Georg's fighting style

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

Destiny's Warrior wrote:
malicesoul wrote:Ferid, better than Georg!? Man, I would like to see that. Too bad he was non playable :(
I think one of the Queen's Knights (Can't remember who) tells you that Georg is unmatched in combat without Runes. Then he/she says the only person that could match him is Ferid... Yeah something like that.

Is his Fighting style the same in Suikoden II? I can't really remember. Did he have the same sword as well?
It seems to be a large, quite heavy, almost uncurved Katana. It has the edge of a Katana but it's broad and straight.
Looks like he uses kinda like a Japanese sword and a western sword combined. His sword type in called Iai Sword in the game (If that means anything). In Suikoden II, he just uses a regular broadsword.
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

The Iai sword techniques, similar to batoujutsu, involve expertise in quickly drawing and sheathing a sword (generally a katana). So it makes sense for Georg. Iai swords/techniques show up in some other RPGs as well... I think it's a tech in Legend of Mana.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Actually, I had a closer look last night and his blade does has a distinctive easterner style. Either way, it is not a Katana. It is a sword for use in the Iai, or battojoutsu, style.
Hmm...
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Kirin wrote:The Iai sword techniques, similar to batoujutsu, involve expertise in quickly drawing and sheathing a sword (generally a katana). So it makes sense for Georg. Iai swords/techniques show up in some other RPGs as well... I think it's a tech in Legend of Mana.
Yeah, there's a tech in LoM called "Iai Strike".

Honestly, I'd never heard the term "battoujutsu" before, but I'd come across mention of "iaijutsu" and "iaido" in a textbook-style volume about classical samurai fighting arts. I think the advantage to using a katana instead of a straight, more western-styled blade like Georg's is mostly centered around the fact that you can draw a sword with just the right degree of curve faster than you can draw a straight one of the same length. I can't find any information suggesting that there's a special type of iai-specific sword, just a katana of the right length (a little over 2', depending on your height) with a certain degree of curvature. Too much curvature or too little can slow down the draw, and it also affects the balance and makes it harder to control; this is important since iai is based on very quick, precise attacks.

Seems like it wasn't a "war" art so much as a "combat" one, if that makes any sense; the kind of thing that was best-suited for social settings (like dueling) or situations where you found yourself fighting unexpectedly (like ambushes).

Georg's blade definitely isn't a katana, it's my understanding that katana don't generally have doubled edges and aren't that broad or straight...
Kailest

One and the same

Post by Kailest »

Definition of Battojutsu:

Iaido (iaidō), also sometimes called Iaijutsu (iaijutsu) or Battojutsu (battōjutsu) is a sword based Japanese martial art that trains the motions associated with drawing a katana from its sheath, striking an opponent, removing blood from the blade, and then re-sheathing the katana with smooth, controlled movement. Modern day exponents typically use iaito instead of shinken at least in beginning stages of study.

Source: Google Definitions

For those of you that have seen Rurouni Kenshin, Battojutsu is one of Kenshin's specialties.

From what I've seen Georg's Stance is consistent with Iaijutsu or Battojutsu, whichever you prefer... but his sword is wrong.
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

Maybe Georg is just THAT good! :D
Able to use a fighting style without even having the proper tools . I mean, he did kick everything's ass in Falena without using all his vision!
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

malicesoul wrote:Maybe Georg is just THAT good! :D
Able to use a fighting style without even having the proper tools . I mean, he did kick everything's ass in Falena without using all his vision!
Well, he IS Georg Prime. About the only way someone could have a fair fight with him is if he tied his right wrist to his left ankle and promised to leave the eyepatch on...