Lucretia & Zhuge Liang

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
ComeBackKid

Lucretia & Zhuge Liang

Post by ComeBackKid »

I don't know how many people follow the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games made by Koei. But, I've been playing those games forever and I noticed a similarity between Lucretia and the best tactician in the RoTK games Zhuge Liang. The thing that made my think of it was the robe and fan that Lucretia uses. I don't you guys can look for yourselves:

Zhuge Liang:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Li ... eliang.jpg
Lucretia:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/b ... rtwork.png
Last edited by ComeBackKid on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can’t hold on to the thrill
So I hope you find your will to follow through
What we’ve invented, I am now ending
Hold on to who you love
We are tryin’ to blow like dust since we were young
The mornings over, the day is in full swing.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

The only similarity's is the fan.

EDIT: DAMN... Zhuge..lian..

It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it!
ComeBackKid

Post by ComeBackKid »

er, maybe i should clarify why i think they are so familiar. in the RoTK series Zhuge is known as the best military tactician and is renown for his abilities as a tactician. I noticed that Lucretia is regarded the same way in SV and her fan just set it off to me. I guess you'd have to play RoTK to really see why they are similar.
Hold on to who you love
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

ComeBackKid wrote:er, maybe i should clarify why i think they are so familiar. in the RoTK series Zhuge is known as the best military tactician and is renown for his abilities as a tactician. I noticed that Lucretia is regarded the same way in SV and her fan just set it off to me. I guess you'd have to play RoTK to really see why they are similar.
Leon Silverberg was also regarded the best tactician. So was Eleanor.

EDIT: Also remove those pictures, just link the site to the images. I didin't want to member-mod but no mod has noticed yet so..
ComeBackKid

Post by ComeBackKid »

yes you are right. I just noticed that Lucretia and Zhuge seemed more similar in the character design. It just so happened that Lucretia was a tactitian.
Hold on to who you love
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Lucretia is a Suikoden V character, put her in Suikoden V forum only please and thank you. moving. . .
Koredju

Post by Koredju »

As far as i know, the tactician who's the can be compared to Zhuge Liang is Shu because of his Schemes and his ressemblance (to the description of the book)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Murayama stated that Shu is based on Zhuge Liang (image-wise). King has stated that Lucretia comes from the Renaissance figure Lucretia Borgia.
Chef Boyardee

Post by Chef Boyardee »

You should probably read the book before you make uninformed assertions based on Dynasty Warriors. Zhuge Liang isn't really anything like Lucretia and one of the first things that jumps out at me was how reluctant Zhuge Liang was to help Liu Bei. It took Liu Bei three visits before Zhuge Liang came along, Lucretia offered to help before you even get the chance to ask her. If anything, Lucretia would be Pang Tong because so many of her strategies are water-based and Pang Tong was famous for linking the ships together to create stability or whatever.
ComeBackKid

Post by ComeBackKid »

Chef Boyardee wrote:You should probably read the book before you make uninformed assertions based on Dynasty Warriors. Zhuge Liang isn't really anything like Lucretia and one of the first things that jumps out at me was how reluctant Zhuge Liang was to help Liu Bei. It took Liu Bei three visits before Zhuge Liang came along, Lucretia offered to help before you even get the chance to ask her. If anything, Lucretia would be Pang Tong because so many of her strategies are water-based and Pang Tong was famous for linking the ships together to create stability or whatever.
i read the book. it's actually one of my favorite books. i'm well aware of the 3 visits. i made the comparison based on the character design and the fact that lucretia is held in the same regards as Zhuge as being on of the best tactitian. i made no connection on how they acted as tactitians. i didnt base anything off of dynasty warriors, the picture may have came from the game by my connection didnt. thanks though
Hold on to who you love
reyjusuf

Post by reyjusuf »

didnt riou need 3 visits to get shu?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I didn't know Zhuge Liang ran a business, and even went as far as considering war as beneficial to businesses in general. So much for the Kingdom of Shu and their infinite justice.

I learn something new everyday.
Jacu

Post by Jacu »

off Topic but.. I wish they had given an enemy character who could have matched Lucretia's brains on Godwin's side... like shu vs leon or Caesar vs Albert.. Sorry it's just an opinion.
ReiHikari

Post by ReiHikari »

When I first saw Lucretia I immediately shouted "OMG Zhuge Liang!" but mostly because I'm an avid Dynasty Warriors and RoTK fan.

There is definitely a resemblance design-wise with robes and fan. Zhuge Liang is often depicted in robes and holding a white fan (it's not just a Dynasty Warriors or RoTK thing). I guess the only thing Lucretia needed was a poofy hat :wink:

Personality/Character-wise, Shu is definitely based on Zhuge Liang. For one, both were reluctant to get involved in war but did so because they were touched by the determination and strength of the prospective leaders. Second, the leaders (Riou and Liu Bei) had to make several attempts/visits before successfully recruiting their strategists. This (at least in the case of RoTK) was a test of the leader's character and sincerity as well as to humble them. That is, if the strategist agreed to join, they would be working on equal terms and that the leader had to listen to them, otherwise, what would be the point of joining? In terms of strategy, both used a fire attack against a powerful enemy.

The only thing I can tie Lucretia with Zhuge Liang personality-wise is perhaps her loyalty to the Prince (especially if you choose to defend the castle rather than flee IMO) and reluctance to take a leadership position after the war. This can be likened to Zhuge Liang's support of Liu Chan in order to keep a promise to Liu Bei after he refuses to become leader after Liu Bei's death despite Liu Chan's idiocy and inability.
Alex Delferia

Post by Alex Delferia »

Wraith wrote:
ComeBackKid wrote:Leon Silverberg was also regarded the best tactician. So was Eleanor.
I still don't really see why Elenor was regarded as a 'best tactician'... Though she's got guts and all, I feel Lazlo and co. could've won the war without her help.

Must've been the somewhat strategy-lacking war battles.