Old character information?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
rhombus

Re: Old character information?

Post by rhombus »

Regardless of who you pick though, "story strength" is unaffected. Your super uber units can dominate every fight ever but still lose in scripted duels and cutscenes, or run away or even die. On the other hand, legendary characters storywise can be poor statwise, or even be at low levels - characters like Georg, Kyle, the six Zexen knights, etc. are actually much LOWER level than someone of their heralded status would imply (lvl 20 is pretty low for one of the strongest fighters in a nation or even the world). Also the fact that characters can have vastly different HP counts and damage potential at different points in the game (like how recurring bosses "level" along with you, or how recruitable characters can have huge amounts of HP as bosses, but when you get them have much less). There are just too many inconsistencies between gameplay and story, making using it as a basis of comparison pretty worthless and illogical.

And hell, even if you wanted to make it relevant, comparing between the games is impossible, as the systems can be totally different. For example, any top character in S5 would dominate anyone from the other games just cause the stats and damage numbers are soooo much higher (like your strong physical attackers can do 10k+ damage to multiple enemies). The characters from S3 would also probably beat down on the characters from 1 & 2 just cause the skill system gives them more potential in the long run. It's just not an equal playing field.
Erk in danger!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

That's kinda what i meant. It's rather silly to argue about two characters on two completely different games. You can make whomever you want the strongest person on that game. It's all how you play.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

This is my opinion.

Flik is the 2nd best swordsman in S1, 4th best in S2.

Viktor, Flik
Viktor, Pesmerga, Georg, Flik

I base this on playing and beating the games...leveling each playable character and using them.

Now in S3
Geddoe did not make my top 10.

I actually really like Geddoe
I just felt he was a bit lacking compared to Chris (Who I actually Dislike) and Hugo
Both of which had better stats and skills that translated on the battlefield.

Also you can base opinions on game strength.
Since the thing you base strength on is comparing them to characters in the same game.
If Geddoe isint in the top 5 best melee fighters in S3
I can say he isint as good as say Flik
Who is always around the top 5.

Its a very interesting duel...But without the true rune just winning it for him I dont see how Geddoe can measure up.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Iku

Post by Iku »

i believe your missing the point, sheena it could be argued is the better swordsman, compared to flik, because of his crazy potential on s2, but this is obviously not his 'real' strength its obvious that flik is a better swordsman but gameplay-wise hes only slightly above average with characters like eilie being his equal.
geddoe has had years of training/fighting that flik is too young to have not only that geddoe has a true rune so even if he were to lose a straight fight it would probably intervene and kill flik!
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Vermillion.Twilight

Iku wrote:i believe your missing the point, sheena it could be argued is the better swordsman, compared to flik, because of his crazy potential on s2, but this is obviously not his 'real' strength its obvious that flik is a better swordsman but gameplay-wise hes only slightly above average with characters like eilie being his equal.
geddoe has had years of training/fighting that flik is too young to have not only that geddoe has a true rune so even if he were to lose a straight fight it would probably intervene and kill flik!
Players of the first two suikodens will definitly get the impression Flik is one of the best swordsmen in the world. He is famous for his skill and good looks, and his role in defeating Barbossa. Stat wise he is well above average if you include S1 not only S2. However im mostly basing everything on what Flik has done...He and 5 others defeated a true rune (Barbossa) Liberated the scarlet moon empire, And then defeated Luca Blight, The Beast rune in city state. He has lead thousands into battle while geddoe a mere captain controls 4 not counting Ailia.
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Technically, Flik didn't defeat Luca Blight, and due to lack of canon, we don't know he was part of the party that fought the Beast Rune. As for the leading armies bit, that has nothing to do with sword skills; Flik was just plain more charismatic than Geddoe, more able to inspire confidence and loyalty in his troops. Raja was a great general, too, but she didn't use a sword...or any weapon, really.

The thing is, gameplay strength (stats, rune slots, etc) and plot strength (how awesome they are supposed to be) can't really be compared side by side, since often they conflict with each other. Plot-wise, Viktor seems to be an expert of thinking on his feet and perfect timing, but in random battles, he's agonizingly slow. The only real exception to this rule seems to be Suiko V, where Georg is supposed to be the best damn swordsman ever, and is an absolute death machine in random battles.

As for Flik vs Geddoe, both a good judges of character, and both are good at keeping a cool head in battle (ignore Suiko 1, because Flik was kind of a brat then). That being said, regardless of who won, I really doubt a killing blow would be dealt. Besides, if Geddoe got into serious trouble, his band of playing card buddies would jump in, and if Flik was being beaten, Viktor would come to his aid. No one in this scenario is a cold-blooded killer, so it's entirely possilbe everyone would walk away, alive and well.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Based on canon info, Geddoe beats Yuber in a 1 on 1 duel. That makes him a pretty frickin formidable fighter, considering how Yuber is pretty much divine in terms of fighting prowess both as a swordsman and as a rune-user.

Comparing stats of Suikoden 2 and Suikoden 3 characters ends up being an apple / oranges comparison because Suikoden 2 doesn't have Evade stats, and defense works differently in Suikoden 3. You also have skills in Suikoden 3 which augments stats in many ways, making most comparisons to Suikoden 2 incongruent.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Flik lost to Geddoe? I just do not understand where this information came from and if it was actually Konami that stated this or not. Geddoe is good, real good. But Flik is good himself. THere is no point arguing about this unless it was really stated by Konami. Kind of like saying Riou beat the crap out of Tir McDohl, which I know everyone here knows Tir can knock Riou faster :D
Nick Bruiser
Vermillion.Twilight

Nemesis wrote:Flik lost to Geddoe? I just do not understand where this information came from and if it was actually Konami that stated this or not. Geddoe is good, real good. But Flik is good himself. THere is no point arguing about this unless it was really stated by Konami. Kind of like saying Riou beat the crap out of Tir McDohl, which I know everyone here knows Tir can knock Riou faster :D
Id put money on Riou...Genkaku > Teo

Tonfa > Staff
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Nemesis wrote: THere is no point arguing about this unless it was really stated by Konami. Kind of like saying Riou beat the crap out of Tir McDohl, which I know everyone here knows Tir can knock Riou faster
A very good point. Fantasy match-ups like this aren't much fun because they can never be resolved by fans, because fans will not accept the hypothetical defeat of thier favorite character. It's a moot point, though I will admit it would be a cool looking fight.

And as for Riou vs Tir...why the crap would they fight? Again, another issue with these fan-battles: they rarely make sense. Example: Luca Blight vs the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. It makes no sense, but I promise you that somewhere, right now, two of our fellow nerds are arguing visciously over this.

Luca would totally win :P

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Vermillion.Twilight

They could fight over who has the better headgear

Bandana vs Circlet Tiara thingy
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Fights over headgear are moot because Sarasai always wins. His hat is actually the True Rediculously Awesome Hat Rune, so...yeah. What was the deal with his giant hat? It was so damn big!

Georg = Batman?
Vermillion.Twilight

Pfffffffft!!!

Either Killey's hat or Futch's dragon tiara
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

I, too, love the dragon tiaras, but Sarasai still wins by default because his hat is the size of a small moon.

Georg = Batman?
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

His hat reminds me of the romeo and juliet movie.... (not the one with DiCaprio in it)

http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?med ... eOffset=10

I wanted a better image, but aparently no one else was as in love with this hat as i was :(