Confirmed Returning Characters[HUGE SPOILERS KEKE?]

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Maybe they had a plan for the star that Morgan would take if included and thus wasn't included.
LGM

Post by LGM »

I think we must remember that the plot writers of this game are not the original writers of the series, so they've looked for a thread of a storyline to base this game on (Georg/Lorelai/Killey), plus the continuing presence of Viki and Jeane. All of these characters are fan favorites, plus they have a connection to each other (Georg, Lorelai and Killey that is). Morgan was a stand alone character, and really was two dimensional when it came to dialogue (comparitively to someone like Georg who was part of the bad ending scenario in 2, or Killey who conversed with both Alex about Sindar, and Lorelai about their past). Also I don't think just because Morgan originated from Falena that its a big deal. Every character has to be from somewhere.

I also think that these writers want to be known for their own storylines instead of just copying someone else's work. Who knows if this game will produce a new character of the same stature of Viktor or Yuber or Killey?
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
epenthesis

Post by epenthesis »

YouKnowYouGeddoe wrote:I'm mad about better things too. Do you follow politics?
Touche.

I understand about continuity--I absolutely love it when one game makes a reference to another. But it's not always as practical to add them as it was in S2, where the Toran Republic was right down the block. There just aren't many S1 characters who are old enough (at least 20, I think) and not tied to a specific location. Even those who are--do we need to see them?

Better: do we need to see them now? What if there's a great Kilawher storyline coming up in S6? It'll be all the better for their not having wasted her in a walk-on one game back. I want characters to be deployed thoughtfully and reasonably, not just show up whenever they possibly can.
ShardStar wrote:Maybe they had a plan for the star that Morgan would take if included and thus wasn't included.
Doesn't look like it.
Night

Post by Night »

I think the main thing is that we didn't need Morgan to be in the game as an SOD. Just for the fans of SI it would have been nice to have had a mention, some indication of this brilliant child gladiator. Rather like Georg in SI, even something small like that would have been cool.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I think we must remember that the plot writers of this game are not the original writers of the series, so they've looked for a thread of a storyline to base this game on (Georg/Lorelai/Killey), plus the continuing presence of Viki and Jeane. All of these characters are fan favorites, plus they have a connection to each other (Georg, Lorelai and Killey that is). Morgan was a stand alone character, and really was two dimensional when it came to dialogue (comparitively to someone like Georg who was part of the bad ending scenario in 2, or Killey who conversed with both Alex about Sindar, and Lorelai about their past). Also I don't think just because Morgan originated from Falena that its a big deal. Every character has to be from somewhere.
Up to where I am in the game, Lorelai and Killey barely did anything. The game is about Georg, I suppose, and even then, he doesn't officially join you until some time later.
Who knows if this game will produce a new character of the same stature of Viktor or Yuber or Killey?
Thus I fail to see how Killey is supposed to be comparable to Viktor or Yuber. This game has managed to convince me that Georg is well worth the popularity he had been getting all these years, but that red-clad guy? I'm yet to be impressed.

Ah, it's a lost cause to begin with. At least Scarlet Moon Empire was mentioned by name over some group of City-States in the north, among the present allies of Falena in this game.
I like Suikoden I's characters as much as (if not more than) II's

...it's capricious that Suikoden V's returning characters are only from Suikoden II
Couldn't have said it better.

Also, I'm quite happy that we get to visit one of the Island Nations in this game. Brandeau and Flare got cameo roles (including their voices!), too. Of course, the star of the show was Lino en Kuldes...
Not only is it the fan favorite, but it's the game that sets up all of the necessary continuity for this game.
If Suikoden II is supposed to be a fan favourite and got that many connections, I guess Suikoden IV is equally a fan favourite as well due to the abundance of connections established in the game, huh?
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

patapi wrote:Also, I'm quite happy that we get to visit one of the Island Nations in this game. Brandeau and Flare got cameo roles (including their voices!), too. Of course, the star of the show was Lino en Kuldes...
How did these guys have cameos? Did you get to travel in time or did Skald or someone else tell stories about them?
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Via a play put on by a character named Chisatao.

....A puppet play, rather.
I hope everything is going delicious.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Via a play put on by a character named Chisatao.

....A puppet play, rather.
Ah, I remember hearing about Chisato's puppet show. I just forgot what the content of the play was about. Thanks for reminding me!
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
xhus135

Post by xhus135 »

so we get a puppet type mini game?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

okay, so Morgan would have been really young in Suikoden V's setting. he's probably not a gladiator, but he's certainly in Falena do you not agree? perhaps as a servant-type slave or a commoner aspiring to be a gladiator..
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

xhus135 wrote:so we get a puppet type mini game?
If only, but no. Chisato is responsible for changing the sound of your battle grunts. Like Window and Sound Sets, they have also introduced Voice Sets for you to collect and give to her.
melange

Post by melange »

I just finished the Japanese version of the game and if I remember correctly when you talk to Shoon (the young gladiator who the Prince duels in the preview movies) he does mention a fellow young gladiator he knew who was so good he was blinded and later shipped off to be sold in the north and Shoon never heard from him again. So now people can stop ranting about 'no mention of Morgan' in Suikoden 5.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Thank you for that, Melange. As you said, the debate can now be put to rest.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

Glory Hallelujah. Justice is served. Now all that's left is to wait for March 28.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

YouKnowYouGeddoe wrote:Glory Hallelujah. Justice is served. Now all that's left is to wait for March 28.
Haha, I just knew you would be the most satisfied after hearing that.