My Jeane Theory

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
reyjusuf

Post by reyjusuf »

Jeane doesnt travel back in time so S4 is probably the first time Jeane met Viki but not the first time Viki met Jeane.
Desides

Post by Desides »

skymansxeno wrote:The reason I think this is because Zerase (who is very smart also about runes) who acted very arrogont to everybody, even to Leknaat (when she said "are you giving ME an order") seemed to act like Jeane is at least an equal.
Why does everyone get this line wrong? Zerase's words to Leknaat are, "Are you giving me an order? Very well." This was in reponse to Leknaat's talking to the Prince. There is no antagonism in Zerase's deliverance of this quote: Zerase is obviously Leknaat's subordinate, which is why Zerase not only has the Tablet of the Stars, but obeys Leknaat's order to summon the Tablet in the first place. Zerase was only commenting on the subtle form of Leknaat's order--she was not begruding the command.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Desides wrote:There is no antagonism in Zerase's deliverance of this quote: Zerase is obviously Leknaat's subordinate, which is why Zerase not only has the Tablet of the Stars, but obeys Leknaat's order to summon the Tablet in the first place. Zerase was only commenting on the subtle form of Leknaat's order--she was not begruding the command.
There was no complete obedience in her deliverance either. Claiming that she is Leknaat's subordinate from this simple statement seems far-fetched to me.

Does Leknaat even use/need subordinates? Luc and Sarah were gifted children that she rescued from the Harmonia's hands, not subordinates.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I think perhaps we use the wrong term here saying subordinate, that Leknaat was the Master to Luc and Sarah being pupils. However Zerase is working with Leknaat, not for. Which is why she said "giving me order?" That it should have been a request or at least that's how she sees it. Leknaat may think otherwise.
Rich the Stampede

Post by Rich the Stampede »

I think i'll love Jeane no matter what she does.
carry the lantern high
Desides

Post by Desides »

patapi wrote:There was no complete obedience in her deliverance either. Claiming that she is Leknaat's subordinate from this simple statement seems far-fetched to me.
Yes, there was. Zerase unquestioningly followed a command given to her by Leknaat. That is complete obedience. The characterization of Zerase's response as a challenge to Leknaat is wrong. Both the actual line and the delivery of said line do not reflect a challenge to Leknaat's authority, especially since Zerase carried out the order to reveal the Tablet of the Stars. If Zerase was not somehow a subordinate of Leknaat, said command would not have been followed.

If you didn't know someone, and they told you to get in a car and drive across town to deliver a package to a second person you didn't know, would you do it? Of course not. But if your boss tells you to take a package to another branch of the business you work for, you do it, because he's your boss. Likewise; Zerase wouldn't give a damn what Leknaat told her to do if Zerase was not somehow subordinate to Leknaat.

Does Leknaat even use/need subordinates? Luc and Sarah were gifted children that she rescued from the Harmonia's hands, not subordinates.
Luc is described as Leknaat's apprentice. This makes Luc a subordinate of Leknaat. Zerase may not be an apprentice, but is a subordinate all the same. Actually, I think the description of Luc as an apprentice is just a cover to avoid explaining why Leknaat employs a kid. It'd be like explaining why a newly-appointed corporate vice president is only 20 years old.

There's nothing precluding the possibility that Leknaat has other subordinates, and what little has been revealed to us only reinforces that possibility. Given that she describes herself as the guardian of the True Runes, it would make sense to delegate some of that authority when needed. Zerase obviously fills a delegated role of guardian, as does Luc. The question I'm pondering is, if Zerase truly is subordinate to Leknaat, and if Jeane (and apparently Eresh) share that association, what exactly are Jeane and Eresh respectively delegated to guard?

I suspect we'll wind up discovering that Eresh is associated with the True Rune that spawns Resurrection Runes (thus explaining Eresh's apparent transmigration abilities... perhaps Nagarea is home to the True Rune in question?), and likewise, Jeane has something to do with the True Rune that spawns the Charm Rune.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Desides wrote:Yes, there was. Zerase unquestioningly followed a command given to her by Leknaat. That is complete obedience. The characterization of Zerase's response as a challenge to Leknaat is wrong. Both the actual line and the delivery of said line do not reflect a challenge to Leknaat's authority, especially since Zerase carried out the order to reveal the Tablet of the Stars. If Zerase was not somehow a subordinate of Leknaat, said command would not have been followed.

[SNIP]

I suspect we'll wind up discovering that Eresh is associated with the True Rune that spawns Resurrection Runes (thus explaining Eresh's apparent transmigration abilities... perhaps Nagarea is home to the True Rune in question?), and likewise, Jeane has something to do with the True Rune that spawns the Charm Rune.
No there wasn't. The actual line and the delivery of said line hint at a relationship far closer to equals, than subordinate. The implications I get from it are that Zerase chose to obey because it wasn't worth the trouble of arguing with Leknaat. Something closer to, "If you're that uptight about it, fine." Maybe that means Leknaat's in a dominant position, but it doesn't neccessarily imply that Zerase serves her, though her position in the SoD is a strong arguement that she does in some way. I still find the idea of Leknaat being her boss in a direct way unlikely so I guess our positions are similar though you are leaning towards a closer association than I am.

When Eresh talked about "this vessel" I thought, since she's presumably from Nagarea, that it was "bumble language" because she is very serious about religion. That is, her spirit is willng, but her flesh is weak, not her current host body is weak. So all the Eresh talk about body switch or whatnot took me by surprise. Is there speculation that the body under those robes is a male body controlled by the female mind of Eresh? Or is she the priest from Nagarea and the wording of that particular line about her clothes a red herring?

PS: Do we know for sure that its not the Dawn Rune, or the Bright Shield that spawns resurrection runes?
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

PS: Do we know for sure that its not the Dawn Rune, or the Bright Shield that spawns resurrection runes?
The Dawn Rune can't spawn Runes and the Bright Shield Rune isn't a true rune. Though there is a lower tier of the Bright shield rune( the Shield Rune) I tihnk its more likely that it came from the Begining Rune. But then again the Begining rune has never existed...
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Wraith wrote:But then again the Begining rune has never existed...
we dont know that....the rune of beginning may have broken{decomposed or whatever} into bright shield rune and black sword rune just before han and genkakuu found them.
jannin

Post by jannin »

Desides wrote:
skymansxeno wrote:The reason I think this is because Zerase (who is very smart also about runes) who acted very arrogont to everybody, even to Leknaat (when she said "are you giving ME an order") seemed to act like Jeane is at least an equal.
Why does everyone get this line wrong?
I pull put out my Japanese copy to double check. And this is the orignal line:

"Anata ga toyu merei no koto wo arimasenka... meh yoi no desu." (Might be some error, but I think I get most of it here.)

It literally translates into: "I do not take order from you... meh... fine."
And the agreement term, "yoi" she used certainly aren't those you would use to address to your superior in Japanese language. That term is usually used when you address soemoen equal or inferior to you.

Zerase even complains about Leknaat saying too much after she left. I certainly don't see Zerase acting to be anythign close to be Lekenaat's ubordinate.
Last edited by jannin on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarBaby2

Post by WarBaby2 »

Personally I think Makinshi has got it just quite right.

Why? Well, first of all the "Something I forgot" comment when you get her to the Ancient Armes Dynsasty. Second because of her connection to Eresh who has, most likely, the same origins as Jeane.

I think that a few individuals, maybe priestesses or powerful mages, of the Armes Dynasty found a way to cheat death when their Nation vanished.

Jeane made herself immortal through means of a powerful spell and disguised her true physical form (maybe because she is realy a withered mummy, didn't she said something about "she'd scare people in her true form" in SIII?) by using the "Charm Rune". I know, SV is the first game she HAS that rune on her, but I guess she always had. Another evidence for that is her behavior. She always seams to be nice and calm and NEVER gets upset no matter what happens. Only an ages old beeing could be that patient.

Eresh on the other hand is a body hopper and reincarnates thru time. I don't think she is a true rune, but judging for her behavior and comments I think she was servant of some sort, and not a human one. I think she was some kind of an animal, maybe a holy temple guardian or something like that.

The only reason these two characters do not seam to be that important is that they are "watchers". I mean, they hail from an empire that is long gone, destroyed by it's very own rulers. It could be that the survivors of the old Armes Empire made a secret pact of sorts to "support" the following generations when runes are concearned. Another evidence for that is that Jeane is teaching runelore in Greenhill University in SII.

Unlike Leknaat and Zerase who are rune "guardians".

That's what I think, though. I found that SV did many little things to make this theory complete to me.
"Yea, you should fight fire with fire... Gee! You should fight EVERYTHING with fire!"
Desides

Post by Desides »

jannin wrote:I pull put out my Japanese copy to double check. And this is the orignal line:

"Anata ni toyu merei no koto wo arimasenka... meh yoi no desu." (Might be soem error, but I think I get most of it here.)

It literally translates into: "I do not take order from you... meh... fine."
And the agreement term, "yoi" she used certainly aren't those you would use to address to your superior in Japanese language. That term is usually used when you address soemoen equal or inferior to you.

Zerase even complains about Leknaat saying too much after she left. I certainly don't see Zerase acting to be anythign close to be Lekenaat's ubordinate.
Then why does the US version treat the scene as if Zerase is willingly acquiesing to Leknaat's request? I don't think this is a case of a mistranslation. Perhaps the idea is that Zerase doesn't appreciate being told what to do, superior or not. I can't really think of another explanation for this.

SpecialNewb wrote:Maybe that means Leknaat's in a dominant position, but it doesn't neccessarily imply that Zerase serves her, though her position in the SoD is a strong arguement that she does in some way.
That's what I was getting at: Leknaat's position is superior to Zerase's. Zerase may not like being told what to do, but does it anyway.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

son_michael wrote:
Wraith wrote:But then again the Begining rune has never existed...
we dont know that....the rune of beginning may have broken{decomposed or whatever} into bright shield rune and black sword rune just before han and genkakuu found them.
That would destroy Sars's coffie theory would it not? But yes I suppose, since Konami can change their story as much as they want, we don't know anything for sure.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Not nessarly Wraith, if you boil salt water you can remove the salt from it and get purified drinking water. I've never seen coffee chemicaly broken down so I don't know if the coffe essence can be removed with out destroying the water. Still if Salt can succesfully be removed and collected surly coffee grains can.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Coffee grains really are surly, aren't they? :P sorry I couldn't resist.