Luca might have had feelings for his mother?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Lani

Luca might have had feelings for his mother?

Post by Lani »

just to let you know, this scene is from a gaiden. i was looking for translations,
because im much too lazy to do my own. and,
i thought something luca said made it seem like he felt more
than what he should for his mother.
read this, and let me know what you think.

Jillia: But... brother...
That's... that's not going to bring Mother
back...

Luca grabs a fistful of Jill's hair

Jillia: Oh...
Luca: Jillia, your hair, your eyes, your lips.
If everything didn't remind me of our mother,
I would have strangled you with my two hands
long ago.
Jillia: ...
If that will ease your suffering,
I, I don't mind.
Luca: !!!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

This doesn't look like incest to me. More like deep hatred for his only known weakness.
I hope everything is going delicious.
peaceful_riou

Post by peaceful_riou »

>_< Yep... *sweats a little* Luca Blight always brags about how the strong get everything, and the weak perish... at his own hand I might add.... ahahaha... so I agree with Angelis_Taleria.
~"Not everyone can be happy at the same time, but at least everyone may find happiness sometimes."~
Lani

Post by Lani »

yeah, i know the pic, and i see what your saying.
but i thought he yanked her hair because he hated her for looking like his mother, when she wasnt even fully related to him.
(i dont know how to put it. but im assuming most of you know luca's mom was raped and jillia is the product of that?)

so, i agree with you.
but then that crazy idea hit me and i thought i should post it.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Lani wrote:yeah, i know the pic, and i see what your saying.
but i thought he yanked her hair because he hated her for looking like his mother, when she wasnt even fully related to him.
(i dont know how to put it. but im assuming most of you know luca's mom was raped and jillia is the product of that?)

so, i agree with you.
but then that crazy idea hit me and i thought i should post it.
Yeah, I believe it's common knowledge that their mother was raped by muse ruffians. I don't think that he hated Jillia because she looked like Sarah and wasn't fully related to him, I think he hated her for the fact that she looked like their mother and it reminded of him of why he hated the State so much and infuriated him to the point of wanting to inflict pain upon her but couldn't do it because in his own mind he would be no better than Darrel and those muse ruffians that raped his mother and that's the last thing Luca wanted to be; on the same level as someone from the state.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Oh wow, he's pulling her hair in that pic? I always thought her hair was just kind of moving like anime hair does and Luca was just making a fist. Never occured to me that he was pulling it for some reason...
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Lani

Post by Lani »

I think he hated her for the fact that she looked like their mother and it reminded of him of why he hated the State so much and infuriated him to the point of wanting to inflict pain upon her but couldn't do it because in his own mind he would be no better than Darrel and those muse ruffians that raped his mother and that's the last thing Luca wanted to be; on the same level as someone from the state.
ohhh okay~ i see what your getting at.
Oh wow, he's pulling her hair in that pic? I always thought her hair was just kind of moving like anime hair does and Luca was just making a fist. Never occured to me that he was pulling it for some reason...
yes. she brings up his mother in a conversation they were having in the royal tent, and in infuriates him.
thats the way i see it anyway. i could be wrong though.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

He doesn't hate Jillia because she looks like their mom. He hates her because she reminds him of the events that happened to him and their mother. Every time he sees her and her similarities he has to relive those events over and over again. He clearly states that the only reason she is around and he hasn't strangled her was because she looks like their mom which shows he loves his mother very much and he can't bring himself to harm someone that looks like her. So, the fact that Jillia looks like their mom is the only thing saving her. And that scene doesn't imply incest at all, just him being a mama's boy.
UberPendragon

Post by UberPendragon »

I don't think Jillia reminds him of what happened to his mother at all. I think he wants to kill Jillia because he believes she is weak, and possibly a threat. He doesn't truly trust her, and I don't think he's capable of love. You are all right though, that he spares her because she resembles their mother. Luca was full of rage and he often let that rage get the best of him, these are the times when he's cutting peoples heads off with a crazed look on his face. However whenever his rage tries to take control and kill Jillia, he sees his mother in front of him and he can't kill her.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

That thought process is flawed in so many ways. First, we see no evidence of Luca thinking about Jillia as either weak or strong. For the most part, we have a lot of evidence that he avoids her. Second, he wouldn't waste his time even addressing her if it was an issue about her weakness example with his father whom he loathes because he is a coward. Luca is obviously stronger than her so why would her being weak even be an issue.

Luca is obviously trying to cover for his own weakness in that he is an obvious mama's boy. He loved his mom very much and seeing Jillia reminds him of the pain of losing her. It reminds him of the event that took his most adored person from him and it reminds him of his own powerlessness to have saved her from what happened to her.

And yes, he couldn't kill Jillia because she reminded him of his mother. That is odd that you would ascent to that but not the fact that she reminds him of the event that happened to his mother. The trauma that he experienced by encountering what happened to his mother firsthand was obvious a shock that he never got over and just seeing another person who looks astoundingly similar to that person whom he loved dearly and whom he could not save is sure to have a long lasting mental effect. Thus, he hates Jillia for reminding him of his weakness, but he can't harm her because she resembles their mother. It all goes hand in hand.

And Luca has the ability to love. I believe he loved Jillia deeply. But, I do believe he could not bring himself near her due to the horrible memories. I think Jillia was what kept Luca docile and that's why he avoided her at all cost so he would not forget his revenge.
UberPendragon

Post by UberPendragon »

Luca does not trust Jillia, this is why he has Rowd spy on her. Jillia is not loyal to Luca and he knows this. To him Jillia is weak, if she were strong she would've wanted their father dead too. However Luca can not kill Jillia despite her weakness and despite the fact that he can't trust her. If Jillia reminded Luca of the experience from his childhood he would never be able to be in the same room as her without having an attack of some sort. However there are plenty of times when he and her are in the same room and neither is effected. When Agares dies for example. Also it is only after Luca realises he can't trust Jillia and that he can't kill her either that he sends her away from the capitol.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

That's ridiculous. Why would her wanting their father dead make her either weak or strong? First off, it is stronger to forgive than to hate. So, in hindsight it is Luca who is weak. And Luca doesn't trust anyone. So, of course he would have Rowd spy on her. And yes, she does not agree with Luca, but we see her trying to convince him and not conspire against him. There is no evidence of her trying to promote any negativity towards Luca. She clearly loves her brother. And what does that have to do with him hating or loving her? Whether Luca trust her is a non-issue.

And you say there are plenty of times. When?? I've only saw two instances when they were in the same room together and there was quite an effect on both of them...mostly Luca being quite rude to her and he does not try to stay close to her at all.

And let's be serious with the Agares death scene. They were all in shock except for Luca who conspired this. Also, it was an inauguration where all of the royal family had to be there. Aside from that, the scene was not even about Luca and Jillia it was about the murder of Agares. How could there be any focus on how Luca and Jillia behave towards each other at that time? That's an extremely bad example.

The scene with Luca and Jillia in the tent would have been a lot better. Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of the scene they have with each other in the tent in the Gaidens. That scene says alot about how Luca is conflicted with his feelings for Jillia.

And that was not the reason he sent Jillia to the capital. If you remember, they had to make a live sacrifice to the citizens of Highland. They sacrificed a likeness of the Princess. It would be kind of odd to have her walking around when she was supposed to be dead, right? But, that is irrelevant. You further prove my point. Luca could not kill Jillia nor did he have the desire to do so. She was his only weakness and the only reason for this is because of her likeness to their mother. Luca feared his feelings for her and being next to her made him weak.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Also that sacrifice was made by King Jowy, long after Luca had died.
bloggs24

Post by bloggs24 »

i think luca's loves jillia as a big brother would, im pretty sure if sum 1 was going to try murder her, hed jump in front and slice em in 2, i think when he says if she didnt remind him of there mother hed kill her, is hed forget she was relation, and kill her seeing as she would prob resemble the ruffian who raped there mother, and yes i think luca is capable of love, he clearly shows it, by all the stuff he went through, to get his revenge, if he didnt luv his mum, do you think he would care about revenging her, and if he didnt, why would it send him so ballistic that she did get raped.
Serpent

Post by Serpent »

Why did you bold the "your lips"?
You can close your eyes from reality but not memories.