The tragic character of Warlock IV *spoilers*

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Seth the Dark

The tragic character of Warlock IV *spoilers*

Post by Seth the Dark »

Am I the only one who finds the story of Warlock and his creation of Rune Cannon to be that of a tragedy. I say this because he created these massive weapons, realize the destruction he has released, feel genuine remorse and then be killed by a rogue group of people who killed because of his creation.
Komataguri

Re: The tragic character of Warlock IV *spoilers*

Post by Komataguri »

Seth the Dark wrote:Am I the only one who finds the story of Warlock and his creation of Rune Cannon to be that of a tragedy. I say this because he created these massive weapons, realize the destruction he has released, feel genuine remorse and then be killed by a rogue group of people who killed because of his creation.

I think it was a throw back to the men who invented the atom bomb, personally.
Felenan Prince

Post by Felenan Prince »

Im sure Einstien must have felt the same way Warlock would. Considering they both such deadly weapons. But in Warlock case he has some comfort in knowing no one can make anymore rune cannons
xClivex

Re: The tragic character of Warlock IV *spoilers*

Post by xClivex »

Komataguri wrote: I think it was a throw back to the men who invented the atom bomb, personally.
Yeah, i believe that too.
Just a thin line drawn between being a genius or insane...
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

I think it just one of those recurrent themes. Great inventors who invent weapons and then feel remorse as they age because they see they killing is just wrong. Like Leonardo De Vinci. He made weapons while he was young and then as he aged he wrote of the remorse he felt creating things that just helped to end lives.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Was there any point in the game where Warlock personally says he's guilty of making the rune cannons?
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

well i think that at the end of s4 when the people of the island nations executed him for creating them. i mean he was warlock if he didn't feel like being executed then i don't think he would let it happen so easy, if he didn't feel remorse then his star might have read warlock fought a bitter death against those who thought him a criminal or something rather then he just got executed. i mean to be that powerful and to just be executed must mean that he accepted what he did, at least to himself he had. even if he didn't tell anyone else.
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I completely agree. Even though someone besides himself went through with the execution, he did feel a ton of remorse, and probably felt it was an appropriate punishment, rather than fighting it.
Felenan Prince

Post by Felenan Prince »

I think Warlock was actual very remorseful for what he did. He did join he and co. to end the war. He was abit proud though and did not admit in public his remose for creating the rune cannon. At least that is my opinion
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

everyone is entitled to their opioion but i don't necessary think he was proud of creating the rune cannons, maybe proud that he had such power, or proud that he could do something that made a difference in the world. (suikoden world that is). What i'm saying is i don't think he was proud to have invented such a harmful and widely used weapon throughout the island nations. maybe the fact that he was a genius and he excelled beyond the knowledge of normal man is why he is proud. I mean like mentioned earlier in the topic that of famous men, geniuses who invented weapons of war. do you not think they felt remorse for what they created. the a-bomb, yeah albert felt remorse, but at the same time don't you think he was proud to know that only he could create something like that, even if it was a bomb. so to sum it up warlock felt nothing but remorse when thought about how the rune cannons affected the worldly enviroment, but he was proud to know that he could create something that noone else could. get that, is that what you meant
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
Night

Post by Night »

What the hell? Warlock wasn't executed. He was murdered by a group angry at him for creating the rune cannons.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

no he was executed. that is what his star reads at the end of s4, go check it out if you forgot, and your partly right. he was executed, not murdered, by people who were angry at him for creating the rune cannons.
Night

Post by Night »

I guess it all depends on your definition of executed. A real world parallel would be the beheading of Coalition hostages in Iraq. To some it is seen as an execution, to others it is seen as just plain murder. The situation with Warlock is quite similar. However, he wasn't executed by"the people of the island nations" as you said, as that implies it was done officially, on the people's behalf. He was executed/murdered by a group angry at him for creating rune cannons, which is kinda different from "the people of the island nations."
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

i see your point regarding the people mad at him and them not representing the whole island nations, only a mob, but my defination of murder is death against someones will, as execution might be agaisnt your will but at the same time its usally and unchanable planned event. like i said before i see it as an execution simply because warlock didn't struggle or resist, he took his fate and died like he had accepted his wrong doings
Alastor

Post by Alastor »

I dont look on him like on Einstein, but like on Alfred Nobel. Einstein knew that his weapon will be weapon of destruction, but Nobel hoped that dynamite will be used wisely to help people conqeur the nature, as i belive Warlock tought.