Who Killed Edgar?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Vextor
Global Admin

Who Killed Edgar?

Post by Vextor »

The Pirate King Edgar was killed by an "unnamed pirate," who Brandeau killed in the very same skirmish. This unnamed pirate had the Rune of Punishment, which then went to Brandeau.

This supposedly happened relatively recently from the context of the year 305, when the whole Island Nations War took place. However, we still don't know who it was that killed Edgar, and passed on the rune to Brandeau.

The owner of the Rune of Punishment before Edgar was Rakgi's dad, who went missing 1 or 2 years before Suikoden 4's timeline (Konami has only officially stated "1 or 2 years ago."). Would it be possible that Rakgi's dad was this "unnamed pirate?"

Rakgi's dad left his family because he didn't want the rune to harm them. Besides that, nobody knows where Rakgi's dad may have gone after he left Na-Nal. It is entirely possible that he was killed by some other pirate, but if he had such a powerful rune, it would make sense that he would use it to defend himself.

As the game has demonstrated, the Rune of Punishment doesn't kill it's user upon it's first use all the time. It seems to depend on the degree to which it is used, such as how Glen and the Queen of Obel use it to annihilate entire fleets (resulting in their deaths). We see Brandeau use it to a lesser extent, and he did not die. Thus, it is possible that Rakgi's dad managed to survive for a while, killing pirates (which would be a "good" thing for an ex-fisherman like him to do), and receiving some notoriety.

It's just a hypothesis, but I don't find any evidence that would possibly counter it. I personally like the idea, because it adds a little more to the flat character that is Rakgi's dad.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

well I think brandeau mentions that hes used the rune more than once when he uses it on hero 4

Rakis dad must of been very depressed with the rune of punishment and as such turned to A life of crime on the high seas, but if edgar had the rune first then maybe edgar retrieved the rune on the island and rakghis dad went after him fearing that A pirate would cause too much chaos with that rune. He then was able to kill edgar but brandeau shortly killed him after that and thats hwo the rune was given to brandeau

In fact I think thats A great explanation explaning how edgar got the rune and how rakgis dad would want to kill edgar to make sure he dosent use the runes power for evil, I can only summize that after he killed edgar he became A pirate since he could never go back to his family and brandeau tracked him down and killed him

I think this is A very good theory
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

It certainly sounds correct, as if it was straight from the text from the game, SARS, I'm fully behind you on this theory. As you said; I think there is no possible way to counter it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, Edgar never had the Rune of Punishment. Some people seem to have been confused by some of the info floating around, but the old books, along with Brandeau's recollection in the Rune of Punishment, says that the rune went directly to Brandeau when he was fighting against the "unnamed pirate" with Edgar.

Also, Rakgi's dad wouldn't have had to live a "life of crime." He could have simply been a "pirate killer," who simply had nothing to lose.
True Wind Bearer

Confirmation - Kika was in love with Brandeau, right?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, she was lovers with Edgar. She was good friends with Brandeau but I also get the feeling from Brandeau's monologue inside the Rune of Punishment that he had some feelings for Kika.

Well, actually, Kika's feelings against Brandeau may have been a bit more complex than mere friendship as well, based on what she says... but they were never "involved."
True Wind Bearer

Ok, that explains an awful lot of things to me, I was just curious. I was thinking back to the night before you take El-Eal when you talk to Kika.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

wait I thought she was in love with edgar

brandeau? boy reading post and stuff really confuses the old brain lol

guess my whole theory is shot down.. well Im going to bed, gnight all

edit: good I was right about kika and edgar! lol well once again good night all
Hero of Punishment

Post by Hero of Punishment »

The Rune of Punishment was on the Queen of Obel, then Rakgi's father, then Cray's son, then Cray, then Brandeau, then Glen, and lastly the hero.
It makes more sense to me that it was Gharam Cray that killed Edgar, as Cray realy isn't all that nice a guy, plus his left forearm is mechanical. This might be because Edgar or Brandeau cut it off before Edgar was killed, so the Rune then transferred to the next viable host: Brandeau. Does this sound logical at all or have I screwed up somewhere?
~The Rune of Punishment can never fall into another's hand, for if it does, the cycle of Atonement will continue again...
Hero of Punishment

Wait, I'm wrong. It went from Cray to his son, then his son died using it to protect his village from a pirate atack. Edgar was likely killed by the Rune, and it then transfered to Brandeau
~The Rune of Punishment can never fall into another's hand, for if it does, the cycle of Atonement will continue again...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, Edgar never got the rune on himself.
Hero of Punishment

I know when the hero uses the Rune, he has four dreams inside the Rune regarding the past owners. The first is Rakgi's father, when the hero first gets the Rune. The second is Cray's son, after fighting the giant crab to save Chiepoo. The third is Brandeau, in Obel when Kooluk first attacks. The fourth is Glen, when retaking Obel from Kooluk.

The reason I say Cray's son or Cray himself is because there's a character inbetween Rakgi's father and Brandeau. Cray either killed Edgar then cut off his arm, Brandeau might have cut off his arm, or Cray cut off his arm, the Rune went to his son, and his son killed Edgar before the Rune took his life.

Sorry the first two posts didn't make enough sense...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Cray, Cray's son, and Edgar have no relation. Edgar was killed by a renagade pirate who happened to have the Rune of Punishment. The rune then passed onto Brandeau.
Hero of Punishment

Really??? Why do the memories in the Rune skip this guy then??? Why put Cray's son in their instead of the pirate? Is it just something they forgot to put in their?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The rune was posessed by countless people during the 15 years after the Queen of Obel used the rune. Many of them are never mentioned in the game (because they are not important). For example, between the time the Queen loses the rune, and when Rakghi's dad finds the rune, there's about 10 years where the rune was probably passed on through many people.

Brandeau had the rune for only a few months, and before that, Konami lists "unknown bearers" before they list Cray's son.