Marley Family Theory

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 66df3fae94

In this thread SARS (who wrote Kahn's entry) says that Neclord, not some other vampire, destroyed the Marley's domain in Harmonia. The wording in Suikosource is slightly off.

Kahn's grandfather was probably the first person to be killed by Neclord. Running away is always an option. I'm pretty sure Kahn said that he was with his dad when he was killed. So obviously escape is an option. Or maybe the bond between Kahn and his grandfather was deeper than the bond between Kahn and the other Marleys so he only mentions his grandfather. Giving people a speech of which members in your family have been killed by Neclord is kind of pointless.
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Kahn has a fairly obvious infactuation complex with Neclord, probably derided from the traumatic experience of his father's death. However, he would be likely to hunt other vampires to keep his skills sharp, even if he didn't take much comfort from it.

The rest of the Marley family through history have most likely been hunting vampires in general terms rather than Neclord in particular. We do not know the particulars of the grandfather's death, but the idea that he underestimated Neclord believing him to be just another vampire cannot be discounted.

As the sealing technique used was supposedly from Kahn's father then he too may have been obsessed with killing Neclord for the death of his father, a trait which passed down to Kahn. Here the assumption would be that although the seal held then they couldn't manage to affect Neclord so the father's most likely cause of death was defeat by Neclord's minions.
If the seal was still in place for a while it would explain how Kahn managed to escape Neclord's wrath.

This would have led him to researching ways to damage Neclord when he was trapped, and to reduce his power so he couldn't effectively fight back; hence he would eventually come up with the neccessity of the Star Dragon Sword to attack Neclord, and the presence of Sierra to calm the Blue Moon Rune.

Once Neclord was gone then Kahn would have found himself at a turning point: he could have continued as a vampire hunter even though he found little satisfaction against other vampires, or he could have decided to change his life and do something that was down to him and not be forced by his family's past.
In the end he chose the latter and decided to train as a mineralogist; probably under the feeling that his recently departed relatives would understand, even if those further back would not.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

So, I think we can agree and conclude together that the Marley family are regular vampire hunters until Grandpa Marley met Neclord and kicked the bucket. So, is Papa Marley and Kahn turned Neclord into his life long vengeance. Once Neclord is dead, Kahn has fullfilled his goal and retires as a mineralogist.
I think that is simple and gullible enough.

Now, whether if other members of the Marley family exists as vampire hunters despite Kahn's retirement, is still a question here.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I would certainly expect it. If they plan to make more games that take place in the past, I see a good chance of seeing more of the Marley's, possibly even the death of Grandpa Marley at some point.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

A simple solution to the questions could be derived from when then Marley family's domain was attacked by vampires or a vampire. Is there an exact historical statement on this? If the domain was attacked during Kahn's grandfather's time, then we can assume that the Marley's only hunted vampires in order to find and destroy Neclord.

If the Marley domain was attacked by vampires before Kahn's grandfather and father were destroyed by Neclord, then we can assume that the Marley family hunted vampires before they decided to direct their sights on Neclord. So, is there an exact statement as to when the Marley family began hunting vampires and when Neclord destroyed the Marley domain in Harmonia?
Id

Post by Id »

Jowey Atreides says there's an exact statement. Ask him about this.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I think asking here is just fine. If someone has an answer to the questions I asked, then they can post them right here and then the discussion about whether or not the Marleys hunted vampires or just Neclord would be answered once and for all. So, if someone has an answer to the questions, then go ahead and post them, if not then just ignore the questions or say I don't know or if there is no information to provide then say that, as well.
Id

Post by Id »

Just read the rest of this thread, its already been discussed, people said that I'm wrong period and then later changed their opinion because 2 mods agreed with me. So I don't know what the marley's did.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Then there was no need for you to answer my question if you didn't know. lol. And I don't want that to come off as rude by any means. I'm just looking for an answer to the questions I asked. All the aforementioned statements have been circumstantial. What I'm looking for is factual evidence as to when the Marley family began hunting vampires. I guess that information does not exist.

Shirofan said that they hunted vampires through history, so I was of the idea that there may be an exact historical time in history according to Konami in which the Marleys began to hunt vampires, more likely sometime in a distant past, but just saying through history could mean as little as within Kahn's lifetime or as far back as several generations. I guess there's no exact answer.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

Id wrote:Just read the rest of this thread, its already been discussed, people said that I'm wrong period and then later changed their opinion because 2 mods agreed with me. So I don't know what the marley's did.
No, it is not because of 2 mods agreed with you. It is because they were able to provide sufficient facts and logic reasonings to back up their points and convinced the other parties to change their opinion.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I think Id was doing quite well, perhaps s/he persuaded the mods?
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

"I am currently re-playing Suikoden 2 again (read my signature ) and I just finished the part where I fought the Abomination (meeting Kahn obviosly). Well, under first impressions, Kahn said " My family has hunted vampires for generations." "

I got that impression,too. I thought that he haunted vampires all over, you know the Hellsing type vampire hunter, but now that Jowy mentioned it, it does make sense, I mean Kahn and the Marleys had motive enough that would make them ambitious enough to be vampire hunters to kill Neclord out of revenge, thats the most clear reason.

BTW I always found Neclord to be annoying and a weak villian. he just acted stupid..
Id

Post by Id »

He was an interesting character in the first Suikoden, and I felt that it was cool that they had him actaully survive being killed and appear in the second. He was essential to Viktor's character, since northwindow was to be a part of suikoden 2.
i just wish they would have stuck with the name North Wind village the way they spelled it when mentioned in the first suikoden
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Probably another translating error. They seem to have a lot of those.

To be honest, I though Neclord was one of the creepiest villians in the Suikoden world. Only one I found as scary-looking as Neclord (Yes, I find Neclord scary-looking:P) was Luca Blight. Plus, because Neclord's undead, you always gotta go through the whole thing of fighting him and not getting so much as one hit on him without the Star Dragon Sword.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

That was abit weird, I didnt find Neclord scary at all, infact I found him funny, in an idiot sort of way, I didnt hate Neclord or anything, just thought his character was weak.