The Eightfold Rune

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Bright shield

Post by Bright shield »

I have no idea how shield can represent chaos, though.
I've always thought of the Suikoden heros being the rebelious factors against some overwhelming grand scheme. Possibly against some kind of justice and law of the way things should have turned. Just my thoughts.
This is the best it could be, in the best of worlds.
Vincent of Scarlet Moon

Post by Vincent of Scarlet Moon »

'Shield' protects the people and allows them to do as they wish, while 'Sword' represents tyranny and oppresion, thus restricting the choices of the people.

That's one way of changing it about.
Last edited by Vincent of Scarlet Moon on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bright shield

Post by Bright shield »

That does'nt diverge to far from my reasoning; I'll go with that Vincent.
This is the best it could be, in the best of worlds.
Kahlai

Post by Kahlai »

I think Chaos is mostly just a word that could also be "change" or "upheaval (sp?)"

Had the sword-Order-conquered the shield-Chaos-then Highland would be bigger, the tiffs between Toran and Jowston would cease, and "order" would rule the area.

However, as Chaos wins (sorry for that spoiler, but I'm sure you could figure it out anyways), Harmonia and Dunan start fighting over territory, a new country is made almost overnight, and "change" and "chaos" take hold.

Whoa, that's a stretch. It makes sense in my head, but I'm having troubles translating it into words.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

In Suikoden III why did Luc never mention anything about Yuber having a True Rune? He seemed to point out every single other True Rune very easy. I also noticed that in Suikoden III, in Luc's POV, when you use Yuber's runes, one of them was the "Eight-Devil" Rune, and not the Eight Fold, and it didn't say anything about being a True Rune. So I am in a state of confusion as to that.
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Who knows? Pesmerga could be holding on to the other eight-devil rune (if there is two halves) and add eight-devil and eight-devil to get eight-fold.
It's just a theory.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Luc also doesn't point out the Night Rune, which is with Edge in S3. I don't think it's odd that Luc doesn't point out the Eightfold Rune, since it would be a pretty random comment to make. Also, the relationship between the Eight-devil and Eightfold Runes is unknown, except for the fact that Eight-devil is a lower-tiered version of Eightfold. This isn't to bash your theory, Lilly, just pointing out the facts.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Luc only was interested in the Elemental True Runes for his purposes and he already knew or had an idea of their particular locations beforehand..all except for Geddoe at least until he uses it. Yuber probably has his True Rune concealed so that it can't be detected, much the same way that Luc hid his, how Geddoe hid his, and how Wyatt hid his.

It is possible to hide a True Rune from a True Rune bearer just like it is quite easy to hide it from others. I'm not even sure if Luc knows that the Zodiac Sword is an incarnation of the Night Rune. Besides, Luc never had a real encounter with the Zodiac Sword. Yuber uses the lower tier form of the Hachifusa Rune, which is the Eight-Devil Rune, so it is not guaranteed that it would be obvious to Luc that he is using a True Rune at all.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

My point is that, in every Suikoden every True Rune was acknowledged, and you know this is true. Soul Eater, Bright Shield, Black Sword, Night, and so on.
The Fire Hero

Post by The Fire Hero »

The Bright Shield and Black Sword runes are not True Runes. They are both halves of the True Rune of Beginning.
Can't we all just get along?
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I know but they were both acknowledged right? Even if they were halves of a True Rune.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Not really cause there are 27 and they do not count(exept for The BEgining) plus they don't give immortality.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

How were they not acknowledged? In Suikoden III Lucia mentioned that she had fought the opposing army in the Dunan war (part II), and that the leader had a true rune(something down that line). I remember Aila said that they were cheaters (or something) for that. If they dont mean to make reference to the Bright Shield, then there must be some mysterious hidden rune I am not aware of.
Oh yes and Yuber also acknowledged it. Even though he hates it.
Kahlai

Post by Kahlai »

And we don't know if the half-true runes grant immortality or not. Genkaku and... Cunningham, I think... removed them, so we don't know if they would have lived forever. Leknaat has lived for a long time with only half of a true rune...

And I'm pretty sure Luc knew the Zodiac sword is a true rune. He fought in the Gate Rune wars and the Dunan Unification war, where Viktor used the zodiac sword. Luc would have to know.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Bright Shield and Black Sword do not grant agelessness. Leknaat's case is different, because the rune was full in the first place. It's hard to explain, but the halves of the Gate Rune grant agelessness while Black Sword and Bright Shield do not.