Martha

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
The_Face_of_Death

Martha

Post by The_Face_of_Death »

I was just wandering about Martha, the lottery person at Budehuc Castle in S3. She said she was from the Grasslands. What clan is she from?
MY SWORD STILL THIRSTS FOR BLOOD!!!!!!!!
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

She is a Karayan, I believe.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
The_Face_of_Death

Hmm, she is dark skinned, but doesn't wear the same type of clothing.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

The_Face_of_Death wrote:Hmm, she is dark skinned, but doesn't wear the same type of clothing.
She probably doesn't wear the same dress as the Karayans because she doesn't want people to know her heritage. Also, I believe that Martha says at one point in the game (I believe in one of Thomas's Chapters) that she moved from Karayan to Budehuc a long time ago.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

she is a dark skin?? Mostl likely she is a Karayan that was raised up in a different type of area. Who agrees?
Nick Bruiser
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

I don't remember her saying anything about Karaya.

Could she be from the Safir Clan?
Playing Suikoden III......
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

She probably doesn't even know her own race! come on now.. she is most likely Karayan
Nick Bruiser
The_Face_of_Death

Moonbay wrote:I don't remember her saying anything about Karaya.

Could she be from the Safir Clan?
That's what I was thinking, about the Safir Clan thing. We barely know anything about them, anyways. The only thing that relates her to Karaya is that they sold the castle to Lucia.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Anyone notice that Martha and Hugo make no dialogue connection in-game at all. You'd think Martha would be like, "Oh, Hugo! It's you!" She knows who Lucia is. She MUST know who Hugo is. She's old enough, anyway.

And I think its stated that Martha IS Karayan.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Unless she hasn't been to Karaya in the past ~16 years.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Sickpup wrote:Unless she hasn't been to Karaya in the past ~16 years.
You do get hints htat while yes she is agrasslander, she largely has little ties left to it. Hence why she is rather upset at the idea of being uprooted. As far as she is concerned Budehuc was her home at that point.

But yes in all liklihood she moved from the Karayan villiage at some point for whatever reason.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: Martha

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I would guess that she was a member of the Safir clan, not just her but Piccolo also. They both have dark skin but their cloths dont fit in with the Karayans. They both have the exact same hats and footware, and have simular coats and leggings with simular colour schemes. This suggest that they come from the same place, they're close friends and Martha does state that shes a grasslander.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Jimba looks like a karayan, but we know he isn't one(he was a Zexen Knight). So clothes and skin color don't mean a whole lot. So Martha or Piccolo could be from any of the human based grassland's tribes, although Safir could make some sense because of their somewhat similar dress styles(mostly their shoes), assuming that they still both dress in the same manner as their long abandoned tribe. I'm also prepared to believe they aren't from any of them, but came instead from a non-tribal group of people living in grasslands, perhaps a trade caravan or the Ebony Moon Knights (always disappointed they never showed up...) Relationships they have between each other arise most likely from being neighbors for a long time, rather than any necessarily shared origins. Martha could know Lucia simply because everyone in the area knows Lucia. She is a prominent leader in the Grasslands. It would be odd if a Grasslander didn't know of her.

That Martha doesn't know Hugo actually makes a lot of sense assuming she isn't Karayan, given what Hugo says about the Karaya Clan, in that there is Lucia as leader, and then there's everyone else. So long as Lucia is around, Hugo isn't all that important, plus he is just a kid. If she was Karayan, she would probably recognize his name from gossip with her friends. Considering that in the game, almost every single Karayan you meet with Hugo addresses Hugo by name, even the random traders and kids you see in various places, so it would definitely be odd that there's no special dialogue between Martha and Hugo, if in fact Martha was Karayan.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The official 108 characters guide for Suikoden 3 states Martha is a member of the Karaya Clan.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Really a Karayan? Well their goes my safir theory. Why couldnt they put in atleast one member of that clan in the game, what a gip. Maybe Piccolo comes from Safir but im probabely clutching at straws there. Oh well cheers for that nugget of information Vextor mate. :)
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.