to defend the castle; does the arena scene where you fight childerich change at all?
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

Sickpup wrote:Well, if you hate Childerich so much, cause of his evil acts, then I think you sort of ARE a fan of him. Because he is a character that is made to be hated.

And I was wondering, if you do choose to defend the castle; does the arena scene where you fight childerich change at all?
I think the term you are looking for is "you love to hate him." And I would agree.
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
Koujirou

Post by Koujirou »

Heh, I saved my game before deciding to flee or defend the castle so I could watch that without having to backtrack too much. What a great scene.

And speaking of Childerich...There's one thing I don't really get in terms of the duel with him toward the end of the game. Belcoot, Zegai and Richard all have reasons for wanting to fight Childerich, but wouldn't you think Hazuki would want a crack at him too, considering he was the guy who 'beat' Belcoot during the sacred games? You'd think she'd want to see if Childerich was really that good.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Koujirou wrote:Heh, I saved my game before deciding to flee or defend the castle so I could watch that without having to backtrack too much. What a great scene.

And speaking of Childerich...There's one thing I don't really get in terms of the duel with him toward the end of the game. Belcoot, Zegai and Richard all have reasons for wanting to fight Childerich, but wouldn't you think Hazuki would want a crack at him too, considering he was the guy who 'beat' Belcoot during the sacred games? You'd think she'd want to see if Childerich was really that good.
I guess she never found out about that. She probably wasn't in Falena at the time.

Also, wasn't it weird that no one says anything different if your choose the "Roy's death" storyline? Heck, they don't even mention him after a while.
Hmm...
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Actually, I was curious, did the whole story about the Dragon Cavalry change if you chose to defend your castle? They appeared at the end of that seen, but if you chose to run away, you had to help them, otherwise they couldn't move out.

As for the Hazuki question, I can think of two possible explanations. Either she never heard about what happened during the Sacred Games, or, if she did, she heard the whole story and knew Belcoot wasn't at his best when he was defeated by Childerich.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

The Dragon Cavalry story pretty much remains the same. Except you hear it second hand instead of doing it yourself, and Georg does all the work.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

haha roy died.

That video rocked!

To bad Childerich didn't rend his head from his shoulders personally.
Serpent

Post by Serpent »

Futagi wrote:Actually, I was curious, did the whole story about the Dragon Cavalry change if you chose to defend your castle? They appeared at the end of that seen, but if you chose to run away, you had to help them, otherwise they couldn't move out.

As for the Hazuki question, I can think of two possible explanations. Either she never heard about what happened during the Sacred Games, or, if she did, she heard the whole story and knew Belcoot wasn't at his best when he was defeated by Childerich.
Maybe she was just scared because Belcoot ripped her a new hole last time and she heard what Childerich did to Belcoot.
You can close your eyes from reality but not memories.
kanzuki

Post by kanzuki »

I started thinking of Luca after Childerich started laughing "Gyahahahahahah" or something like that, and to top it off he said "Die, PIGS!!!".

For now I didn't really like him, but Konami certainly did a good job in his character. Still, I find Luca to be better than Childerich because Luca had a reason to be the way he is. I'm not too sure why Childrerich turned the way he is now so...i'll let him be for now =p
[Blitzkrieg]

Post by [Blitzkrieg] »

I've always been a fan of the villains, and Childerich is no exception, although, I must admit, the Roy scene was very depressing.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

"Die Pigs!" was just an out of place Easter Cookie put in by the translators. Either way, just remember Nether Gate assasins are brainwashed into killers. Childerich is different from old Nether Gate assasins though. NG assasins were supposed to kill as a profession, they killed because they were ordered to. Dolph enjoyed killing, but he nevertheless only did so when it was part of the job, unlike Childerich which let his emotions overrun his judgement, and used any excuse to kill. Dolph would have made a better and more usefull Queen's Knight than Childerich, IMO.
Hmm...
Philweasel

Post by Philweasel »

xXSqualleoNXx wrote:"Die Pigs!" was just an out of place Easter Cookie put in by the translators. Either way, just remember Nether Gate assasins are brainwashed into killers. Childerich is different from old Nether Gate assasins though. NG assasins were supposed to kill as a profession, they killed because they were ordered to. Dolph enjoyed killing, but he nevertheless only did so when it was part of the job, unlike Childerich which let his emotions overrun his judgement, and used any excuse to kill. Dolph would have made a better and more usefull Queen's Knight than Childerich, IMO.
This is what’s called being overpromoted. “Wow, look at all those detached limbs, best solider ever! Officer material!”

Meanwhile said officer is busy eating the still beating hearts of his opponents.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

I never liked Childerich as a character. He seemed shallow to me. The only legs he was given to stand on seemed like hand-me-downs from Luca Blight, which made him seem like a shell of a character without much depth.

In a series lauded for deep characters, I found that to be disappointing.