Hugo's Father

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Maybe, but I don't think that Georg is the type to father a child and then just leave her.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

It's possible he never knew. I have a couple friends, one in Air Force, the other got out. They didn't find out she was pregnant till after he was deployed, and she was about 3 months along. As for the comment about Georg not being the kind for a one night stand, a.) sex is something a lot more casual and less scrutinized in the Suiko world (someone already pointed out Rina, let's not forget our other horny girls), and b.) who said it was a one night stand? Georg was in the Grasslands for some time it sounds like, so what's to say he didn't run into her and spend a great deal of time with her there, screwing around a little, and then they both went their seperate ways after a time, only to find themselves on opposing sides of the Dunan Unification War? As it stands, from the evidence we have, he seems the most likely suspect for me.

Black Hair? Yup. Brave and honorable? Yup. Great warrior? Oh heck yes. Spent time in the grasslands? Bingo. Someone we'd already seen prior to 3? Yes again.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

What makes you think Georg would not father a child and leave? Georg is notorious for having a wanderer's spirit and not staying put in a place for too long. He serves his duty and then he is gone. It very possible that when Georg met Lucia she knew this about him and knew that he would not be the type to stick around, nor did she need him to do so. She is a very strong women and if she truly cared for Georg, she would not make him stay because she would know that he is the type that needed to travel the world.

Besides, it is very possible that she knows he will plan to return eventually. The entire village helped to raise Hugo perhaps she simply didn't need Georg around and perhaps he was needed someone where else at the time. There could be any number of reasons, but Georg seems like the most obvious choice here. He would have ran into and known Lucia if he spent any time in the Grasslands and we know for a fact he spent quite some time there.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I don't believe that Georg would father a child and then leave because he is a man of honor and principle. I believe that his honor would make him stay and be there for that child.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Suikox has a great thread up about how Lucretia is Hugo's dad. Its worth a shot! Check it out! :D
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

So who's his mom then? Rina? =P
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

I don't believe that Georg would father a child and then leave because he is a man of honor and principle. I believe that his honor would make him stay and be there for that child.
But Georg is also a man that puts his duty first. If he was called off to war or had some other pressing issue to attend to then he would feel compelled to go. This also stands in line with his honor and principles. Lucia certainly does not seem to upset that the father isn't around, so it could have been an amicable agreement between both of them. Remember that also puts duty first, this is evident in the fact that she allows Hugo to go fight when her principles as a mother would be to protect him from all harm. Honor and principles are often sacrificed in order to handle ones duty.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

This debate has brought me out of Suikoverse retirement.

Since the beginning of human artistic endeavor, honorable people doing dishonorable (or questionably honorable) things has been a subject worthy of address in literature, drama, etc. Furthermore, if I had a dollar for every novel - not just pulp, either, but SERIOUS novels by Hardy, Faulkner, Dickens, et. al. - about circumstances surrounding the estrangement of fathers and sons, I'd have. . . you know, several dollars.

Let me also point out that there are a lot of (otherwise) honorable people in America and probably the rest of the world too who have fathered kids out of wedlock, maybe without even knowing it.

Georg wouldn't be a very interesting character if he always did the right thing. And when the "right thing" itself is nebulous, as it might well have been when he met Hugo's moms, the situation holds that much more dramatic potential.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

Rezard wrote:One thing that bugs me is the fact that the his father’s identify is kept a secret by Lucia. Why doesn’t she tell him? Why doesn’t she tell everybody? "It’s X, the honorable hero who fought in the Dunan unification war."

Keeping it a secret makes me thing that his father must have a pretty bad reputation and even the "honorable man" can be just a lie. I think she doesn’t tell Hugo not to involve or annoy him.
Just ran across this when reading through the whole thread, and I'd like to point out that Georg does have both a stigma on him (as of Suiko II, he was still known to have killed the Queen of Falena), and yet he is in actuality an honorable man.

The problem we seem to run into with any theory on this subject is that although a lot of people are possibilities, there's no good evidence that actually points to them. Until we see more in another installment, there's no way we'll be able to come up with anything other than a list of potential fathers.

Another quote from way back:
jonathan_priest wrote:But there are all sorts of questions like that. Who was Shanon's father? It's assumed that Meg is Belle's mother but who's her father? All sorts of things like that with unresolved mysteries. It's probably one of those things that will never be answered, much like why Georg killed the Queen of Faleena and stuff like that. Too bad too, it'd be nice if Kidd actually gave some useful information like Richmond. Oh well.
Given the release of Suiko V, it appears Konami isn't quite so averse to answering some of the mysteries. We can only hope we get answers to other questions in the future.
lifesucksdie

Post by lifesucksdie »

Georg is not the father... more than likely he's karayan cause Hugo is black as a bitch!1
blahblahblah.
Night

Post by Night »

Not to get all "scientific" or anything, but it is perfectly possible for an interracial couple to produce a black baby. Thus Hugo's skin colour doesn' necessarily tell us anything about his father.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Archer

Post by Archer »

I may be gravely mistaken because I havent seen anyone mention it but is it not possible that Jimba is Hugo's father? The reasons why I'd think this are mainly the traits they share; They both have rather milky complexions (taking in to consideration Hugo is Karayan and all the others seem much darker) and they both have quite prominant bright eyes. Lucia's eyes are a fairly pale purple but they come across quite dark. Jimba was there when Hugo was born and he looked pretty happy. Lucia cared about Jimba a hell of a lot going by his death scene and I think the two of them had a very strong relationship based on respect and understanding. I could easily see Jimba being Hugo's father unless theres some kind of 'Its impossible because Jimba was at [this place] when Lucia was at [that place]' reason. If Konami had wanted Hugo's father to not be of importance they would have killed him off early or simply not mention him. (ie. Belle's story) I think it would have been perfect irony to have him there all along save Lucia feeding Hugo some story about his dad being a sharp looking item vendor she met in a passing town. I could be wrong but thats how I always saw it. o:
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

My memory may betray me, but if I remeber correctly Hugo's father was mentioned as somebody we already knew from past Suikodens (before III, only I and II). This was mentioned in a Suikoden interview, someone please confirm this.

So he can't be anyone we saw for the first time in Suikoden III.
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

I don't think the source actually ruled out III, but it seems that it's official that Hugo got his black hair from his father (haven't seen the source myself, though). This would rule out Jimba, unfortunately.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Really? :( Thats a shame, I thought it would have worked nicely. Well I'm baffled then.