Meanings/origins of names

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
LGM

Meanings/origins of names

Post by LGM »

I thought it might be interesting to open a topic to see where some of the names of the Suiko characters come from. Some of the things I've found out are quite interesting.

YUBER:
Yu: Meaning in chinese Yu is fish, universe, rain, and jade.

Universe seems to fit with the whole infinity theory.

PESMERGA:

Pes: Latin words including Pes:

pessimus : worst
pessum do: to destroy, ruin, wreck
pessum ire: to sink, be ruined, destroyed, be put to an end.
pessum : to the ground, to the bottom, downward.
pestifer : pestilential, injurious, damaging, plaguey,
pestifere : destructively, injuriously.
pestis pestis : plague, epidemic, pestilence / destruction, curse.

So basically, death and the end. Which would seem to fit Yuber far better.

LORELAI:

German origin. Temptress; A rocky cliff on the Rhine river dangerous to boat passage; the Lorelei whose singing lures men to destruction.

So of a water origin?

MORGAN:

Dweller/Lives by/Fighter of the sea.

CLIVE:

Lives on Cliffs. Good for an assassin marksman?

LUC:

Light, Illumination.

ZWEIG:

Again, German origin: meaning twig or branch.

Wood or earth connotations?

GREMIO:

Found on a Kabalarian website:

The name Gremio creates the urge to be friendly and diplomatic, but we point out that it limits your versatility and vision, tuning you to technical details. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the fluid and elimination system.

The name of Gremio incorporates a potential aptitude for concentration and patient, logical thought along mechanical or scientific lines. You tend to prefer to follow normal routine rather than cope with the disruption and uncertainty entailed in trying something new. You gravitate to situations where you have stability and the opportunity to make slow step-by-step progress, preferably in a technical field. Procrastination and lack of self-confidence may restrict your success.

Seems to fit, doesn't it?

CLEO:

Apparently means 'glory'.

VALERIA:

Valeria, a 4-syllable girl's name of Latin origin, means: One who is strong and healthy; valiant.

ODESSA:

Greek for "odyssey." For the born traveler.

Anyone else have any more information or corrections?
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Well, I know the name Louis means famous warrior. So I am expecting if there is ever a post Suiko3 Suikoden, that Louis would be grown up and maybe be quite a knight.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Pesmerga is a Kurdish word, meaning "he who stands before death."
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

In other words you'll have to translate every name into every language and then look if there's a hidden hint in their meanings....

I think your looking to far.
Koredju

Post by Koredju »

Luc is just a common name in france, like Thomas is too ^^;
bloggs24

Post by bloggs24 »

oh wow, i was amazed at all the pesmerga meanings, i think they suit pesmerga, seeing as we dont know muchbout him, im willin to bet he can be as dangerous as yuber.

and the valeria 1 sounds pretty good
Koredju

Post by Koredju »

Pesmerga is also the name given to a branch of the Islamic religion.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Ergo Pesmerga is a moslim. Seriously, trying to find meaning in their names is too hard and probably futile.
LGM

Post by LGM »

I would accept these names are just names if they were ordinary Japanese names, but to use a name like 'Zweig' (not the most common name in Japan or most English speaking countries) shows that the creators have gone out of their way for the name. It must be quite tough for someone who speaks japanese to go trundling through german names to find something to fit their character.

The fact that Lorelai and Zweig are both german names, one relating to the sea, one to a tree/earth, does seem to show some relevance. Certain events in suiko 5 link Zweig to a tree. Elsewhere I hypothesised the Sindar name was derived from the word 'Cinder' and that the Crimson Bird Clan worshipped the Phoenix (a crimson bird?) that rose from the ashes or 'Cinders/Sindars'. That would suggest:

Killey-Fire
Lorelai-Water
Zweig-Wood

Which is like the Paper/Rock/Scissors theory that all of Suikoden is loosely based on.

Its only a theory, but it does seem to hold up.

And other names are given to imply certain characters. An obvious example: 'Flik'. the name expresses quick, swift, sudden, not to mention when added to a 'Flick of Lightning'. Its the same with Vicktor, it brings up visions of both 'Victory' and Victor Frankenstein/Transylvania/horror films, which fits into the monster man/vampire killer. Another one is Barbarossa, who was a german king. Lucrietia is another one.

And I'm not saying all of the characters name mean something, but its interesting to see certain characters being given a name that links strongly to their character/situation.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Most Harmonian people have 'german' names. IN the suikoverse they would just be Harmonian names.
Georg Jr.

Names

Post by Georg Jr. »

Jeane, pronounced Djinn in japanese, would be, as her name implies, an implicit allusion to the magical beings of the 1001 nights that could grant wishes.

That would explain her seldom, but enjoyable, looks... :wink:

And Alhazred (SuikoV) is a reference to HP Lovecraft, and means the man who wrote the Necronomicon, book of the undead. That's why he's searching for the accursed tome known as the Book of Condemnation...

Caesar (SuikoIII) would imply Julius Cesar, Roman Emperor, who was said to be a tactical genius.

And there are other references (Tesla, Roland, Percival, ...).
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Yeah, this isn't in the Suikoden V section...

...but it is now.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Yeah, this isn't in the Suikoden V section...

...but it is now.
pwned.

Anyway, is this about the orgin of names or the meaning of them? I thought there was a seperate thread about orgins...

*Runs to search engine*

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6545

here
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

Cathari: (From the Greek katharos, pure), literally "puritans", a name specifically applied to, or used by, several sects at various periods. The Novatians of the third century were frequently known as Cathari, and the term was also used by the Manichæans. In its more usual sense, Cathari was a general designation for the dualistic sects of the later Midde Ages. Numerous other names were in vogue to denominate these heretics.
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

With her being from Harmonia, that makes perfect sense.
I hope everything is going delicious.