Leknaat

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

I highly doubt Barbarossa is alive. If he was alive, history of Suikoden world would've been much different, since he was an emperor after all and had a lot of loyal subordinates. He wouldn't just disappear and start a new lif as a farmer now, wouldn't he? Not Barbarossa, no way... 8)
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. He deserted his duties in order to cater to the needs of a woman whom he knew was wrong, but loved her because she resembled his dead wife. Barbarossa is merely a man, no matter if he was an Emperor. He is very capable of being burdened by the responsibilities he must have faced. I think he would give up those duties as a means of atoning for what he did to his country out of his own selfish desires.
Fundertaker
Location: DeathValley, Underworld (The World where Deadmans come)

Post by Fundertaker »

I have a theory that what you just said is the drawback of the Soveriegn Rune (simply put, although the sword make his bearer a ,almost, total sovereigner, it causes him to lose his political power and then go living as a miserable and poor person). I know that it is attached to the sword, but I think that its effects can alastrate to the owner of the sword.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yeah, it seems as though Barbarossa can utilize the Sovereign Rune without it being attached to him, so I don't see why it wouldn't affect him as well.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

Yeah, he is only a man after all, but somehow I still doubt he would simply go away after all that happened. No, I think he wanted to make up for his sins and take his and Windy's life for the common good. That's a lot more like Barbarossa...
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Well, if they didn't survive then he suceeded, but if they survived then I doubt he saved himself. Windy would have had to protect them both, but the fact that he used the Sovereign Rune to negate her magic would make that impossible. So, if by fate they both lived or he lived, I think he would not return. He would try to atone for his sins by isolating himself from his kingdom which he led into ruin like kings of old. I could certainly see him living out his days with Windy and changing her heart. I think Barbarossa lost his interest in the Scarlet Moon Empire, but his new goals were to help remove the darkness in Windy's heart. He couldn't possibly go back to ruling a country like that.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

demon eye wrote:Well, if they didn't survive then he suceeded, but if they survived then I doubt he saved himself. Windy would have had to protect them both, but the fact that he used the Sovereign Rune to negate her magic would make that impossible. So, if by fate they both lived or he lived, I think he would not return. He would try to atone for his sins by isolating himself from his kingdom which he led into ruin like kings of old. I could certainly see him living out his days with Windy and changing her heart. I think Barbarossa lost his interest in the Scarlet Moon Empire, but his new goals were to help remove the darkness in Windy's heart. He couldn't possibly go back to ruling a country like that.
True, true...but there's no way he would spend the rest of his days with Windy. He never loved her, nor did she loved him, he only allowed her to stick around because she reminded him of his dead wife. It was probably after her death that he lost interest in the Empire...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Barbarossa did love Windy, and he says himself it was not because of her resemblance to his deceased wife Claudia, but because of the deep sadness he saw inside Windy.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

Sadness? but I always tought it was because she resembled his wife. What kind of sadness could Windy's heart possibly hold?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Losing the Gate Rune Clan, aimlessly wandering around trying to find the Soul Eater, the general sadness conerning agelessness, etc.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

Leknaat has been the enforcer of balance or peace or destiny or whatever she wants to call herself, for most of the series. Come to look at it, she's some survivor of the Gate Rune War or whatever it is. Yeah, she has a personal agenda with Windy. So, that pretty much explains her involvement in Suikoden 1.

But the problem is what in living hell is she appearing all over the Suikoden timelines and budging her nose whenever some True Rune is involved. Yeah, there's something about fullfilling the 108 Stars of Destiny, etc etc. But what does she have to do with that? She's like some survivor of some war and she has the Gate Rune which summons monsters. What makes her think that she's so special that she took it upon herself to be the world's destiny balancing peace making or whatever enforcing fairy god mother?

I mean, is there a logic explaination that why she has taken the role? What is her motive? Does she have some sick obsession with 108 Stars of Destiny and keeps appearing to fiddle with the Tenkai Stars?
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

i wouldnt be that extreme, but i do often wonder where leknaat got her title from

i belive that leknaat uses her knowledge of true runes and her seer powers to manipulate the young impressionable new rune bearers. we have remember that what saddness windy felt leknaat also went through the same thing, especially now that lucs gone her saddness will return, and as weve seen sadness can lead to anger, hatred and revenge.

a curious point to note is that windy also has half the gate rune, but she (to the best of my knowledge) has never popped up saying she is keeper of the balence, so that makes me think that it is not a tile given to the holder of the gate rune.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

i htink she uses her half of the rune to protect true rune bearers. she knows about them so she helps them understand their burden.
Relisus

Post by Relisus »

Before reading these posts I figured that they both lived the fall. After reading all these posts I have changed my thoughts. I believe Windy did live the fall but I don't think Barbarosa did. The Soverign Rune, like people have stated, is in the sword and not Barbarosa himself. That means that he is not immortal (correct me if I am wrong), so that fall I would think would kill him. I believe Windy having just lived that fall and realizing that all she had done to gain power in Toran and to find the Soul Eater had failed, she decided to leave this land and regroup to launch another assault and try to get the Soul Eater again at a later time. What if she also picked up Barbarosa's sword and took it with it. I am expecting to see Windy show up in a later game with her new righthand man wielding Barbarosa's sword.

That is just what I think.
You ever wanna talk Suikoden feel free to IM anytime.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Somehow I don't think she would entrust that Rune to someone else, though I do like the idea of her taking it and burning Barabosa's body, I don't think she loved him. It's really hard to say what they are going to do with Windy and Barabosa since they have had a change of the creative story staff, old story lines may have been dropped in favor of new.