Milich Oppenheimer - The First Narcist

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Agremsep

Milich Oppenheimer - The First Narcist

Post by Agremsep »

The Genso Suikoden series always stand out from the other titles due to its unique features. One noticable constant in the series would be the existence of narcists in almost every title released.
But of course, to be appearing in almost every title, the narcists would need to have a strong introduction to the fans in the first game. Otherwise, people wouldn't even notice their existence or want them back at all.(well, some wouldn't care..but I do)

Konami gave us the first taste of a narcist character in RPG and it came in the form of Milich Oppenheimer. Unlike his future narcists brethrens, Milich has a prominent role in the story itself and perhaps has one of the most colourful backgrounds compared to his other counterparts.

You would know him as the Flower General of the 6 Great Generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Talking about strong introduction to a character. You would later know him as a having exequisite tastes in fashion and has profound skills in both sword and magic.

Later, you would meet him again as an enemy. Your encounters would be rather interesting and funny, and him being often refered as the Peacock Man. He rides a dragon and was the first general to actually layeth the smackdown on your army before you decided to run a reconnaissance.

He is a formidable enemy as well which knows his weaknesses. He kidnaps the poor doctor who was evading taxes when he found out you were seeking for an antidote. Then later, he even took matters into his own hands when you invaded his prison.

And of course, he killed Gremio. After he was defeated, he wasn't fear of death as well. But of course, given all this, you can choose to recruit him.

He even took it upon himself to guard the the graves of both Barborsa and Claudia. Perhaps a reconciliation for turning swords against his former emperor. In addition to that, he is a good poet and writer. He opens his castle to all travelling artists and painters.

Well, talk about the character. Talk about the first narcist. I would like to pay tribute for Milich Oppenheimer, perhaps, one of the most competant and perhaps, noble aristocrat to the core.

The future of narcists after Milich in the series seems bleak as they are often given non prominent roles or would just be there for laughter purposes. What's worst is their consistent love for true friendship to a point it was getting annoying and nowhere.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Of course I agree with everything you've said about Milich. He is my favourite character. However, I wouldn't say that the other narcissists are useless. But they do pale in comparison to him. He was a main character in Suikoden I, the other narcissists have only been side characters in the other Suikodens.

Vincent was a returning character. Simone is the only narcissist who isn't a sword fighter and can attack from the back row. He and Vincent's unite is pretty powerful especially with the rose bouquet.

Augustine was a powerful fighter and had the best Swing ratio in III. He also has the unique items of the rose and white rose broach.

Reinbach is necessary for recruiting a large number of other characters in IV. His Rose Rune and unite with Charlemagne is also quite powerful (if long winded in animation). He is also the only character who is actually dressed colourfully in that dreary (on purpose) game. He is also always in the paper under Micki's entries. In tactics Reinbach is not very important however, although he retains his rose rune and unite. They do get the Narcissist skill and unique armour but they're not that useful.

Plot wise Milich reins supreme but at the others aren't completely useless. I still always have them in my party.

Don't underestimate comic relief either. It helps make the more dramatic parts of the plot more powerful through contrast.
Pahn

Post by Pahn »

I think the narcissists are a stroke of brilliance on konami's part. i agree with the milich assessment. He is the only one that can be taken completely seriously, the others tend to have a sort of silliness around them. I still use all of them alot though, milich was a great character in S1. I used vincent and simone alot in S2, great unite. Augustine was an excellent character in S3, great swing, stong attack power, great repel/parry and he came with a custom tunic!. Finally I think the fact that you actually get scholtenheim reinbach III in your party in S4 was about the coolest thing ever.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

Glad to know there're people that acknowledges the importance of narcists in the Suiko series. And I am giving Milich credit for laying a strong foundation.

Oh ya, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Milich is the only one that has his own crib on one of the rooftops of Toran with its own customized flower designs and yes, that infectious song which plays everyone time you sees him.

And Milich's my favourite General among the 6, second would be Georg Prime. He just reek of awesomeness. If you exlude Crowley, Milich's magic stat is freaking high and he can fight decent too.

As for the futrue narcist, I hope they would be given more prominent roles. At least that Reinbach was much involved in the story on Suiko4.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Don't forget the play Milich wrote that you get to view in SIII, a great source of entertainment lol. I always loved making the dogs play as the Golden Hydra *hehe*
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

The only thing I disliked about the Narcissists was that they had such a large ego. People with large egos bother me. And Milich seemed a little aloof from the Liberation army. Always by himself or with the other narcissists. Maybe that's just because he's hurting from being controlled and having to fight against his beloved emperor.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well narcissists are going to be self-indulgent and self-absorbed. It goes with the title.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I saw them as funny characters except Milich. I never thought much of Milich but that changed now!
Buff

Post by Buff »

i just saw this pic from the site on the suikgaiden 2.

http://suikosource.com/images/gaiden2/3b/03t.jpg

was there any narcissists in s3,i don't remember being any.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

What the...... :shock:

Is that Milich on the far left? Why is he spotting a moustache?!
Belle

Post by Belle »

He's got a moustache in the first game. It's just very thin.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

Buff wrote:i just saw this pic from the site on the suikgaiden 2.

http://suikosource.com/images/gaiden2/3b/03t.jpg

was there any narcissists in s3,i don't remember being any.
wow. This is just my opinion but that picture looks gay to me. Anyways I just read through this thread and I now just noticed how important the narcists are. Milich was pretty cool but when I played that game for the first time i hated him a lot. Reason, he killed Gremio. Other than that he was a great character since he did give the liberation army a hard time. The other narcists were somewhat to needy if you ask me. Always talking about friendship. They did do some important things like reinbach in suikoden 4. overall Milich was the most important since he was a great general
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

Anyways I just read through this thread and I now just noticed how important the narcists are.
Thanks. I was hoping people would realise his significance. And I am hoping narcists in future installments would have more involvement in the plot.

That's why I am setting up Milich as the first and perhaps the best example. His character was plotted and planned so well that it made a wonderful transition to us (the players). In fact, most of the main characters of Suikoden 1 had wonderful plot....which looks like god-send now...if you compared to some of the recent titles.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Buff wrote: was there any narcissists in s3,i don't remember being any.
Augustine. There's always narcissists.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Also it's not just Milich haning out with Vicent and Simone but Esmerlda as well. Where did this pic come from? The Gaiden 2 game? The pic really isn't that gay I mean their just sitting there and Milich is looking at Esmerlda not Vincent or Simone.