Crowley and Mazus

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Atman

Crowley and Mazus

Post by Atman »

People talk a lot about Crowley and Mazus being reincarnated, but there is nothing officially stating that, correct? All we know for certain is that their death occurred before their birth. When I first read about that, my first thought was time travel. We know that it's possible in the Suikoden universe, because the Star Dragon Sword hurled your party back to the Village of the Hidden Rune in Suikoden 1.

It would also explain why their duel ended in a draw. Since it's been stated that Crowley is stronger than Mazus (and always has been, being his teacher) it wouldn't really make sense for a match that happened in the past to end up as a draw. If, however, they travel to the past at some point in the future, then that gives an indeterminite amount of time for Mazus to become stronger, and be an even match for Crowley.
Blazefeeler

Post by Blazefeeler »

It will be interesting to see if Konami brings them back into the loop down the road, that is for sure.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Blazefeeler wrote:It will be interesting to see if Konami brings them back into the loop down the road, that is for sure.
Only if there is a cave deep enough in the game. :lol:
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I stumbled upon this wiki article on a real life Crowley who also practiced magic. The wiki says his enemy is Mathers, which made me think Crowley vs Mazus.
His friend and former Golden Dawn associate, Allan Bennett, introduced him to the ideas of Buddhism, while Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers, acting leader of the Golden Dawn organization, acted as his early mentor in western magick but would later become his enemy. Several decades after Crowley's participation in the Golden Dawn, Mathers claimed copyright protection over a particular ritual and sued Crowley for infringement after Crowley's public display of the ritual. While the public trial continued, both Mathers and Crowley claimed to call forth armies of demons and angels to fight on behalf of their summoner. Both also developed and carried complex Seal of Solomon amulets and talismans.
I looked up his name in Japanese; it's メイザース/Meizaasu, which I find to be a little closer to "Mathers" than "Mazus" is.
Last edited by dragonmasterx on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yeah, this is pretty well-known information. Crowley and Mazus were meant to represent the real-life Aleister Crowley and MacGregor Mathers. Although in our world, Crowley was the pupil turned rival and Mathers was the teacher.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yep, discussed in this thread about two years ago--

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... thers#6555

Also, Levi from Suikoden V is based Eliphas Levi, a 19th century mystic that affected later hermetic movements such as the Golden Dawn, theosophy, etc.